Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: roe for sturgeon fishing  (Read 1363 times)

robbo1970

roe for sturgeon fishing
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »

Hi, I have a fair bit of boraxed roe in my freezer and I was wondering if it would be any good for sturgeon. I want to take my two year old out fishing and we can fish quite comfortably at at three road pier with him in his stroller.
Thanks for any advice.

Rob

1son

Re: roe for sturgeon fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »

Yup should work I've landed dino's on old cured roe from past salmon seasons hopefully you get into a monster good luck out there.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:41:47 PM »

Not too many Sturgeon fishermen use Boraxed cured roe, they use fresh or fresh frozen roe that is uncured or just salted a bit.

You'll probably catch more salmon than anything and there is a bait ban on so if a CO see's you you better have a decent sized hook so he knows your not BS'ing him cause if he see's cured roe on a salmon sized hook I don't think there's much grey zone to be had there for ya, just sayin bud.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:36:10 AM »

You may want to fish from shore, away from all the lumber. Saw a fellow fight a 5'-6' sturgeon today off the end of the 3 road pier, not much he could do with it once he got it to the pilings other than wait for it to get tangled & snap the line. But they are definitely there!
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.