Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: versi tip ii  (Read 4079 times)

koifish

versi tip ii
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »

i bought that recently and someboyd told me for salmon i should use sink tip and which i have whichone should i use tho?

i mostly fish at the vedder which tip should i use??

thanks

Floating
Clear Intermediate (1.5 - 2ips)
Type 3 Sink (3 - 4ips)
Type 6 sink (6 - 7ips)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: versi tip ii
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »

I primarily use my type 3, 6 and even 8 fishing the Vedder. It depends on the depth and speed of the water and how close to the bottom you want to get. then you add in weighted or unweighted flies..........etc.

don't forget you will need to learn to mend your line to aid in getting that tip to sink and present the fly properly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

koifish

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »

hi what do you mean by mend your line? thanks i dont want to use a line that will sink to fast i dont wanna get snagged on bottom lol

is it true sinking tip catches more fish?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »

Mending is correcting the lay of the line to account for the effects of current and or wind. This can be done on the cast which is common for trout fishing or after the line falls on the surface and then is lifted or flipped , usually upstream  to keep the floating portion from traveling downstream faster than the sunk portion. If the line isn't mended a downstream arc will form and make the fly travel faster than is desired.

Do some google searches on mending a fly line: http://midcurrent.com/techniques/a-mending-primer/

As to which tip: the clear is perfect for slow or 'frog water' found in some pools and some tail outs of the lower section of the river. A type 3 will do most of the work in faster sections when the water is low like now. Deep (3 to 6 feet or deeper) faster parts will need a type 6 or 8 and a downstream swing to fish. Most of the time it's springs and chum that are in those slots.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

koifish

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »

Hey I'm sorry for late reply I forgot the pass and just reseted now
How do I tell which tip is which ?
I know the clear and yellow is floating but there are 2 greens and they do not specify only 1 green one says S6 which I'm
Assuming it means sinking tip 6? But the other line is thicker and the one that says s6 is thinner I think so im guessing also s6 goes down deeper? Or does sinking tip 3? Which like goes down faster sinking tip 3 or 6 thanks very much!'! Please reply lol

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

Look at the "butt" end of the tip (where the loop is).  I believe Rio has a colour code to tell what the tip is:

- grey = type 6
- yellow = type 3

Your floating and clear tips lines should be obvious.

Rio also has a bar code system to tell what "weight" the tip is.  One thick bar = 5.  One thin bar = 1.  So an 8 weight tip should have 1 thick bar and 3 thin bars on the coloured portion of the butt section of the tip.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »

Sorry - just realized that I described the versi-tip system and not the new versi-tip II system.  Not sure if Rio changed the colour and labelling system - hopefully not!  Good luck.

koifish

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »

i just checked the line it has the yellow end what goes down deeper type 3 0r 6? which goes down faster?? thanks im checking the other one now

koifish

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »

the other one has a grayesh pinkish end

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »

type 3 - 3-4 inches/second
type 6 - 6-7 inches/second
type 8 - 8-9 inches/second

greyish pink ?  that sounds like they have changed the colour coding on the Versa II

Check out our new blog

koifish

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »

Thanks guys !!
Also when I cast and letting the line at the end do I pull my rod? Give it a small jerk?
Asking since I do
Not know I didn't know I had a fish at the end drift as I reeling in I had one lol I don't want to snag so I'm asking thx!!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »

why would you give your rod a small jerk at the end of the swing ? Do you do this at the end of every drift with a drift rod ?

If you are then cut it out because that's viewed as attempting to snag intentionally regardless of the gear being used. at the end of my drift or swing I just bring in my line then re-cast.

PS - please proof read your messages before hitting "post" because so many of your messages are very hard to figure out and understand. sometimes I feel like I'm reading coded messages LoL
Check out our new blog

koifish

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »

I'm asking because I feel bites or something but I don't do anything I think I lose to much fish like that lol unless my line is on bottom I don't jerk maybe when I feel something then I do it I seen people doing it today snd other days I went that's why I ask and another reason why I asked is since at the end of a drift I was striping my line back I had one right that's why
lol I didn't mean to snag or anything there's lots of fish it's hard not to get foul hooks as I was stripping line  I got one I didn't even jerk or anything I wanna catch a coho or a spring I never caught a spring only 1 coho I need to go fly shopping lol

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

if your stripping in and get a tug then by all means set the hook ! now on the other hand if you know for sure your hook is travelling through an area where the older tired fish are staging then it may be best not to set the hook because it will most likely be a fouled fish but not always.

If your getting tiny steady taps near the end of your swing then its most likely bottom. If a fish follows it into the shallows it will normally smash the fly before it gets to shallow if it wants to eat it over letting it get away. a lot of times the first strip you do will entice that hard grab
Check out our new blog

koifish

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 07:57:12 AM »

ya im not sure if theres old fish staging there
i get 2-3 tap sometimes as well lol