Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vintage Hardy reel and rod values  (Read 7896 times)

Ambassador

Vintage Hardy reel and rod values
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »

I've got an opportunity to pick up a number of 60's Hardys rods and reels from a friend but am a bit stumped on the values and what I should be offering. I have found a few ok sites that list some of the approximate values of the reels, but have found little on the rods. He wants me to make him an offer and I want to be fair as I know he wants them to go to a good home where they will be used - and they will for sure. They are beautiful. Stoked to try the huge Spey rods (one's a Bruce Walker) and the tiny trout flyrod with a Marquis #5.

What would the difference in value on a reel that is engraved with the previous owners info? I'm buying these to use - but also realize the stated values are based on the condition of the unit, including any scratches, dings and other surface imperfections. Just looking to be fair so neither one of us are getting burned. Any help is most appreciated.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Vintage Hardy reel and rod values
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »

I would say $150-200 is a fair offer on an Old English made that has been engraved. If its mint then you would be double to maybe even a little higher

then other factors come into play. Whether the reel is prewar or post war, which model and also size.

Bruce Walker rod I would bet is still worth a solid $500+

Try searching each reel/rod individualy instead of generalizing it. Lots of old Hardy's sell through Speypages as well as many rods
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »

there are lots of websites with used tackle particularly Hardy mostly out of the UK As an example: http://www.classicvintagefishingtackle.com/hardyreels.htm.

You'll notice value is associated with aspects that make the product somewhat unique. If it's numbered, if it's a limited edition, if it is unused with all literature, bag/box etc,.

Try googling specific products ie Hardy Marquis #5 for sale.

As far as the reels they may have some value. It's also a matter of what it's worth to you. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a reel in that shape besides I have a Marquis and owned other Hardy's of similar vintage - nothing to get excited about. The pre Ww2 stuff was different but hard to find and costly.

Rods from the 60s would be valuable if they are split cane. Glass rods may have some value. Glass (unlike graphite)does not age well
Fifty year old rods may not be suitable for fishing unless you like breaking rods.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:28:11 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:39:03 PM »

The pre Ww2 stuff was different but hard to find and costly.

or be insane like me on the lookout for pre WWI Hardy, preferably a brass faced one at that  :o
Check out our new blog

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »

The pre Ww2 stuff was different but hard to find and costly.

or be insane like me on the lookout for pre WWI Hardy, preferably a brass faced one at that  :o

Hook, contact flyrod from this forum regarding your insanity - he may be able to help you :D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »

Hook, contact flyrod from this forum regarding your insanity - he may be able to help you :D

unfortunately I don't have $2500 + dollars burning a hole in my bank account at the moment. I have seen 3 sell for that or more on Speypages over the last couple years. Brass faced ones look amazing !!
Check out our new blog

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »

I have some senior statesmen well versed in the vintage and classic fly rods and reels that are working with me to appraise the old Hardy and Dirigo rods plus a number of fly and Centrepin reels. Rod 604-798-3040

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »

Thanks for the info, guys. Rod, I may give you a call this week if you don't mind and let you know what he has. The more info I can find the better!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

Sounds good Ambassador