Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanting advice on spey reel  (Read 31025 times)

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Wanting advice on spey reel
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 05:22:32 PM »

I bought a galvan t12 for my first spey set up. I did a bunch of research on reels and the galvan reels had great reviews. I still haven't used it. It is going to see some action in a few weeks though. Seems like a very nice reel.
Partnered it up with a loomis nrx 13 foot rod. Now I just have to learn to cast it. ;)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »

Gel spun is thinner diameter so you can fit more on a reel in less space. Can be good if you have limited capacity on a reel. The trade off is its more expensive. I personally have just stuck with standard Dacron on my reels.

If you are looking for more shops to check out for reels, I would highly recommend Micheal & Young fly shop (M&Y) in Surrey. They are great and fly/spey specific.

Good to know! Thanks for that. Ok I'll more than likely stick with standard dacron. Also I have heard good things about Michael and Young. I'll check them out next time I'm out that way :D

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »

I do not like gel spun for two reasons. it costs to damn much for something that barely comes off the reel and it must be put on tightly or it will dig into itself cause it to grab as a fish pays out line which could result in lost fish.

Did I not tell you to take your rod with you to look at reels ?? pretty sure I did. Does anyone at WS really know anything about fishing ? I leave them puzzled about something fishing every time I'm in there and they can never answer a question I may have

Those reels might fit very well being pretty close to 9oz. like I was saying that a 9oz+ will probably be slightly too heavy but that's how I like it (also how a lot of spey guys like it)

I know you cant try out those reels however you can take your rod into a shop and try other reels in similar weights as them and see if they balance. If not then you know you need a bit more weight in the reel. remember that putting on the backing, running line, shooting head will also add weight to the reel (probably less than an ounce though)

EDIT - I decided to go and look up your rods actual weight and it is 7.9oz. the rod I use says its 8.7oz and a 9oz reel balance it perfectly. I would bet a slightly lighter reel will work nicely on your rod

Awesome tips! I really appreciate the effort. Haha yeah I WOULD have brought my rod into WSS but we were late to go to a party in Langley so I convinced the misses to let me run in for just 5 min and see what they stocked and what their price was. Just left my rod in the car. Interesting that the Redington Delta is 279 there and 259 at Freds. I like that reel but want to check out others before commiting. Im no big rush to buy as I won't be using it until after the fishing madness season dies down...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:18:58 PM by Spawn Sack »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »

I've got a half dozen Pflueger Trions and I'm happy with them. I've caught 30 pound Chinook, and 60 pound tarpon on them, a bunch of bonefish and gawd knows how many coho and steelhead. I've got a couple of Reddingtons as well and no problems so far.

Do you, by chance, have the Reddington Delta? I liek it and am considering buying it. $259 at Fred's. From what I have read online seems like a pretty solid reel. Also really sharp looking.

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/delta/

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »

Also, has any tried the G-Loomis East Fork? I was talking with a guy at Michael&Young and he said it is one of the reels they carry that he would reccomend for my rod (in my price range). From the reviews I've read most say it's good. Plus M&Y has it on sale for $126.95 for the 9/10. Most other places it's around $200 I think.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/eu/en/fly/reels/eastfork.html

Also really liking what I read about the Hardy Ultralite 8000DD. Been reading up on the Reddington Delta as well but I think for the extra $40 I'd get the Hardy over the Reddington.

Some reels have a fully sealed drag while other have a "semi sealed" drag. My reel rarely if ever goes in the water, but you never know so I'd rather err on the side of caution. No plans to ever use it in salt water. Any tips on what drag I'd be best to go with? I definitely want a disk drag. I have a few click and pawl reels, which I like, but for big fish I prefer a disk drag.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »

I have an eastfork in my 8wt. Its a good reel... not great.. but good.
The drag holds up well but it could be a little more smooth.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »

Sounds like a pretty good price, although I doubt that it is fully machined at that price point.  A fully machined reel will be more smooth and have "higher" precision, not that this will make any difference in how many fish you catch.   ;D 

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »

SSypark, on the first page of this thread you said you bought the Allen Kraken reel. Could you please tell me what type of rod you're fishing it on?

I've been looking around at Spey reels, most places seem to stock most of the same stuff. Was at Michael and Yound the other day and almost bought the Lamson CLA(6) ($285) but I just didn't like the way it looked and the sound it made when the drag was being stripped out or reeling in. A bit lame I know but for $300 I figure I better at least like the damn thing! Also considered the G-Loomis Eastfork 9/10, a great looking reel, but just felt a little cheap and the manager didn't reccomend it as it's no longer made (if breaks under warranty can't be replaced). I liked the Lamson Guru 4.0 but was too light for my rod.

The only reel I've found locally I like in my price range is the Reddington Delta at $259 (Fred's). It's also very sharp looking and balances the rod nicely (9oz). I've been reading reviews on the Allen Kraken 4.0 and they're all very good. But noone carries this reel! Can you only order it from the manufacturer in the US? At $229 it seems like a real steal. I don't really like the idea of ordering a reel online I've never tinkered with, but I suppouse it I don't like it I could mail it back and eat the shipping costs.

On paper it looks good: 4.45 diametre, 1.58 width, 8.11oz (a tad light but probably ok) and the price is fantastic. For $40 less than the Delta it still has me humming and hawing about buying one...

Any thoughts SSypark???

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »

SSypark, on the first page of this thread you said you bought the Allen Kraken reel. Could you please tell me what type of rod you're fishing it on?

I've been looking around at Spey reels, most places seem to stock most of the same stuff. Was at Michael and Yound the other day and almost bought the Lamson CLA(6) ($285) but I just didn't like the way it looked and the sound it made when the drag was being stripped out or reeling in. A bit lame I know but for $300 I figure I better at least like the damn thing! Also considered the G-Loomis Eastfork 9/10, a great looking reel, but just felt a little cheap and the manager didn't reccomend it as it's no longer made (if breaks under warranty can't be replaced). I liked the Lamson Guru 4.0 but was too light for my rod.

The only reel I've found locally I like in my price range is the Reddington Delta at $259 (Fred's). It's also very sharp looking and balances the rod nicely (9oz). I've been reading reviews on the Allen Kraken 4.0 and they're all very good. But noone carries this reel! Can you only order it from the manufacturer in the US? At $229 it seems like a real steal. I don't really like the idea of ordering a reel online I've never tinkered with, but I suppouse it I don't like it I could mail it back and eat the shipping costs.

On paper it looks good: 4.45 diametre, 1.58 width, 8.11oz (a tad light but probably ok) and the price is fantastic. For $40 less than the Delta it still has me humming and hawing about buying one...

Any thoughts SSypark???

It sounds like you have made up your mind already, just take the plunge!
A swung fly is the best fly.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »

But I haven't made up my mind! :o It would be a LOT easier if the Allen reels were stocked my local shops, but noone seems to carry them. Same with the solitude reels.

I'm torn between buying likely the Reddington Delta for $270 which I'm sure will turn out to be a totally decent reel, OR, spending less money and getting a reel that is likely to be better made like the Allen Kraken 5, but then I have to (it seems) buy it online from the US and run the risk that I won't like it and end up having to pay to ship it there + back. I'm curious what type of rod Ssypark fishes the Kraken on and if it's similar to mine. At 8.11oz it seems a little on the light size. Consistent comments on this thread have said do NOT go too light. The Delta at 9.0oz balanced quite nicely.

I'm in no big rush to buy as I'm not going to be fishing it for a couple of months.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »

Given the length and weight of your of I would go with a heavier reel than 8oz, but to each there own. Never know until you try it for yourself.  I fish a reel around 10-11 ounce on my 13'3" Cnd and a marquis salmon 1 on my 11'6" Spey.

The sooner you get that set up on the water the better!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:52:07 PM by TayC »
A swung fly is the best fly.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »

If you want to talk to someone that owns several Allen products, has done reviews on them then get ahold of Dave Henry.

this is his website, I think it has reviews if you search around but emailing him through that site is your best bet

http://2handedtrout.com/

He is a good guy and may even meet up with you so you can check out the reel in person but that's up to you guys to figure out LoL

FYI - I don't think any shop sells Allen products
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »

Thanks HOOK! Email sent to Dave. Would be cool if he lives around here and has a Kraken I can check out.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »

If you are looking to get a good cheap reel on a budget I would seriously consider a Magnum 200D, you can pick them up for less than $100 on ebay or spey pages. Built like a tank and a very good disc drag and the right weight for you rod at c.11-12oz. Mine is a hand me down that has been around for 20 odd years and still going strong.
Its this one -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-GOOD-LEEDA-MAGNUM-200D-SALMON-REEL-AND-LINE-/251326215795?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item3a8435b673

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »

Spawn Sack he does infact live around here. I have ran into him at M&Y surrey a couple times. He guides locally but I cant remember with what company or if its his company so his blog was my best source. I would surprised if he didn't have a Kraken, I know he was using an Allen reel on a switch rod, I saw pics and a review  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/