Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sink Tips for Spey rods on the Vedder and Squamish  (Read 8847 times)

ajransom

Sink Tips for Spey rods on the Vedder and Squamish
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »

Hi,

New to spey fishing, but want to get a couple of sink tips for a skagit set up. Wondering what most people are using on the Vedder and Squamish rivers for steelhead (and prob Bull trout too)?

I dont want to spend a lot of cash, just a couple of all-round options that will cover most bases.

Thanks!

Joeb

Re: Sink Tips for Spey rods on the Vedder and Squamish
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »

Most good fly shops will sell t8, t10, and t14 by the foot. Best cheap way is to just buy it by the foot and cut it to different lengths.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »

You will get many different answer on this one. When I use a skagit setup I try and stick to tips the same length o the rod and in whatever t material, that way I don't have to alter my stroke to much.  Last year on the vedder I found t-11 to be the ticket.
A swung fly is the best fly.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »

I agree with Tay, try and keep your tips the same length, it will help with consistency.

With a skagit line on the Vedder in winter, 12ft lengths of t8, t11 and t14 should set you up decently. When I use a skagit line I mainly use a twelve foot piece of T11 and then vary the weight of my fly if needed.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »

I also like using T material for tips over buying highly priced premade tips. If you happen to snag and break off your tip or part of your tip its only a few dollars instead of 20-25 to replace it. Same as the other guys when it comes to tip lengths.

the number designation of T material is not the sink rate but the amount of tungsten per foot. T14 is equivalent to "type 8"

I have shared this before but here it is again

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ajransom

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »

Thanks Hook - good reference too.

mdc8427

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »

T-14!!!! go big or go home

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »

If I had to pick 2 a 12' Type 3 tip and a Type 8 tip or 12' chunk of T11 covers most of my fishing, personally I think having a bunch of densities in a bunch of different lengths is a waste of time and money.

TayC

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 08:16:25 AM »

Glad I read this as I'm getting into spey fishing this winter and was wondering about sink tips. I've invested a lot of $ (more than I should have but oh well :o) in the rod, reel, and shooting line + head. Now I just need to take a lesson and learn to cast the darn thing!

Good to know there is a more economical way to buy the tips than the pre done ones buy Rio etc. Excellet tips guys.

How do the tips connect to your head and leader when you buy a length of it without loops on either end. Does they fly shop add the the loops for you?

TayC

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

Glad I read this as I'm getting into spey fishing this winter and was wondering about sink tips. I've invested a lot of $ (more than I should have but oh well :o) in the rod, reel, and shooting line + head. Now I just need to take a lesson and learn to cast the darn thing!

Good to know there is a more economical way to buy the tips than the pre done ones buy Rio etc. Excellet tips guys.

How do the tips connect to your head and leader when you buy a length of it without loops on either end. Does they fly shop add the the loops for you?

I just loop the ends and double nail knot it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »

Haha I don't know how to do a double nail knot. I'll probably get the fly shop to do it for me for now and try and youtube + learn it it when I have time.

The rod I bought is a 13"6 8wt. Would you guys still reccomend 12 foot lengths of sink tip...or lengths the same as my rod?

Also, and this is probably an ignoramus question...but what is the difference and/or advantage of using a tungsten sink tip over a standard type-x. As HOOK pointed out t = not the sink rate but the amount of tungsten per foot (eg.t-14 = type 8). I'm going to hazzard a guess that the tungsten is heavier for its length therefore you can use a shorter piece of tip to achieve the same sinkage (?)

Sigh...should be fishing today but stuck working...luckily a slow Sunday so I can spend a fair bit of time surfing FWR and learning stuff I can take to the river :)

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »

I also fold over the end and then tie two nail knots with 8lb mono. Or if you buy airflo t-material and the shop is set up for line welding they can weld loops on the ends.

A lot of people use bulk T material tips because they are cheaper than tapered premade tips. A tapered tip will help with turnover, but if you are casting heavy flies with a skagit line, it's not as important as if you were trying to delicately cast a dry fly on a light line.

12' are a pretty standard length that people like on various rods. I would start there and see how you like it. Too long and you may find yourself fighting too much line stick especially with a heavy fly. The nice part about bulk t material is you could buy a 15ft chunk and keep cutting it back until you find a length you like.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »

I like using T tips on the spey rod. I don't mind cutting it because of its price. I would never cut back a $25 premade tapered sink tip unless part of it has been compromised. I buy them in 15' sections and then cut as I see fit. I normally just fish them that length but will be cutting them all back to 10 or 12' to fine tune them. Shorter the tip the easier it is to pull from the water on a spey cast unless your using touch & go casts which I also do for anything around 60' and under because its just simply faster
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/