Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout in the Mamquam?  (Read 5776 times)

Chuck

Trout in the Mamquam?
« on: August 28, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »

If one wanted to avoid the Salmon crowds, are there plenty of trout about in the Mamquam at the moment?  I've not fished there, but I hear there is a portion of the river that is catch and release only, and wondered if there are trout this time of year? 

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: Trout in the Mamquam?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

The Mamquam has virtually no trout in it but there are a few char. At this time of year all your going to be doing is fishing over, thru and on spawning pinks. Stay away until the pinks have finished spawning which is more or less October. Pink return is huge to the Mamquam this year and they are tearing up all of the gravel right now.

Chuck

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »

Thanks, i'm glad I posted now  :)

Do any rivers have trout in at the moment?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:19:26 PM by Chuck »

colin6101

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »

Take a trip out to the Skagit river! One of the best trout fisheries around for sure.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »

If your looking just for trout, I would try the upper Cheakamus above Daisy Lake. Fish are plentiful but not large and access is not easy but the fish are. You can also fish below the Daisy Lake dam and there are plenty of trout there as well but once again they are not large with a 30 cm trout being a "good" one. All of these are catch and release as they are wild fish.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »

I used to live in Squamish in the 1970s and even in the "good old days" the Mamquam was never good for trout. I waded across it every day on my way to work. I caught steelhead in the spring and the occasional char, but no cutthroat. The only cutthroat I caught were down in the estuary. I caught Bull trout and resident rainbows far up the Squamish above the Ashlu, but steelhead were the main target. I've fished the Cheakamus from one end to the other and the best fishing for it was up near Daisy Lake. As someone already mentioned, the trout were small. I used to hike down below Brandywine falls and fish that stream all the way to the lake. It DID have good trout fishing, but I'm not sure how it is today. Other than the Fraser River itself, there are not a lot of good trout streams close to the Lower Mainland, and that is why so many people fish the Skagit.

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »

Thanks guys,
I'm leaning towards the Skagit, although Cheakamus is slightly closer. Limited fishing time 'n all that. Wil hopefully make up my mind by Saturday morning.