Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headed up island.  (Read 1034 times)

Ryan.maccie

Headed up island.
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »

Hey ya'll!

My first trip over to the island visiting some family and hoping to get into some fish!

Rite now I am looking at tossing some flys in the little/big qualicum. 
I have found it very hard to find any info on these rivers, probably for a good reason. Google maps have given me a couple good ideas' but even so looking at it from the top it doesnt seem like theres a lot of access points to the little q.

Just wondering if we have any locals from the island that are willing to shoot me a pm and send me in the correct direction? Or even that would want to link up for a day of fishing, ither friday or saturday.

I was thinking that I could make it to nile creek and load up on supplies/info before heading on the hunt, but I dont think its going to line up with my schedule, especially if I want to try and get in somewhere for first light.

Any help is greatly appriciated! Thanks guys!

Edit: forgot to mention i will be staying in cumberland, so if you have a closer/better sugestion lets hear em
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:36:03 PM by Ryan.maccie »

Ian Forbes

Re: Headed up island.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »

The two Qualicum rivers don't usually fish that well in the summer, but there are usually a few cutthroat around if you are willing to work for them. The estuary is usually better than up river. Neither river supports a run of Pink salmon which are on the menu right now. However, if you are staying in Cumberland you are closer to the Oyster, the Puntledge and the Campbell which do have Pink salmon runs. Although this is an off year for Pink salmon on the island, there are still a fair number of fish and it's worth spending the time. With the recent rain the past few days it will suck a few more fish into the estuaries. Prior to that the fish were in and out off the mid island beaches. If you don't mind a 150 km drive then it's worth while driving up to the Eve River estuary. Pink salmon have been in that system for almost a month. It is almost time for the coho off our mid island beaches and they are already being taken by people fishing for Pinks.

Ryan.maccie

Re: Headed up island.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »

Thank you for the information Ian, Please check your Email. ;)