Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fraser river pink salmon opening  (Read 29503 times)

gman

Re: fraser river pink salmon opening
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »

Saw a number of boats netting the Richmond south arm late this afternoon. Looked like a native opening.

dcajaxs

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »

nothing open so report it, the dfo has the power right now as its closed to everyone.  once there is a partial opening it becomes so much harder for them to enforce.

hotrod

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »

There are openings.

hotrod

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 09:31:24 PM »

There are openings.

hotrod
8) Just wait for the briefing  8) ;D ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

tfishy

Ryan.maccie

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »

I heard through the grape vine that the Opening was infact a first nations fishary, limited too 2 boats, fishing chinook only.

I also heard that the reason they are holding off on the rec opening of the fraser is the ammount of people that have been caught and charged, fishing both by boat and shore retaining salmon with the river closed.

If that is true, It would make sence that they are using this trying to teach people a lesson, and in turn punishing the rest of us that are being good, and driving to the sqaumish, and going elsewere.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!

tfishy

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 01:05:36 AM »

keep in mind that its a chinook only opening so they would be using a larger mesh net which would allow sockeye to go right thru it and only catch chinooks.

TNAngler

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 06:26:38 AM »

keep in mind that its a chinook only opening so they would be using a larger mesh net which would allow sockeye to go right thru it and only catch chinooks.

It would allow some sockeye to go right through it.  It is the difference of 1 inch.  You are still going to catch some sockeye.  Especially drift netting.  It doesn't matter the size of the fish if they hit the net just right moving fast enough.  They will be so tangled they don't have a chance.  If it was set nets I would feel better because it isn't often the fish will be travelling fast enough but move the net at the same time....

Bad call by DFO IMHO

TNAngler

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 06:30:19 AM »

If you look at Communal times, there is a lot of dip netting that is/was open.  This I have no problem with because it truly is a selective fishery.  You bring up a sockeye in the dip net and throw it right back with very little harm to the fish.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html

bcguy

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 10:17:02 AM »

If you look at Communal times, there is a lot of dip netting that is/was open.  This I have no problem with because it truly is a selective fishery.  You bring up a sockeye in the dip net and throw it right back with very little harm to the fish.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html

WTF? I thought the Fraser was closed?...truly a selective fishery...and recreational fisherman were not selected LOL
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »

I just went of Berry's website and they are reporting the river opening tomorrow in the lower and the upper on Saturday but I can't find it reported anywhere else.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »

Yahoo! Bye bye Sea to Sky Highway!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 10:36:34 AM »

There should be a protest rally by sporties about these latest series of opening and the media should report on such reckless mis-management and unfairness of the Fraser fishery. The natives have already taken 92,000 sockeye (only the reported number). Isn't that enough already? The sporties have zero sockeye and many with zero springs not to say zero Fraser pinks. DFO is a total hypocrite and sporties will be losing respect of this institution if they don't act responsibly. They told us we should stay off the Fraser so our low, low impact on sockeye mortality as a bycatch can be avoided, because they want zero impact and need to have every sockeye make it back to spawning ground. We believe them and comply. Then they turn around opening the Fraser to nets after nets... I am speechless. If they truly care about the fish, they should stop all fishing, particularly nets. No bycatch fatality is acceptable, not when they think our crude way of fishing with 1 line and 1 hook with such a low mortality can harm the brood stock enough to take us all out of the Fraser.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:45:39 AM by liketofish »

pbish

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »

Politically you will never see a Recreational opening without a First Nations opening. I would bet if you asked the DFO off the record they could open recreational fishery in the lower without hurting stock but politically would have to open FN. So here we sit.