Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass Fishing Questions  (Read 1928 times)

rootbeer

Bass Fishing Questions
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »

We are planning a fishing trip mid September and are trying to decide where to go.  One thought was to head to Osoyoos Lake or Christina Lake and try some bass fishing, as that is something that we have never done before.  My question is if that time of year is a good/okay time to fish for bass?  We have a 14' tinnie with downrigger as well as spin rods etc.

trot

Re: Bass Fishing Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »

I have fished Osoyoos lake a few times and had a blast with the bass. Never the time of year you are planning though so hopefully someone with more information can direct you. Though, I would think it would still be good if this weather keeps up.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

Mid September should be good.  Get a map of the lake, find and work drop offs, ledges. 

Work cover such as docks, piers and logs, particularly if they are adjacent to deeper water.

Keep the downriggers at home and use that space to bring as many rods already rigged as possible.  Have a rod with a spinner bait, another with a tube jig, texas rigged plastic worm, shallow and deep diving crank baits and/or jerk baits and have some fun.  I typically fish colours on the natural side in the fall, but everyone has their favourites.  Worms/jigs in browns, purples, and black. 

The bass will be active before the cold hits.  I would give you my 'secret spots' but I'd have to kill you.

There are many quality places to fish on that lake.  Don't be afraid to keep moving from weedy areas to rocky areas and everything in between, but again, look for depth changes and structure.

Don't forget to troll around the ledges for trout as well, there are nice ones in there that could be getting active again at that time of the year.

Best of luck.

millsm

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »

Skaha lake is another good bass fishing lake. They are primarily smallmouth (that's all I've ever caught anyway) and fight hard!

MoeJKU

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »

I agree i would leave the downriggers at home. look for ledges and cast along those,  have a couple different setups as well. They love to be around cover, docks, weeds , hanging trees, etc. I have had the most luck on either 6"lizards in chartreuse with purple flakes, and darker purple with red and blue flakes. Also if you get some gulp minnows they seen to smash those from my experience. As fun as topwater is to see them smack it, i never had the best luck with it.

rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like Christina lake may be a little far to go, but it sounds like Osoyoos Lake and Skaha lake might be worth the trip.