Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO Crackdown.  (Read 14857 times)

TNAngler

Re: DFO Crackdown.
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »

Contrary to what most believe, nets, fish, boats, are seized a lot more often. Fishery officers present their seasonal work stats at each Sport Fishing Advisory Committee meeting, as well as video of undercover work at times. The other misperception is that enforcement spends little time on catching big guys, which is quite the opposite. Enforcement allocates their patrol time by determining which violations may pose the biggest impact on the resource. During fall months, most of the effort by Fraser Valley enforcement is focused on catch illegal nets on the Fraser River rather than recreational activities on its tributaries.

News like this is in fact not really news. What Fisheries and Oceans Canada fails to do well is their communication with the public. If each charge is published on their website, there'd be a few new threads on here about them on a daily basis.

Why don't they publish this stuff?  Post the person's name and what they were allegedly doing online.  State person X's boat and net was confiscated and he has been charged with X and X and X which could total to $X fine and X years in jail.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »

Don't ask me, ask DFO communication.

604-666-1746

media.pac@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:17 PM »

Could be a violation of their rights to have a name published. They could just publish the info and leave the name out. Sure would be very interesting to see all the charges that occur and even video footage.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

banx

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »

if you are found guilty in court then yes your name can be published.  All court records are accesible through our ministries website.   their search function works well also.

StillAqua

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »

Provincial COs publish all Wildlife Act violations including tickets http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/main/compliance-reporting/reports.html but DFO seems to only publish major FA court convictions http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/charges-inculpations-eng.htm. I don't see why DFO can't publish all FA ticket recipients if the province can for the WA.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »

Listening to NW on my way home from work this afternoon .They said 6 boats seized today on the Fraser by DFO . Anyone else here any news on this .  >:( .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

salmonlover

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »

saw a segment on the news today. apparently people of all races are poaching. They are heavily patrolling the fraser from the mouth to hells gate. Of course there was a high school mentality iq commercial fisherman crying and complaining about first nations being allowed to net. its not fair bla bla. its funny seeing grown men act like children.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:39 PM »

Contrary to what most believe, nets, fish, boats, are seized a lot more often. Fishery officers present their seasonal work stats at each Sport Fishing Advisory Committee meeting, as well as video of undercover work at times. The other misperception is that enforcement spends little time on catching big guys, which is quite the opposite. Enforcement allocates their patrol time by determining which violations may pose the biggest impact on the resource. During fall months, most of the effort by Fraser Valley enforcement is focused on catch illegal nets on the Fraser River rather than recreational activities on its tributaries.

News like this is in fact not really news. What Fisheries and Oceans Canada fails to do well is their communication with the public. If each charge is published on their website, there'd be a few new threads on here about them on a daily basis.

Thanks for posting this Rodney.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »

Well, well ,well! Nice to see some publicity about the boat seizures!!!! Keep up the good work DFO.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

sad thing is fn will take it to court and will win and get there boats and nets back + some all at u tax payers $

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 11:20:07 PM »

sad thing is fn will take it to court and will win and get there boats and nets back + some all at u tax payers $
We don't know that. And it must be real shitey to have your boat seized and have to got to court. Glad DFO is keeping up the enforcement as I had reported a week ago... ;D ;D ;D

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 02:06:22 AM »

Does anyone know if  ALL the boats and nets that were seized were First Nations, or is this just a big assumption ??

Although I myself have no idea ,I tend not to think so, as there's bad apples in all shades if you look at more than "one" rotten box.

No matter though, nothing would surprise me out there as sockeye on the black market right now is a big money maker, and anyone with enough greed in their eyes and the balls to try and get away with it,  probably will......sometimes !

TNAngler

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »

I would doubt they were all FN but at the same time, I would bet anybody with a net is FN because who has a commercial fishing net able to fish in the Fraser just sitting around the house?

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2013, 06:49:08 AM »

Lots of non FN have nets and boats too ya know, just sayin....

TNAngler

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »

Lots of non FN have nets and boats too ya know, just sayin....

Yes, I realize that, but most don't have the type of nets required to fish in the river.  Chances are, a commercial net from the sound is going to be WAY too deep to float down the Fraser without risking losing your entire gear.