Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO Crackdown.  (Read 14859 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: DFO Crackdown.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:20 PM »

Great to hear that firm action is taken against poachers!

dcajaxs

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »

I would gladly add a dollar or 2 on my fish license for visible enforcement on a daily or weekly basis. 

zap brannigan

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »

easily agree with that.

yoda

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

Excellent!!! Time to nail the poachers.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 09:50:30 PM »

I would pay double for my annual license.  $10/month sounds about right for visible and consistant enforcement. 

And no 'warnings'.  You break the regs, you pay. 

The fines should be similar to parking/speeding infractions and go up from there based on severity.

mko72

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »

I would ad $50 to the license, EASILY.  So roughly $75 per year for saltwater, plus a few conservation stamps, big deal! 

Fishing is/can be so cheap!  Make the freshwater license $99 for the year instead of $35 or whatever it is; get more DFO people on the water, more boats, fewer poachers, AND possibly more hatchery fish.  It might even keep some potential beeks from buying licenses and showing up.  Fewer meat fisherman. Think about it.

zap brannigan

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 12:49:04 AM »

a lot of 'beeks' dont buy licenses to begin with, most get away with it for years i mean how many times have you guys been checked? for me never in my years have i been checked not enough enforcement out there its not a priority for bc apparently.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 12:55:48 AM »

Don't think it's a matter of priority but a lack of manpower.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 01:35:53 AM »

I've was checked twice last year {Island 22 Boat Launch, Kilby Boat Launch}, once the year before {Chilliwack/Vedder} and another one time the year before that even {Chilliwack/Vedder again}, maybe luck is on my side as I look forward to seeing and chatting with them.  :)

Funny thing was that they never checked for my Safe Boaters Card {even once !}at the ramps, just my fishing license which I thought was a little weird. I wasn't worried though as I always check and make sure I have the essentials {fishing licenses/boaters card} on my person as well as all the required safety gear for the boat before I pull out of the driveway in the morning. ;)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 08:16:56 AM »

I was checked 6 times last year while steelheading .....

dcajaxs

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 08:20:55 AM »

must say the salt water licenses are cheap in comparison to the freshwater.   Maybe it should be one license for both waters which might mainstream enforcement.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 08:39:28 AM »

illegal nets should be seized and are , picked and the fish donated to the food banks, same applies to the domesticated canada geese.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »

But where was the DFO on way more serious issues like commercial guys letting fish die? There were at least 50 fish left to die in the news link below  ~ that's like catching 50 dumb fisherman on the river in one swoop. Honestly, I think the DFO would be better off focusing on the commercial guys as opposed to the recreational fisherman. Its a 50 to 1 damage ratio imo.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/fishy-video-prompts-investigation-of-b-c-salmon-fishermen-1.1415165

TNAngler

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:16 AM »

But where was the DFO on way more serious issues like commercial guys letting fish die? There were at least 50 fish left to die in the news link below  ~ that's like catching 50 dumb fisherman on the river in one swoop. Honestly, I think the DFO would be better off focusing on the commercial guys as opposed to the recreational fisherman. Its a 50 to 1 damage ratio imo.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/fishy-video-prompts-investigation-of-b-c-salmon-fishermen-1.1415165
A net in the river can kill a lot more than the fish in the video.

I think they need a presence everywhere. 

Does DFO do any undercover work?  I think during the times fishing is open, if they showed up at a place with a bunch of people in a normal boat, in normal fishing clothes and just watched, they would be able to radio in to other's waiting nearby any major issues. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »

Contrary to what most believe, nets, fish, boats, are seized a lot more often. Fishery officers present their seasonal work stats at each Sport Fishing Advisory Committee meeting, as well as video of undercover work at times. The other misperception is that enforcement spends little time on catching big guys, which is quite the opposite. Enforcement allocates their patrol time by determining which violations may pose the biggest impact on the resource. During fall months, most of the effort by Fraser Valley enforcement is focused on catch illegal nets on the Fraser River rather than recreational activities on its tributaries.

News like this is in fact not really news. What Fisheries and Oceans Canada fails to do well is their communication with the public. If each charge is published on their website, there'd be a few new threads on here about them on a daily basis.