Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 295994 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #300 on: September 09, 2013, 12:00:50 AM »

Hey Bently, I was there today as well, but couldn't get one to bite.  In fact, haven't been able to get one to bite at Derby so far this season.  What did u catch them on?

In the last two days {the only two times I've been out pink fishing this year} I've caught fish on these, lost many more as well.

Hammered croc {blue and silver}
Deadly Dick {green}
K Wobbler {red and white}
Flat Fish {small, green pattern with some of my daughters nail polish as a tough up :-X}
Hot Rod {Original by Rye Davis, but the knock offs work as well}
Rooster Tail {purple}

Only one pink lure on that list bud and it's more magenta than pink IMO

the list is endless my friend, endless  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:04:21 AM by Bently »

Shawn6o4

« Reply #301 on: September 09, 2013, 12:21:39 AM »

Fished 7:30am to 10am north arm of the Fraser in South Van. Nothing. However, the guy fishing pikeminnows beside me was having a ball.

I was fishing for NPM that morning north arm in south van, and kicked myself for not bringing down my other ros as I watched a hundred or so pinks swim past me lol. Where abouts where you on morth arm

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #302 on: September 09, 2013, 12:23:27 AM »

North Arm typically sees pink salmon passing through a bit later than South Arm. They also do not always show themselves on the surface along this stretch of the river so if you do not see anything rising, it doesn't mean they are not there. The second and third week of September is a good time to try this area.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2013, 04:19:14 AM »

North Arm typically sees pink salmon passing through a bit later than South Arm. They also do not always show themselves on the surface along this stretch of the river so if you do not see anything rising, it doesn't mean they are not there. The second and third week of September is a good time to try this area.

Yeah I've never fished for pinks on my side too much, but after seeing that yesterday morning I will try for a few hours today, theres actually tonns of access around my house but the locals are asians fishing for npm, the asian gentlmen fishing beside me was so shocked to see that, I had a few pink gibs on me so I gave him a few and told him I'd show him how to spin cast sice he only uses a long rod from china, he doesnt speak much english so should be fun lol

brownmancheng

« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »

New west area this am. Barely any surface action today much less than yesterday same time.
Still managed one little lady. Two days in a row! Can you say hot streak  ;)  ;D ;)

HKSR

« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »

In the last two days {the only two times I've been out pink fishing this year} I've caught fish on these, lost many more as well.

Hammered croc {blue and silver}
Deadly Dick {green}
K Wobbler {red and white}
Flat Fish {small, green pattern with some of my daughters nail polish as a tough up :-X}
Hot Rod {Original by Rye Davis, but the knock offs work as well}
Rooster Tail {purple}

Only one pink lure on that list bud and it's more magenta than pink IMO

the list is endless my friend, endless  ;)

Are those lures typically large or small?

Anything unique with your retrieve?  Fast or slow? 

Do you countdown the lure to get it to a deeper depth?

Sorry for all the questions.  I'm really curious as to what's working out there.  My wife and I haven't had any luck the last few times we've gone out. 

Thanks in advance! :)

RRV

« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »

I fished dyke road again this morning.  There seemed to be a school coming through when I arrived at 6:30--the guy next to me caught a nice chrome doe--but the bulk of the fish had passed in about 15 minutes.    I stayed until 8:00 when I had to leave for work, and in that time I tried a pink croc, a silver and pink crock, a copper and orange little cleo, a yellow kamlooper, even a pink and white minnow jig, but no action.

I must admit, I'm getting frustrated.  I've been out eight times now between Derby Reach and Dyke Road, and nothing to show for it other than a handful of lost lures.

FishingKing

« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »

Got to the river at 6:30 limited out by 7 then the school was gone. Best morning yet. They were far out during incoming tide.

Riverboy888

« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »

Took boat out, fished outside of Captains Cove up the canal 1/2 mile, nothing but 4 large Pike Minnow. Tons of Pinks on top. Two lost, nothing landed.
Moved to outside of Deas Island, 20 ft from shore on an incoming tide, lots of fish on the surface 5 ft from shore but no bites. Moved back to canal off Kirkland Island, a few bites, lost 1 and no action after that on the incoming tide around 5pm..  Sawe tons of others on boats, shore and didnt see much being pulled in.

Hoop71

« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »

Was out this morning from about 0700-1000 near Dyke & Road 5.

This was the third time this year (and ever) fishing for Pinks and I had nothing to show for it. Everything I read and was told (local bait shop said I could tie my keys to my line and land Pinks) was the action was fast and furious so it is good to hear others are finding this an abnormally slow run (so far).

Barely any risers or schools this AM while I was there. About 12 guys around me and saw 1 other fish landed and 1 lost.
But this morning my luck changed. Landed my first salmon ever! Put up a good fight compared to the small trout I'm used to fishing!

I do have a question though. I was slowly retrieving my 1/4 croc and when the salmon hit it was barley noticeable other than the rod bend and the increased line tension. I don't even recall setting the hook. I'm used lures on other fish and hits are very noticeable but this just seemed odd compared to what I'm used to. I'm having a hard time determining whether I am getting hits/taps while reeling or not.

Any tips advice?

Cheers,
Dan

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #310 on: September 09, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »

Sorry for all the questions.  I'm really curious as to what's working out there.  My wife and I haven't had any luck the last few times we've gone out. 

Nothing special about what I'm doing, AVERAGE TO SMALL SIZE LURES, although I'm using my ultra light set up which I can easily one hand cast a good 30 feet farther than i can with the average joe 6 1/2 ft- 7 ft {or longer}spinning rod. The lures just sail out there if you know what your doing and get the right angle. IMO guys using 10 lb test and stronger is just overkill, I have no problem landing these fish with my ultra light and in no way am I over playing any of them....but it sure is a blast when they take that one BIG run, YEE HAW !!

One more day with the gear and then it's fly time 100% though, gotta do it.

My ultra light is 5'5" with a small spinning reel loaded with 6lb trilene

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #311 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »

The lures that I use are small.

The action of the lure that I use is transmitted through the tip of the rod so I adjust my retrieve speed to adjust the action.
The direction of your cast and the direction of the current will affect the speed.
Sometimes with a down-current cast and heavy current, the retrieve will be very slow.

I always let the lure drop on every cast - the fish are usually deep.
Depending on where I am fishing and the current speed, it could be 5, 10, 15 second count down.

One of the places that I fish has a submerged grassy bar out about 40 feet.
A few times I have let the rig sink so that it sits on top of the grass, I can feel it.
Frequently, when I pull the lure off the grass and let it sink into the pocket on shore side of the grass, I will get a hit.

This is very dangerous though, snag city.

HKSR

« Reply #312 on: September 09, 2013, 01:29:27 PM »

Nothing special about what I'm doing, AVERAGE TO SMALL SIZE LURES, although I'm using my ultra light set up which I can easily one hand cast a good 30 feet farther than i can with the average joe 6 1/2 ft- 7 ft {or longer}spinning rod. The lures just sail out there if you know what your doing and get the right angle. IMO guys using 10 lb test and stronger is just overkill, I have no problem landing these fish with my ultra light and in no way am I over playing any of them....but it sure is a blast when they take that one BIG run, YEE HAW !!

One more day with the gear and then it's fly time 100% though, gotta do it.

My ultra light is 5'5" with a small spinning reel loaded with 6lb trilene

Yeah, we're using pretty light gear too.  The fight is WAY more fun.   We've been using larger spoons and spinners, which were working for us in Squamish.  We'll have to downsize tonight and see how it goes. 
I've been fly fishing a bit, but when you're not getting any action, it feels like a lot of work for nothing lol.  Gotta get this 'monkey' off our backs first, then I'll probably get back at it.  Thanks for all the info!  Hopefully we get one tonight.

HKSR

« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »

Thanks Easywater, definitely sounds like small to avg sized lures are the way to go for now.  Hopefully I'll have a positive report from tonight :) 

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »

i have had constant hook ups with 3/8 croc. i find the extra weight lets me get a little further. to all who have not caught anything just be patient and keep trying. it will come and you are not doing anything wrong. my girlfriend landed her first yesterday and she worked hard for it having been skunked 2-3 trips before. i have been out in the richmond ladner area everyday and the numbers have not been stellar. timing is everthing. the longer your spoons in the water the better your chances will be. any yes those taps are fish hitting the lure.