Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 295795 times)

robbyvanz

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »

Caught my first humpy of the season down at Dyke Rd.  It was slow all afternoon until about 4pm.  I caught 2 males, saw another guy with 1, and another pair got 4 or 5 all within half hour.  1/4 Croc spoon with slow retrieve.  High tide is 8pm so best time to fish is 5pm or later.  Here's a link to the tidal forecast for the next 7 days: 

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/station?type=0&date=2013%2F09%2F08&sid=7607&tz=PDT&pres=1

lapa

« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »

any word on how new west is as of today?
Fished for two hours starting 5 pm. Got a nice female on spinner. Way more fish then yesterday.

robbyvanz

« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »

Anyone know if I can leave my fish on a fish stringer or must I pull them out of the water? 

thanks

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »

Anyone know if I can leave my fish on a fish stringer or must I pull them out of the water? 

thanks

u can leave them in the water... but on ice would be better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:16 AM »

thanks

Your fish can be left on a stringer in the water as long as they are dead. It is not highly recommended, because the water is not exactly cold and depending on which part of the Fraser River you are fishing, it is not exactly super clean either.

robbyvanz

« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2013, 01:14:38 AM »

Rod,

thanks for the tip.  The guy next to me left his fish flopping around in the water.  That pic is hilarious!!  Too contaminated to swim in, but we eat the fish we catch there.  LOL

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »

Hook.
Reel.
Land.
Bonk.
Bleed.
Gut.
Ice.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »

Fished 7:30am to 10am north arm of the Fraser in South Van. Nothing. However, the guy fishing pikeminnows beside me was having a ball. 
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »

they may not be here for everyone, but they are for me! 6 hooked, 3 lost, 2 right at the beach as they did shoreline runs. really had to work for them and play with your counts and retrieves. slow worked, pecks were followed by a stop, and then they slammed, and one too a fast retrieve. and fresh! one was so fresh it still had that hint of pink on its lateral line, and guys were yelling they were females, but none had roe! if this is the slow start of the run, it's gonna be a crazy year.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

FishingKing

« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »

Best advice I have this season is, during high tide put on a lure that can go FAR. They seem to be way out during high tide, as the tide goes out the Pinks come closer, so I usually switch up to a lighter smaller lure. My buddy and I limited out this morning while most people got 1 or 2 fish or skunked. Caught most of my fish during high tide waaay out. You can see huge schools surfacing way out during high tide. Getting to them is key.

Humpy

« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »

Just passed by Brownsville bar, not a whole lot of people but there was about 6-10 guys fishing. Not sure if anyone caught anything. Would Brownsville or some spot near Deas Island be better?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »

I am a glutton for punishment. Went back to Abbotsford again today after a slow yesterday thinking maybe some of those fish from the west had made it up there. Their were a few more risers than yesterday but not much more. Fished the incoming tide from 6:15am-9:30am landed one fish and lost one fish. In that time I think we counted only 2 or 3 other fish landed from about 40 guys.

I said this on another thread. My stepfather in Campbell River said the pinks were two weeks late over there. I am thinking the same is here. This time two years ago I was limiting out in 30-45 minutes when it was the peak of the run. I have a feeling the pinks will be coming into October this year. With 40 million fish due to arrive if it was the peak everyone no matter how bad they are would be limiting out.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »

I am a glutton for punishment. Went back to Abbotsford again today after a slow yesterday thinking maybe some of those fish from the west had made it up there. Their were a few more risers than yesterday but not much more. Fished the incoming tide from 6:15am-9:30am landed one fish and lost one fish. In that time I think we counted only 2 or 3 other fish landed from about 40 guys.

I said this on another thread. My stepfather in Campbell River said the pinks were two weeks late over there. I am thinking the same is here. This time two years ago I was limiting out in 30-45 minutes when it was the peak of the run. I have a feeling the pinks will be coming into October this year. With 40 million fish due to arrive if it was the peak everyone no matter how bad they are would be limiting out.

PM sent....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Chris S

« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »

Seems to be constantly busy under the Abbotsford bridge last couple hours of high tide, so far I've been pretty lucky with limit catches. The resident seal likes to sit just out front with a fish in it's mouth, teasing those that aren't quite so lucky.  Today the resident mink got in my stash of fish again, so with my line still in the water I was heading over to chase it out when another pink took my trailing lure... I had to multi task a bit which seemed to entertain some people (mink didn't want to leave).  I now had my limit so I cleaned the fish and left the guts for the (absolutely fearless) resident mink to cart away, while I did some c & r.  Didn't take it long to clean that up, then the mink was back trying to cart away my fish again. Unfortunately I tripped and took a dive into the river as I was heading over to discourage it (much to every-ones entertainment again).  Oh well... another fun day at the river.       

Mayor McSkunk

« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »

Very busy at the Mission bridge today. Saw quite    few fish lined up on the beach and they all looked nice. Didn't see any caught (except one that was snagged and thankfully released) and didn't catch any in the hour and a half I was there.   Saw a few people fishing with bait and making no attempt to hide it. The group of guys with waders walking out as far as they can keeps growing.