Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 296278 times)

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »

dan, i'll shoot you an Email later on, i've got a few techniques and a location which IMO one of the better locations for fly fishing on the fraser for pinks. I've found pinks stack up close to shore on back eddies of rockey shoals on the fraser, and i can usually get into 15+ fish on a good day in some locations.

its not a hard game with pinks on the fraser, if you see them surfacing, cast to them, and hold on, i've had far to many times fly fishing where i would get into one fish, loose it, and get into another 10 feet down the drift.

I use a cheaper 9' 6/7 weight for pinks on with an intermediate sinking line, with a type 2 clear tip, and depending on depth or current I may add type 4 clear sink tip.   since i dont trust my 5wt on the river, and the 9 wt have too much back bone for a 4lb pink, and my 3wt is just for pike minnow when the fishing is slow.

I've also found that Size 6 or 4 (depending on clairity) dark leaches or clousers with some purple or chartreuse flash in them work best in the non tidal area's that I fish often.

I've getting excited, payday is here and its time to stock up on tying materials, cause its going to be a busy next week prepping for this fishery

gofishon

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »

Excellent info Ezio. I'm also very eager to try pinks on the fly this season, but looks like we will have more time than we want to prep to get on the water, as Fisheries have now closed the lower Fraser to salmon fishing. Let's hope the pinks aren't early as some have predicted. So far the vast majority of pinks caught in the test fishery are not Fraser stocks. Fingers crossed for an opening in time to try the fly.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »

pinks are almost not worth catching in the non-tidal Fraser certainly not good for eating

trot

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »

pinks are almost not worth catching in the non-tidal Fraser certainly not good for eating

I catch plenty every pink run well above the Mission bridge that are chrome. Not the green and white slimers. Obviously more of them in the lower but to say they are no good for eating is foolish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »

For those who have not read the other threads on the discussion forum, currently the Fraser River is closed for salmon fishing completely from Steveston to Hope. You cannot target pink salmon right now. Fishery managers are reviewing these closures on a weekly basis. Summer run sockeye salmon stock status and Fraser River water temperature will determine when this fishery reopens. Please let other anglers know if they are unaware of it.

Tidal Fraser River (subareas 29-11 to 29-17) closure: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=153083&ID=recreational

Non-tidal Fraser River closure: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=153070&ID=recreational

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

Quite surprised they closed the tidal Fraser for pinks.
Don't think there's a lot of sockeye being hooked there as bycatch.
But nothing surprises me anymore.
Probably reopen it within 2 weeks.
Hopefully First Nations gets shut down to if they're that worried.
But highly doubt that too!!!
And just respooled all my pink rods this morning.....doh!!!
Rando
The Fishin Musician

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »

Quite surprised they closed the tidal Fraser for pinks.
Don't think there's a lot of sockeye being hooked there as bycatch.
But nothing surprises me anymore.
Probably reopen it within 2 weeks.
Hopefully First Nations gets shut down to if they're that worried.
But highly doubt that too!!!
And just respooled all my pink rods this morning.....doh!!!
Rando

Exactly. I've never heard of a sockeye hooked in the lower fraser.

trot

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:17 PM »

We have caught the odd one back trolling in the lower. Those are days to buy a lottery ticket though, its really only happened a handful of times over the years.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »

Has it already been two years? Going from keeping an accidentally snagged fish to exclusively fly fishing. ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=27518.msg263263#msg263263

Fly fishing is very doable in the Tidal Fraser River. It's easier at some spots and harder at others. Beaches like the ones at MacDonald Beach, Dump Bar, Annacis Island provide plenty of backcasting room for it. You can also do it from the steeper dykes by not casting too far. Fish are pretty close to shore anyway. With water clarity looking much better than two summers ago, it should be even easier to get them on the fly.

Bahaha I was half wondering if you might remember that! Good stuff! And I havent kept a snagged fish since! (Or even gear fished, aside from the Spring fishing in Sooke I did last week)

But yeah, time really has flown eh? It doesnt seem that long ago that I thought this whole sport was a lot more complex than it is. Then I found fly fishing! Something to actually boggle the mind, but the best lesson I learned is, its fishing! Its not that hard.

Im thinking Ill pick up a cheapo 40 buck spin outfit should my fly rods fail me, but I think Ill do just fine. I was just at a spot the other day I have caught (snagged  ;) ) pinks at before and I just felt that my casting wasnt getting the distance i remember them rolling at. Granted, that was 2 years ago, and those are only the fish I saw, so Ill continue with the elitism of being a fly guy  8)

Now those notices of the fraser being closed are scary! But Im sure it will open up just in time for us
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has reopened the tidal portion of the Fraser River (subareas 29-11 to 29-17) for salmon fishing and retention of selected species, including pink salmon. Please read the following fishery notice carefully before heading out.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=153536&ID=recreational

The pink salmon run has not really started yet as the amount of fish coming into the river is not thick enough to yield any good result from popular shore spots. At least this has been my observation in subareas 29-9 and 29-10 in the past two weeks. This fishery typically heats up on the first or second day of September, so it is worth exploring this long weekend, especially with the afternoon incoming tides.

Good luck!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »

The Test Fisheries at Whonnock is still far below the peak from the 2011 pink salmon counts.  Some lucky dog will bring home a pink today, but lots of people will get skunked if they try it today.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »

The Test Fisheries at Whonnock is still far below the peak from the 2011 pink salmon counts.  Some lucky dog will bring home a pink today, but lots of people will get skunked if they try it today.

Thats part of fishing.

Often too many people rely on reports, test set numbers, etc. Yes, they are good tools but sometimes you just need to get out there and see whats happening for yourself, you can't catch fish from the couch. Sometimes you'll catch fish, other times not. Thats part of it and you'll learn a lot more the more time you have on the water.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »

Thats part of fishing.

Often too many people rely on reports, test set numbers, etc. Yes, they are good tools but sometimes you just need to get out there and see whats happening for yourself, you can't catch fish from the couch. Sometimes you'll catch fish, other times not. Thats part of it and you'll learn a lot more the more time you have on the water.
Agreed, you have to be on the water to find out. However if you are making a list of possible places to fish on the weekend, that Test Fishery may affect your decision.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:13 AM »

IMO, this is the most exciting time of the entire season. The bulk of the run has not arrived, but scattered small schools are making their way into the river. A bunch of us are always wanting to be the first person to catch one in the Tidal Fraser River so we always go out way earlier than we should, hoping to intercept a small school and catch one even though the chances are pretty slim.