Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted, a small boat to safely fish the Delta area of the Fraser River. <$500  (Read 1000 times)

LoSTLeaDeR

Is it possible to find a boat that is small enough to handle/lift on my own, transport on the roof of my Dodge Neon, navigate and fish the Fraser River in areas like Wellington Point in Delta, fit my 250lbs, some fishing gear and occasionally my 10 year old son. (not necessary to have the boys fit but it would be a bonus) be able to beach the boat without destroying it.
Get a motor that I can transport on a bicycle rack hanging off the back of my car, and all for under $500.00?

I'm not fussy about looks, just functionality, durability and budget.

I see zodiacal and jonboats around and the typical 12-14foot aluminum specials, I've looked at the frog boat (made in Langley) and the Porta-Bote (made in Washington) but the options, quality, pricing and motor requirements and enjoy all too much information for me to digest.

I can't justify spending 2 or 3 grand on bigger boat right now but I really want to get out on the water. Fishing from the shore is driving me nuts.

If you have any advice, or you have a boat you want to sell that you think would do what I want it too please contact me.
FYI, I am not a mechanic, so a project boat scares me.
Thanks

Michael Macumber
michaelpatrickmacumber@gmail.com

BOWHUNTER

I know it's possible to get a good deal but be very careful. It can happen all too quick you anchor up, see a huge log floating down stream at your anchor line you must know what you are doing. And being able to start the motor first or second pull is a must. I'm not sure you can get a reliable enough boat for $500

An inexpensive boat in a lake is ok but the Fraser is another story.

My 2cents

mikeyman

You will probably want an aluminum car topper style boat, 12 ft would be okay for 2, but 14 ft would be better. Also going to need a good motor, a 9.9 would be okay, so you don't have to register the boat under 10 hp. I don't think you will find all for 500 bucks. take a look on craigslist, might be able to pick something up for 1000-1500 bucks all ready to go. Don't forget your safety gear, and if you anchor up be careful, logs can be dangerous, or I sometimes
tie up to a log boom.