Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flies on the vedder  (Read 5625 times)

mdc8427

Flies on the vedder
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »

I am a pretty big gear fisherman on the vedder, but for the last year i got heavy into fly/ spey rod fishing. need help when it comes to flies.  what kind for what fish/ water ( clear, muddy water, steelhead, coho, sockeye) type ect. can anyone recommend a good website or book to learn these things. I like to think im breaking away from my fathers gear teachings and develop a new skill   :o

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Flies on the vedder
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »

I am a pretty big gear fisherman on the vedder, but for the last year i got heavy into fly/ spey rod fishing. need help when it comes to flies.  what kind for what fish/ water ( clear, muddy water, steelhead, coho, sockeye) type ect. can anyone recommend a good website or book to learn these things. I like to think im breaking away from my fathers gear teachings and develop a new skill   :o

I am sure there are great books out there and hopefully someone on here gives you a few titles, but here are the basics I have picked up over the years.  Use small brightly colored flies in low clear water, larger dark colored flies in muddier colour water.  Flies with a large sillouette will also show up better in off coloured water.  Weighted flies will also be helpful when fishing deeper faster runs (important for springs and some steelhead. Steelhead are naturally aggressive and will hit just about any fly placed within reach (steelhead will move further for a presentation in the warmer spring and summer waters than in dead winter when you basically need to bounce your fly off its nose), but the basic size/colour guidelines above should be followed. Coho prefer to hold in slower slack water so heavily weighted flies are not as important, beadhead muddlers and buggers fished under a floating or intermediate sink tip line are usually enough.  Coho flies come in a range of colours but copper, blue and orange are often the most productive. Chinook are not as often targeted with a fly as they hold in deep fast water, but large orange and black intruders can be effective as well as roe flies and emerald green streamers.  Sockeye can be taken on chartreuse patterns fished on the swing and stripped in.  Pink salmon and chum salmon like pink and chartreuse flies fished on a slower retrieve.  This is, again, just the basics and will not always result in fish, but it is a good starting point. 
Not all those who wander are lost

ByteMe

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »

mdc8427........get your self a cheap fly tying kit for $50.I have been using Polar Chenielle exclusively for my materials for the past while,so easy  to work with even an 8yr old can use it.It comes in different colors,tie whatever color combinations you like.The materials are UV,lots of flash and movement,basically just wind it on the hook and tie it off before the eye.I've quit using maribou,this stuff works like a hot damn!!
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

mdc8427

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »

thanks guys went and hit the river hard today. No action but got some good work done with my casts and knot tying lol. thanks again for the advice will post if i find something that works. have been using alot of bright reds,pink,  blue, black and purple flies with no luck, even putting it low in the water, this close to moving back to gear after today but i was able to stop myself 8)

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 12:38:13 AM »

Check out speypages, serious wealth of knowledge there.

Cheers
A swung fly is the best fly.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:35:03 AM »

Most of the fly fishing on the V-C takes place in the fall. Reliable flies include an olive wooly bugger with a gold cone head or bead and some flashabou or similar stuff in the tail, a Mickey Finn, a Rolled Muddler and the KCK. You can buy samples in just about any shop. The Olive Wooly bugger is equally good for coho and chum. The KCK takes coho and I've hooked lots of springs and landed a few to about 25lbs. Generally the best flies are smaller than you might expect, #8s and #10s are often the best.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »

size 10 or 12 Griffiths Gnat....nuff said.
Take the T out of Morton.