Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: braided loop connector!?  (Read 9451 times)

300zxfairlady

braided loop connector!?
« on: July 14, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »

Hey eveyone. Was fishing for coho this morning and got into a beautiful 7lb fish on my 6wt full sink line. It faught for a good 10 minutes before i was able to get it close to me, as i was about ro net him my braided loop connector popped right off the line!!! Being new to flyfishing iv just tried to learn things as i go along and i might habe made a mistake with my set up. Im wondering if i have this set up right.. i have a SA type 4 sink line which i then added a loop connector. It seems the loop connector has a better hold on my dry line as it has a bigger diameter, but since my sink line has a thinner diameter im worried the shrink tube does not have enough grasp thus popping off my fish.. is this a correct set up and just bad luck? Or is there a step i am missing. Please help.Thanks

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: braided loop connector!?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »

a lot of people that use those will add a nail knot or two to make sure its on to stay.

I myself create my own loop by doubling the fly line back onto itself and then anchoring it down with tying thread and some flexible head cement. I start by anchoring the tying thread to create my loop size and then wrap away from the loop about 1/2", I will then add enough head cement so that my next set of wraps will get saturated through it, I wrap back to the loop then back up again, head cement again and then back towards the loop but only half way, toss in a 3 twist whip finish, make a few more wraps towards the loop and another whip finish then a few more wraps and a final whip finish (I usually do 2 on top of each other) then cut the thread free and allow the cement to FULLY DRY before doing anything with it. (after I cut free I will take my cement brush and smooth the head cement smooth with the thread to prevent hinging)

You can also cut away the fly line coating and do what I said or something similar to make your loop even thinner. I have never found the need though
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »

When I install braided loops, I tie two nail knots towards the back with 8lb mono and then a thin coat of aquaseal or uv knot sence. I have yet to have one come loose yet doing it that way.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »

you can't rely on the polymer sleeves often provided with those loops as they will push off towards the line tip very easily. As other replies said it's best to secure with a nail knot over the end of the braided line and fly line. One should do as the knot only holds then end in place. The braided line slipped over the fly line acts as the 'chinese finger trap' puzzle' and as pull increases it holds tighter. A bit of super glue etc on the end adds extra security. The braided loop is the best loop connection you can have at the end of a fly line but it requires a little extra effort.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »

When I install braided loops, I tie two nail knots towards the back with 8lb mono and then a thin coat of aquaseal or uv knot sence. I have yet to have one come loose yet doing it that way.
ditto that!!
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

300zxfairlady

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up attaching the braided loop straight to my fly line with a nail knot. I used a dap of hot glue on the knot just incase it comes out for my sake. My faith in landing fish has been restored!

Also one more question to you fly guys; When attaching a fly to the leader, I heard its good to have a loop as it gives the fly much more action. what is this loop tying technique called? I believe im doing it wrong by pulling the fly through leader and tying 2 knots to creat the loop.

EDIT: Is the perfection loop what you guys use to attach the fly?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:40:02 PM by 300zxfairlady »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up attaching the braided loop straight to my fly line with a nail knot. I used a dap of hot glue on the knot just incase it comes out for my sake. My faith in landing fish has been restored!

Also one more question to you fly guys; When attaching a fly to the leader, I heard its good to have a loop as it gives the fly much more action. what is this loop tying technique called? I believe im doing it wrong by pulling the fly through leader and tying 2 knots to creat the loop.

EDIT: Is the perfection loop what you guys use to attach the fly?

Non-slip knot, it is easier to tie.

Tie an overhand knot into the end of the leader, but do not tighten the knot, then pass the tag end through the eye of the hook and then back through the overhand knot.  Wrap the tag end around the leader (the number of wraps is determined by the diameter of the leader: see the table at the link below), then pass the tag end back through the overhand knot in the same direction it came out.  Lubricate the  knot and slowly tighten the knot so the hook loop is as small as possible and trim the tag end. Remember to always pass the line through the loop in the same direction it came out.

http://www.animatedknots.com/nonslipmono/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:53:22 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:28:39 PM »

don't use a loop knot with dry flies though. the simple Clinch knot is preferred loop knots don't allow dries to track properly and can also cause the head of the fly to be slightly pulled under the water because of the friction of the loop hanging into the surface film. Fishing dries is the only time I don't use the Non slip knot

Always remember to lubricate your knots before pulling them tight
Check out our new blog

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »

don't use a loop knot with dry flies though. the simple Clinch knot is preferred loop knots don't allow dries to track properly and can also cause the head of the fly to be slightly pulled under the water because of the friction of the loop hanging into the surface film. Fishing dries is the only time I don't use the Non slip knot

Always remember to lubricate your knots before pulling them tight

I would use a trilene knot for the dries, unless the fly is too small for the tippet to pass through the hook eye twice.
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »

funny you say that. my biggest dry I have fished on a river was a size 14 Elk hair caddis, fish dries down to 20's. On a lake I finally happened upon a traveller sedge hatch and got to fish a monster sized Tom Thumb (size 8 or 6 I think), it was good fun !
Check out our new blog

whereismyfloat

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »

I don't use the braided loops any more but rather just double over the flyline and nail knot it down. Cover in UV Knot Sense and cure for a smooth finish. I have found that the white loop connector is just too unnatural which bugs me especially on sink tips when you run a shorter leader. It's much more stealthy and cheaper.

ByteMe

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 07:40:07 AM »

I have found that the white loop connector is just too unnatural which bugs me
[/quote]
Head case....lol......magic markers comes in assorted colors,what's more unnatural is a bright colored Simms jacket against a dark background,casting a 6ft sillouette  :D
                                         Lefty Kreh

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »

that's why you never stand in the sight path of the fish your targeting  ;)

honestly I have had fish, even steelhead swim by me within a couple feet and not even notice I was standing there. The steely was the best cause I watched his swim path and promptly caught him a little later sitting behind the only large rock in the run where I thought it went to rest  ;D
Check out our new blog

ByteMe

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »

that's why you never stand in the sight path of the fish your targeting  ;)

honestly I have had fish, even steelhead swim by me within a couple feet and not even notice I was standing there.

HOOK............are you saying you're the guy with the bright Simms jacket that I can spot a mile away???..............lol :P
                                         Lefty Kreh

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

I am one of several guys on the river that have the Orange/Grey Simms coat. so yes but its never bothered the fish
Check out our new blog