Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cermaq Wins Appeal Against Don Saniford  (Read 11448 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Cermaq Wins Appeal Against Don Saniford
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

Yup, Don is very good at it. Send him more money.

Is that you Fishersolon?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »

Is that you Fishersolon?
Did you figure that out all by yourself AF? Outstanding. :)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 10:57:36 PM »

The original judge was satisfied that there were enough facts presented in court to rule against Mainstream.

The reason the feedlot company won the appeal was that the appeal court judge ruled that the facts supporting Don's statements that salmon feedlots kill, were not adequately illustrated on his website.

Don lost the appeal because he failed to publish the facts on a website.....   Let's see what the high court rules.

Yes, the original judge was satisfied, but the appeal judges were not and they gave reasons for their ruling.  I guess you can keep embracing the past if you want to though.

LOL....I know the reasons given by the appeal court judges, but in Don's case the reasons why the facts are not on his website is because (drum roll.......) he does not have any facts to put on it.  In order to publish facts you actually have to have them in the first place.  That takes too much time for activists like Don because they are too busy making YouTube videos and parading around like a clown in a orange prison suit.  Seeing as though you like to reminisce about the first trial here is something the judge did say:

[185] There are many problems with Mr. Staniford’s credibility. The passage from his cross-examination which I quoted above, concerning what happened at the May 2006 Meeting, is but one example of where Mr. Staniford will twist facts to conform to his own personal view. Unless firmly corroborated by other reliable sources, I would not accept Mr. Staniford’s version of disputed facts, since his closed-mindedness and deep prejudices make him an unreliable reporter of facts. I have concluded that he will say almost anything to further his own agenda. - Madam Justice Adair.

As I said before in the first trial, Don will keep doing what he is doing because they are the only tactics he knows.  It will be interesting to see how the Supreme Court of Canada would rule on this, but I will go out on a limb here and say that facts probably important to those judges also.  Those darn facts!  Hold another fundraising gala and say it is for "protecting wild salmon"...lol.

I went back to the previous threads and I found this interesting:

Don't get your shorts in a knot over two strange rulings from the same judge. A lot could change over the next year or so...the appeal court, if they agree to review the case, will need to look at the legalese of why the judge said "defamation with malice" is "fair comment". If they disagree with the first justice, there could be a whole new trial.....and more court costs for someone. - StillAqua

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »

Great to get home and read good news :)  Who's going pay this time??

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »

Well, Don appears to making some money for lawyers.  I understand he is in Ireland, so perhaps some legal system people reading this can answer what his responsibilities for paying this fine might be; can he enter Canada again while in default?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »

http://wcel.org/resources/environmental-law-alert/lack-footnotes-costs-fish-farm-activist-75000

A major lesson, and one that we’ve unfortunately seen before, is that deep pocketed companies have the power to drag their critics into court.  Staniford does not have the resources to pay a $75,000 damages award, and presumably Mainstream knows that.  It looks as if the real value of this litigation for them is to silence him and (perhaps) to discourage other critics.

In simple english it's called bullying.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 10:39:37 PM »

Well, Don appears to making some money for lawyers.  I understand he is in Ireland, so perhaps some legal system people reading this can answer what his responsibilities for paying this fine might be; can he enter Canada again while in default?

What we actually want this twit in Canada again, I think not. :o :o
Take the T out of Morton.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »

http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.ca/2013/06/key-document-slaughtered-diseased-fish.html

I guess you can pick and choose who the taxpayers are paying for. I'm using the big card item. Maybe Don is just trying to save us money in the long term. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:34 AM »

A major lesson, and one that we’ve unfortunately seen before, is that deep pocketed companies have the power to drag their critics into court.  Staniford does not have the resources to pay a $75,000 damages award, and presumably Mainstream knows that.  It looks as if the real value of this litigation for them is to silence him and (perhaps) to discourage other critics.

In simple english it's called bullying.

And AF breaks out the crying card, boho.  If Don had science and real facts to back him up this would not have happened. Looks like the Bully got his bottom spanked and the activists actually might learn something from this. Wink wink. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:49:28 AM by Fisherbob »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »

And AF breaks out the crying card, boho.  If Don had science and real facts to back him up this would not have happened. Looks like the Bully got his bottom spanked and the activists actually might learn something from this. Wink wink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

Netpenning:
definition - to use the material found under salmon farm net pens as material in a responce or basis for argument.

"the frankenfishers started netpenning about Don Saniford
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »

The crying towel gets wetter and the "we didn't see this coming" gets louder lol. :). Should of had some facts to staniford  behind in the first place. This is why I stopped following this twit and Morton. :)

StillAqua

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

If you go back and reread the article from West Coast Environmental Law that AF posted above, you'll see that it is all about the details of "how" you criticize the industry, not "if" you criticize the industry which would be muzzling or bullying as you and AF imply......it's a subtle point for some but WCEL lays out a very good guide for Staniford and Morton to criticize all they want and still keep their feet out of the fire.