Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoon weight for Vedder springs.  (Read 8657 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Spoon weight for Vedder springs.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »

I hear what you're saying. With gin clear water I would ditch the braid altogether and use the other spool I have for the reel which I believe is spooled up with 12lb berlkley XL, and from there run a flouro leader. However with the current clearish and fast water in the Vedder I like the braid as I can feel the action of the spoon way better than mono, and IMO if I get a strike I can get a better hookset on the 1/0 or 2/0 hook. With a small spoon say 1/4oz and a #2 hook or whatever is on it I'm sure the 12lb mono would work well.

I bought a book last year that had a LOT of good info on spoon fishing. I forget a lot of the content so I should re-read it, lol! Had lots of good info on the different types of spoons and the types of water each performs best in, different colors/finishes foor different water, and much more. Would 100% reccomend this book if you're interested in spoon fishing.

Here's a link to it http://www.amazon.ca/Spoon-Fishing-Steelhead-Bill-Herzog/dp/1878175300/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374171947&sr=8-2&keywords=spoon+fishing

I find spoon fishing fun and interesting but have only caught a few fish using this method. Gonna try and bring the spinning rod out more this year (despite funny looks I'll get from the baitcaster and centerpin crew). :o

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »

Do not overlook float fishing with unweighted spinners for chinook. Although straight colorados with metallic finishes work well I have had good success with painted cascade blades in 4.5 size.
If you want to give these a try give me a pm and ill let you know more about set up, colors and technique.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 08:05:36 AM »

Can anyone reccomend a good website (that ships to Canada) to order hooks, etc? My local shop dosen't have any open eye sickle siwash. I would specifically like to try the Gammies.

I order a fair bit of stuff online to Sumas, but I really can't be bothered driving across the line just to pick up some hooks (!) I buy most of my tackle locally so just looking to get a few things online. Perhaps a few fly tying materials as well that they don't seem to carry.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »

Heard guys say that these fish will snap 15 pound test on the take, telling you that that's nothing short of exaggeration.
It's not so much the line is snapped; it's that it's cut by their teeth. And you can float spoons.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »

Can anyone reccomend a good website (that ships to Canada) to order hooks, etc? My local shop dosen't have any open eye sickle siwash. I would specifically like to try the Gammies.

http://bentrods.ca/bent-rods-fishing-tackle

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »

Why do you want open eye siwash. Very simple to switch out with closed eye siwash offset hooks, available at Sea-Run.