Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sinking line recommendation  (Read 4809 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
sinking line recommendation
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:02:40 AM »

I like to equip my 6 wt fly rod with a fast full sink line to fish the deep pools of river. Any suggestion what type of fly lines will do the job best, also the approx price and place to buy that? Thanks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: sinking line recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »

I think you will want a sinktip of 10 to 24 feet in length type 3 or higher.Type 6 may be what you are after. I think 15 or longer is best for what you are looking for. Rio, Airflo Scientific Anglers all make suitable products.

The versatip lines from RIO are worth looking at - they are expensive but offer all the versatility you can ask for:

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/sink-tip/versitip-ii/

the 15 foot type 6, the 24 foot tip and the Avid tip are all worth looking at as well.

All kind of depends where,how deep and what water conditions you are looking at.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »

Thanks Ralph. Great recommendation. I called my local tackle store Searun on Rio lines and they recommend and have stock for Rio Deep 7 full sink line. Small diameter and sink fast. Yes, costly but should help me hook a few more fish. Looking forward to fight some salmon & trout on my 6 wt. I was told the line is heavy enough that I can also put it on my other 9 wt rod for the monster size coho. LOL. Worth it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:57:07 AM by liketofish »

roseph

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »

I'll admit I haven't spent much time casting that fast a full sink on moving water but I can't imagine it would be much fun.  I would try it out before bucking up. 

The versitip is a little clunky to cast but I personally would much prefer casting a sinktip over a full sinking line for what you're doing.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »

Casting a tip is easier for me, more weight at the head and it shoots much nicer. Is there any difference in presentation when comparing a sink tip and a full sink line?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »

Yes well sink tips offer the essentially ability to mend line on moving water. Full sinks usually work best on still water or the salt. But if the OP talked it over with someone at Sea Run he made his needs clear and got something that will do what he wants.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »

Honestly using a full sink line over 3 speed on any river (unless its REALLY slow moving) is just a waste of time since you will get caught up on the bottom. Long sink tips are the way to go for single handed rods. Rio versatip is the way to go.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »

Casting a tip is easier for me, more weight at the head and it shoots much nicer. Is there any difference in presentation when comparing a sink tip and a full sink line?

Yes - what Ralph said.  I learned that lesson the hard way back in 1999 while fishing for pinks.  I was using a full sinking line (normally used for trout lakes) and my presentation just got swept out of the zone.  Meanwhile, my fishing "mentor" was into fish after fish using a sinking tip system (we were using the same flies).  The ability to mend line is critical for a drag free drift in flowing water.

Anyway, later in the 1999 season, I switched up to a full floating line with long leaders and split shot to get into the zone.  It worked as far as hooking fish, but was terrible to cast!  I ended up investing in the proper gear and with a sinking tip system, my success rate for salmon and steelhead went way up.

However, for Stillwater a full sinking line is far better than a sink tip line IMHO.  In fact, I've got a Loop Evotec trout reel loaded up with a 5 wt Rio versitip system that has never been used!  I'm thinking this would be a great set up for trout in flowing water.  However, for stillwaters I haven't had a need for it yet.