Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Hush Hush, Sad.  (Read 14836 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: More Hush Hush, Sad.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »

You obviously don't know Stevey. He'll eat anything. He prefers diploid Paul Lake rainbows in full spawning colours. :P

Pork is better.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »

Although I find your arrogance annoying I must admit I'm enjoying myself as well. I am amazed at the efforts your industry puts into justifying it's existence.

I admit I'd like to believe even a small part of your message as it could mean that there is some hope for the survival of the wild salmon. Unfortunately I believe your drive to preserve your source of livelihood causes you to support an industry that has destroyed wild salmon in other parts of the world and is in the process of doing that here as well. The cover-ups, misinformation, PR campaigns and lies, are all part of the industries effort to buy time. When the wild salmon are gone, government and industry can say oops, and happily carry on polluting our waters. When the wild salmon are gone, their existence will be unopposed.

The message from the feedlot crew is that BC is different.....  ::)  That's just wishful thinking, or worse yet, it's part of the PR effort, and that is what drives us to oppose the feedlots.

What did you expect when you make wild, unfounded accusations about someone's occupation?  It amazes me that me and a few others that have been posting on here for awhile now that you still think we make our livelihood from fish farming.  As for posting fish farm PR you fail to notice the fact that the vast majority of references I post are not from the aquaculture industry.  Many of the references are from the Cohen Final Report.  I took the time for you to even direct you to the volume, chapter and page.  In addition, some of these references I have used in this forum were straight from Morton herself.  The problem is that you take them at face value without actually trying to understand the content.  For instance, Twyla says something and you take it as gosphel and start copying and pasting a bunch of paragraphs from her article - not realizing that obvious omissions have been made.  I realize you and other fish farm critics are having a difficult time with the Cohen Final Report, but in fairness, so is our glorious King back in Ottawa.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »

What did you expect when you make wild, unfounded accusations about someone's occupation?  It amazes me that me and a few others that have been posting on here for awhile now that you still think we make our livelihood from fish farming.  As for posting fish farm PR you fail to notice the fact that the vast majority of references I post are not from the aquaculture industry.  Many of the references are from the Cohen Final Report.  I took the time for you to even direct you to the volume, chapter and page.  In addition, some of these references I have used in this forum were straight from Morton herself.  The problem is that you take them at face value without actually trying to understand the content.  For instance, Twyla says something and you take it as gosphel and start copying and pasting a bunch of paragraphs from her article - not realizing that obvious omissions have been made.  I realize you and other fish farm critics are having a difficult time with the Cohen Final Report, but in fairness, so is our glorious King back in Ottawa.
As you are up on the Cohen can you tell us if Ottawa is acting on any of the recommendations from Cohen and do they really plan on taking it seriously or was it just another of many past studies and inquiries that end up going no where?

dnibbles

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 07:43:56 AM »

As you are up on the Cohen can you tell us if Ottawa is acting on any of the recommendations from Cohen and do they really plan on taking it seriously or was it just another of many past studies and inquiries that end up going no where?

It will be acted on (well, some of the recommendations). DFO has put together a response outlining what recommendations can be achieved, when, at what cost. Some are already underway, some aren't some never will be. As to what level Ottawa actually supports it ($$$), we shall see. More likely we will be asked to implement recommendations within current funding (or even with more cuts).

I can say firsthand that it is shaping some of the decisions currently being made within DFO, even if only unofficially (i.e. staff taking the recs and implementing them into ongoing business where possible). Ottawa decides what road we drive down, but folks out here keep their hands on the wheel and can weave through the potholes as they see fit.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »

It is unrealistic for me to submit all of my posts to you for review and approval prior to posting them....  For that reason I believe the disclaimer in my signature adequately covers me.   ::)  ???

On the other hand, implying that what you post is the whole and the only truth is presumptuous. Facts that are omitted also need to be considered. The efforts you put into your posts and the single topic you post on, indicates more than a passing interest on your part.  As such your agenda needs to be considered when reading anything you post.

It is always the responsibility of the readers to determine what to believe.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 12:21:51 AM »

It is unrealistic for me to submit all of my posts to you for review and approval prior to posting them....  For that reason I believe the disclaimer in my signature adequately covers me.   ::)  ???

On the other hand, implying that what you post is the whole and the only truth is presumptuous. Facts that are omitted also need to be considered. The efforts you put into your posts and the single topic you post on, indicates more than a passing interest on your part.  As such your agenda needs to be considered when reading anything you post.

It is always the responsibility of the readers to determine what to believe.

I never suggested that you submit all of your posts to me for review.  How it works here is that people post on topics - either starting their own or replying to an existing one.  Sometimes people agree - other times they do not.  People from all walks of life post on here - with a wide range of occupations and experiences.  It is called a "Discussion Forum".

I never suggested that what I post is the whole and the only truth.  However, with the issues we are talking about here there are myths (or things we don't really know) and there are facts.  I like to deal with facts because they are easier to defend.  On the other hand, you ignore facts and have a much difficult time defending your position.  It's your choice though.

I have no doubt you want to believe that I have some sort of agenda or that I am working for some multinational fish farm company.  It makes it easier for you to deflect and not face the facts in front of you.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/reportable/isa/statement-2013-07-05/eng/1373038790217/1373041710849

Due to the differences observed in these test results, the CFIA conducted evaluations of both laboratories to assess their capability to reliably detect the ISA virus in accordance with accepted scientific standards. The evaluation conducted at the AVC identified concerns, which may have led to the questionable ISA test results. This information was shared with the OIE.

The OIE designates reference laboratory status based on a laboratory's ability to maintain the highest technical and operational standards.  The OIE undertook an independent audit of the AVC after another OIE member country also reported issues related to ISA test results from this laboratory.  The OIE audit, performed by an international panel of scientific experts, found a series of weaknesses affecting the quality of diagnoses performed at the AVC laboratory. The decision to delist this laboratory as an OIE reference laboratory was approved unanimously by the General Assembly of the OIE in May 2013.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/reportable/isa/statement-2013-07-05/eng/1373038790217/1373041710849

Due to the differences observed in these test results, the CFIA conducted evaluations of both laboratories to assess their capability to reliably detect the ISA virus in accordance with accepted scientific standards. The evaluation conducted at the AVC identified concerns, which may have led to the questionable ISA test results. This information was shared with the OIE.

The OIE designates reference laboratory status based on a laboratory's ability to maintain the highest technical and operational standards.  The OIE undertook an independent audit of the AVC after another OIE member country also reported issues related to ISA test results from this laboratory.  The OIE audit, performed by an international panel of scientific experts, found a series of weaknesses affecting the quality of diagnoses performed at the AVC laboratory. The decision to delist this laboratory as an OIE reference laboratory was approved unanimously by the General Assembly of the OIE in May 2013.

absolon thinks Kibenge was shut down because he tested Morton's samples. I tend to agree with him....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 05:54:06 PM »

Nobody shut Kibenge down. His lab is still operating. Kibenge had his OIE certification removed because two audits showed his work didn't meet the standards of accuracy and reliability they require and his results therefore couldn't be considered reliable.

That is unless you think that too is a conspiracy and he's actually been secretly rendered to Guantanamo because of his opposition to a government plot to kill all the wild salmon.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:03:47 AM by absolon »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »

Actually, having thought about it a bit, I will make one suggestion about Kibenge.

Now that he has become just more collateral damage in her path, I'll bet he is seriously regretting the day he ever agreed to do any work for Morton.

Sounds to me like you were saying that he was shut down because of his association with Morton. Did you change your mind once you read the CFIA's PR piece?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2013, 06:14:14 PM »

Morton's kabuki performance brought his lab's shortcomings to the fore; those shortcomings cost his certification.