Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, June 28th 2013  (Read 3337 times)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Capilano River, June 28th 2013
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:12:01 AM »

Lots of fish in there (porpoising, jumping), but I couldn't get 'em to bite, despite throwing the tackle box at 'em.

Good luck this weekend if you're heading up!
A rig out of water catches no fish.

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano River, June 28th 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »

That was my experience too. Will some body tell me how to unzip their mouths? ;)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:00:02 AM »

10 foot leader and some green wool should do the job  ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »

dont joke about that...there are a group of snaggers frequenting the cable pool over the last week or so.  4 inches of lead, no float, long leaders and a snap at the end of each drift.  I saw one guy snag 6 fish in 15 minutes.  He would hand balm them up the side of the cliff, pop the hook out and theyd flop their way back down. 

I am not shy so I gave him a piece of my mind after the third fish.  He could change a bunch of things to avoid snagging the fish: shorten his leader, not jerk his line at the end of each drift, put a float on, etc, etc....but he was content snagging fish regularly.  He was like i dont mean to snag them...sorry chump, one or two can be considered accidental, 6 in 15 minutes...time to change up what youre doing. both  frustrating and sad. 

There is a group of 2-4 of them and they dont have a clue/realize that fishing like that beats the pool down and the fish turn off.  if they fished with more finesse, everyone there would do better there.

after I called DFO on them, i went for a little walk, found a spot to myself and got 2 6lbers in 20 minutes.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »

Ill hike into a spot this evening and be sure to stop at cable to see what's going on. Hopefully I find the run in mind empty.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »

Seen the group of snaggers twice now in the last couple weeks.  Quite blatant about it but I'm sure if they keep it up they will eventually get caught.

Drewhill

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 11:41:50 PM »

dont joke about that...there are a group of snaggers frequenting the cable pool over the last week or so.  4 inches of lead, no float, long leaders and a snap at the end of each drift.  I saw one guy snag 6 fish in 15 minutes.  He would hand balm them up the side of the cliff, pop the hook out and theyd flop their way back down. 

I am not shy so I gave him a piece of my mind after the third fish.  He could change a bunch of things to avoid snagging the fish: shorten his leader, not jerk his line at the end of each drift, put a float on, etc, etc....but he was content snagging fish regularly.  He was like i dont mean to snag them...sorry chump, one or two can be considered accidental, 6 in 15 minutes...time to change up what youre doing. both  frustrating and sad. 

There is a group of 2-4 of them and they dont have a clue/realize that fishing like that beats the pool down and the fish turn off.  if they fished with more finesse, everyone there would do better there.

after I called DFO on them, i went for a little walk, found a spot to myself and got 2 6lbers in 20 minutes.

One of them a blonde guy with a spinning reel?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 06:03:43 AM »

i saw a blonde guy yesterday afternoon bottom bouncing the lower platform but he was connecting with fish.  no, the one main guy i was refering too, he fishes a 9 foot rod, a feni hmx i think, hes in his 40s id guess, dark hair, white skin, under 6 feet tall.  first time i saw him he was stand next to an older asian guy.  they were talking and fishing maybe 2-3 feet apart so i assume they were together.  saw them back there again with a younger kid.  kinda dumpier heavy set guy with brown hair.  little chatter box usually, he tried to tell me how to land a steelhead 3-4 weeks back.  last trip there were 4 of em and they were all standing shoulder to shoulder on the upper rock at the cable pool.  all fishing the exact same rig...pretty sure they all fish together...they all fish the exact same rig anyhow.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »

On another post someone else spoke of this blonde guy and friends, I mistakenly thought he was referring to another guy and his friends.

Now I now know exactly who you mean. It's a group of about 3-4 guys, one has blonde hair short on the sides and long on top and he is deaf. He usually comes with a chubbier guy who doesn't usually fish but acts as his interpreter, wears a camo hat and glasses. His other snagger buddy is chubby also, with short brown hair. All of them look like wannabe thugs, kind kind of like the guys who wear north face vests at metrotown mcdonalds. On hotter days they just wear "tapout or "affliction" style shirts. They always fish spinning reels, saw him with a Cardiff one day but he broke the reel after trying to drag a 5lb coho in by the tail.

It's only a matter of time before they get caught, they are not shy about the way that they fish and they are there quite a bit.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:08:08 AM »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:34:29 PM by big_fish »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 07:43:47 AM »

Yup, that's the group I am referring to as well. 

Before I say anything more, I want to say that I have no issues sharing a bit of bait with a newbie, passing on a hot fly, in parting a bit of knowledge where I can, heck, I have even passed off a $1000 rod and reel to a total stranger so he could land a fish...bottom line, I don't mind pointing a person in the right direction or helping them out.

I have talked with a couple of these guys...they aren't interested in learning, they don't care about what they are doing.  Because of this, I have no issue going after them verbally when I see them snagging, mistreating fish, etc.  I recommend that everyone do the same. 

To be clear: try to help educate an individual if they are making mistakes but if they are unwilling to learn, develop, and change then give em S***, call DFO in front of them, make sure they don't feel comfortable continuing to do what they are doing.  Sooner or later they'll get them message.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »

I have talked with a couple of these guys...they aren't interested in learning, they don't care about what they are doing.  Because of this, I have no issue going after them verbally when I see them snagging, mistreating fish, etc.  I recommend that everyone do the same. 

To be clear: try to help educate an individual if they are making mistakes but if they are unwilling to learn, develop, and change then give em S***, call DFO in front of them, make sure they don't feel comfortable continuing to do what they are doing.  Sooner or later they'll get them message.

Well said man.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »

Well said man.
X2