Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oxbows at Oliver  (Read 4405 times)

buzzbomb

Oxbows at Oliver
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »

Can someone tell me how to find this feature?  I thought they were below McIntire Bluff adjoining the southwest corner of Vaseaux Lake and tried to find a road in there without success.  I tried going down River Road and couldn't see any access or water and got the scenic tour back on Horsefly Road.  I plan on fishing Yellow Lake, but want this bass venue closer to home too.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:01:14 PM by buzzbomb »
5% Alc./Vol.

Banny

Re: Oxbows at Oliver
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »

If you mean the two oxbows at the south end of Vaseaux lake...  There is no direct access, you have to launch at the south end of Vaseaux lake and row (No motors of any sort allowed) into them.  Be aware that there is a relatively strong current when rowing back up the outlet of the river into Vaseaux lake.  I had an extremely difficult time getting back upstream in my pontoon boat.

The launch is on Sundial road.

The only other way to access them would be to ride a bike down the old railway track from where it intersects Green lake road, and then hiking over the hill.  Shore casting would be challenging however...

Jordan

buzzbomb

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »

Not having a boat or a bike I can't get there then.  I tried casting at a wide spot by the highway without success, (looked quite shallow) so I'm curious, are there any other accessible spots to shore fish on Vaseaux?  Right now my distance is limited because I'm casting with my off-arm but I'm going to learn to flycast with my left like I'm supposed to, and in a few more weeks when my right arm is improved maybe I can use a carp rod and hit some real distance.  I found one place on Tuc-l-Nuit that is a shallow shelf but I think with a carp rod I could pitch out a nymph under a little float and reach deeper water.
5% Alc./Vol.

Banny

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »

I can't tell by your post if you mean you are fishing gear or flies, but there are a few pullouts along Vaseaux that I used to see people fishing.  Take a look at the depth map of the lake to give yourself an idea of where you should stop.  The entire south and north ends of the lake are very shallow.  The pullout before the narrows would be my first bet.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/fidq/bathyMapQuery.do

Do not by default discount shallow water though.  If there is structure (particularly rocks) you will find fish assuming it is not too late into the summer. 

Don't forget about the south end of Skaha, and anywhere else there is accessible structure on the east and west sides of the lake. 

buzzbomb

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »

Thanks Banny, I was using spinning gear and a little crankbait the other day, (I brought a few different things incl fly gear but I'm not great with it), and I was eyeing up the weedbeds on the north end just south of the provincial park thinking of throwing a jig around there.  I think when I go I'll park right at the prov. lot this time as the first lay-by will be hairy to get out of on a busy day.  I'm going to Penticton today so I'll try to look for access on Skaha; I'm here getting physio till the end of august and it's almost all free time.
5% Alc./Vol.

Banny

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »

3 and 4 inch curly tail worms on a 3/8 oz. jighead are all I ever needed to catch both smallmouth and largemouth chucking gear.  White, black, yellow, and chartreuse did the trick.  Plus they are cheap, and heavy enough to cast a long ways.

That, said I have never fished Vaseux from shore, most of my bass experience is from Shannon lake, the American side of Osoyoos lake, and a few lakes in the Kootenays.

If you do fish the weeds at the north end of Vaseux you will likely find largemouth, but few smallmouth bass.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:26:16 AM by Banny »

buzzbomb

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:21:10 PM »

Thanks, I stand corrected, the spot I saw is south of the wildlife area, not the park.  I'll save that map link too!  The road is going to be crazy for a few days so I may do something else like practice casting, we'll see.
5% Alc./Vol.

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »

The best fishing I had in that lake was along the far side from the highway-this was from a boat-notta helluva lotta shore spots.

buzzbomb

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »

There's a fellow runs a little tackle shop at the flea market here and he has aimed me at an area of the river I can walk to.   I had been looking at the same area,  and he confirmed that it's where to go.  Local knowledge is so important you never realize it until you move.
5% Alc./Vol.