Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roderick L Brown  (Read 6011 times)

arimaBOATER

Roderick L Brown
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:33:33 AM »

We have a ch. named Silver Screen which has alot of older movies. A few minutes ago they had a short 5-10 Canada Film Board film which main point was about Canadian writers trying to have a book published. One example was about a Canadian man named Roderick L Haig Brown.
He had quite a few fishing adventure books published.
There is a mountain & a Gov Prov. campsite named after him in BC. Born in the early 1900's & died in 1970 " something ".
He also did work to keep the lower Fraser in a condition that would help salmon stocks.
Maybe he's well known to many of you but if not maybe worth checking this interesting guy out.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: Roderick L Brown
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:23 AM »

I thought everyone who fishes knows of the late great Roderick Haig Brown. Maybe not? I would think, he wouldnt be too happy,as to what is happening to our fisheries...

rickjames_2

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »

Great Author, came across him while taking a course on Canadian literature. Great man who did some fantastic work. He is like the Pierre Berton of Canadian fishing literature  ;D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »

He is a pretty well known author and conservationist in the fly fishing world. Born in England and ended up in Cambell River on the island.

I have read excerpts of his writings, but not a whole book so I recently picked up a copy of his book, "A River Never Sleeps" and look forward to reading through it.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »

My cabin is walking distance from Roderick Haig Brown Park on the Adams.I love to walk its trails and fish the river when it is open.A great man.We could use a lot more like him.
Riverman

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »

He used to derogatorily refer to folks who could only see dollar signs in 'development' as boomers.  (Nothing to do with baby boomers.)   He really didn't like boomers.

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »

Read a few of his books, A Fisherman's Spring, Return to the River-A Story of the Chinook Run, and Fisherman's Summer, excellent books
He was a great man with some real vision, would recommend his books to anyone with an interest in fishing or conservation.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:06 AM »

His best writing was published 60 years ago and more so it's a record of a lost time for the most part. As far as writing goes he's generally acknowledged as the greatest angling writer since Izak Walton. His 'style', which was fairly simple and straightforward was widely admired by people such as Ernest Hemingway.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »

I'm presently reading his "Measure of the Year" for the third time, IMO his best work.  A brilliant writer who could snake roll words into perfect casts.
I feel fortunate to have seen the man, in the early seventies, a meeting back when he was a Commissioner with the International Pacific Salmon Fisheries Commission.

For those who have not read this man, give it a try.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »

He used to derogatorily refer to folks who could only see dollar signs in 'development' as boomers.  (Nothing to do with baby boomers.)   He really didn't like boomers.
What would he think and say about fish farms? :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 09:32:34 PM »

Good question. He was certainly against uncontrolled development, but definitely understood the need for a properly managed resource based economy.
Whatever his thoughts on aquaculture, no doubt it would have been well researched and practical in the terms of the day.   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:34:47 PM by Dave »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »

He is a legend around here