Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Trip Out  (Read 10150 times)

apeman

• I'm a llama!
First Trip Out
« on: May 31, 2004, 12:28:31 PM »

Hi All -

I'm looking for Ideas of where would be a good place to go for my first fly fishing outing this weekend? I've just started, I have a few flies, and I can cast OK now.

I have a six weight rod with floating line. I'm not sure if I could handle a coho on it. I was thinking of catch'n and release'n some trout somewhere. I wanted to avoid crowds just in case I hook someone in the back of the head :)

Thanks for any advice!
- apeman

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
Re:First Trip Out
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 09:33:45 PM »

weaver,hicks,deer,jones,....... ;)
Please honey can i go fishing now???

otto

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 10:01:41 PM »

Rice Lake...great because your backcast goes over the water if you flyfish from the dock!!!  fun little trout to catch too...fiesty!!  ;D ;D

markyboy

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 10:22:43 AM »

Do you have a belly boat? I haven't found many places to cast from the shore on many lakes but maybe the listed lakes have spots I didn't find. Hicks lake also rents canoes so you can get out there somewhere safe to cast , but if there's any wind at all you will drift (fine if you're planning on trolling).

If you have a bellyboat then I'd suggest Mike lake (though getting in and out of the water is a chore because of the mud/sludge) or Alice lake in addition to those mentioned. Both tend to have quite high numbers of small fish though they can get fished out pretty early in the season as they are both very popular.

apeman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 01:50:29 PM »

I havn't decided if I want to get a bellyboat or a uboat yet. Still looking, and saving some $.

I do have cheap hip waders that I could use to get out a bit further in the water.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to pick one to try this weekend.

- apeman ;D

apeman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 05:01:32 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions folks! I ended up going to Mill lake today, got skunked. but it was still fun to be out anways.

;D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 09:04:26 AM »

Just a suggestion. Belly boats are inexpensive (comparatively speaking) and great but I personally think you should save up and go for a pontoon boat. You will be much happier, believe me.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

otto

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 11:01:07 PM »

Apeman....6 weight is just fine for coho, a lot of fly fishers are using 1  -  3 weight rods (myself included for larger fish. it is all in how you control the fish. use the rod to your advantage, think of it as a shock absorber for the line!!! use the drag too. it can be your best friend when using light fly tackle!!

(i'm sure this post will draw some flak but i am just providing my 2 cents, based on MY experiences with 1 - 3 weight rods for large fish (salmon, carp, and yes a dogfish!)

apeman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 02:53:52 PM »

Thanks! I think a trip out to the Cap. is in order :) I just have to get some flies for them, everything in my box is for trout.

cheers! - apeman