Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Cheakamus is in Fishable Shape  (Read 8129 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: The Cheakamus is in Fishable Shape
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »

As long as there's water, any river is fishable.

Actually no... As long as there's no leader length restriction, any river is fishable. ;)

All have valid points, it really depends on what stage you are in fishing. Personally a report like this doesn't interest me too much, especially for this time of the year when most are focusing on lake fishing.

mikep

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »

Ahhhh geeze...........well at almost 30 years old I sure hope my mommy isn’t driving me around to my fishing holes. When I first started to fish you learned from experienced anglers who were kind enough to take you out and share some info. When I was 15 I used to ride my mountain bike from Horseshoe Bay to the cable pool, leaving at 230 am just to get the money spot before anyone else. When I was old enough to drive I would look at the weather reports/river heights and make a decision based upon conditions and head for a body of water. Maybe one of my buddies would share some info with me and I would head out on an expedition. Man there were a lot of trips for not and yes I burned a lot of gas and put many miles on the truck. There were the days when you went somewhere on a hunch and hit it big, that was where the reward was, figuring out how weather effects the flow and how the fish move.......put in the time, burn the gas, get some flat tires and figure it out.

The Check really isn’t that big of a system and really doesn’t have all that many steelhead in it, all things considered. When you post things on the internet it is pretty much free for all to see and in Vancouver there are lots of fishermen sitting in front of computers waiting for reports like that. Please don’t help the couch fishermen, who lurk, they don’t deserve the info. If you want to pass some info along…..great…..call some of your close fishing buddies and throw them a bone…….just not the entire internet.  That’s my two cents…….It is a lot sweeter when you figure it out yourself, that’s part of the adventure.
And Malcolm it is very different then heading to the ski hill for a POW day………..

mko72

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »

And Malcolm it is very different then heading to the ski hill for a POW day………..

It should be noted that Mike and I know each other outside of this forum and we even fish together sometimes.  His angling skills are VASTLY superior to mine.

Now, I love to argue and I'm prepared to disassemble Mike's post piece by piece but that post would be so long you'd need to get a coffee and a blanket; and you'd probably miss the 11 o'clock news.

So let's agree to disagree on this one. Just bear in mind that we don't all have access to old-timers to show us the ropes and that the original statement doesn't guarantee a bunch of beeks in your sweet spot, it just means more guys at the cable pool, the KWB bridge or whatever the Check equivalent is.   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »

It should be noted that Mike and I know each other outside of this forum and we even fish together sometimes.

Thanks for mentioning that. Too often people assume readers are aware of their relationship with other members and posts can be misunderstood.

While the concern of drawing significant angling pressure to a particular sensitive fishery is very valid, lets not look too much into this thread. I highly doubt the Cheakamus has been lined up with anglers after the OP suggests the water condition is good. Unless you have prior experience on fishing on the Cheakamus during this time of the year, you most likely don't even know what target species are available right now. Keep in mind that the fisheries offered in the upper and lower parts of the Cheakamus are also different, so we could be talking about anything beside steelhead. On the other hand, if the OP had reported a banner day of 20 steelhead hook-ups on the Cheakamus, then the post probably wouldn't last on a public board for very long. People are free to post information, but we can find a balance on what should or should not be posted. In this case, I see no harm to it, but have no problem removing posts which I feel would impact a fishery negatively. This also does not suggest that I discourage exploring. Keep in mind that exploration plays a big component in experienced fishermen's expectation. It is what brings you out there. For entry-level anglers, or those who have only done it for awhile, quicker gratification is expected. Experienced anglers will always think others with less experience don't get it, but it won't change this mentality, so accept it. As the angler progresses, his or her expectation will change. What you can do is to show others your appreciation of this hobby, in a non-condescending way. Be a teacher, not an enemy.

mikep

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

I have no problem teaching someone who is genuinely interested in putting in the time on the water, that is how I became the fisherman I am today by hanging out on the river and soaking in all of the info I could from more experienced anglers. I have just watched some of my favorite areas become crowded and littered with garbage once its location get posted up on the internet....I think forums are a great area to discuss methods, styles and fishing politics as never have you had so many fishermen in once place to give their opinion or advice. I don't think they are the best place to discuss small river systems which have even smaller runs of fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »

You'll never be able to stop someone from mentioning a particular fishery which you do not wish to be broadcasted on the internet, it'll pop up from time to time and posts are removed if I and other moderators determine them to be inappropriate for public viewing. Like I said there has to be a balance and it comes down to the context of the posts. Posts that draw instant growth of angling pressure should be avoided, but others with generic information should not be a problem. For this particular one, again I highly doubt it raised any interest among readers. Ironically, the follow-up discussion probably generated more fishing pressure than the original post, because it's showing experienced anglers are trying to keep it a secret, which it really isn't. In the future, if a post like this emerges, the best thing to do is just leaving it alone if you don't want more attention to it, or, you can contact one of the moderators who will decide whether it should stay or not.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »

Not being one to post fishing reports on the net as I feel that information has to be earned ( through experience or contacts) I would not read much into the worry about the Cheakamus at this time of year. If your looking for steelhead in a coastal river in damn near June, you would be better off trying to find one of those rare summer run streams. The Cheakamus is not one of them. All you should find is the odd trout or char or maybe a late steelhead kelt if your in the anadromous section and tiny trout in the other area. I would not waste the gas. Another good warm spell and it's going to be in freshet anyway.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »

And that's a wrap! Amen... MikeP
Fish killer 101

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »

Keep it hush hush guyz. the big shot resident guiding expert has been there when he learned fishing here, but the rest of u newbs cant talk about river condition so stop posting ! lol... ::)

He boys, going to the cap tomorrow, need to know if its fishable, please reply, i looked at the cam and its kinda high but what can u do! Wish me luck!

Has any one been out in the last week? If so how is the water level, and colour?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »

Notice the date, 2006 & 2007.  :o I was in grade 8, LOL I was riding my bike to the river, taking public transit, and begging family members and older friends to drive me. I've put in my dues... Spent thousands of dollars on fuel, vehicles, service, and fishing equipment to get where I am today. I did not troll behind a computer screen. 100+ days a year on the river will do great things for your fishing. So... Any other questions or comments??? At 20 years old, I think I've put in more rod days total in my life than 95% of the people out there. What was everyone else doing at 20 years old??? I've worked in a tackle shop since I was 13, full time since the 2nd day after my highschool graduation, and that very fall I started my guiding career. I have chased steelhead/salmon for the last 36 months straight full time all over this province and into the USA. As far North as the Skeena, over on Van Island. and as far south as the Olympic peninsula. There's my rant for the week. Next...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:40:55 AM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

joshhowat

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »

Well this thread just got good!!
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod