Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Following the rules  (Read 6639 times)

Troutfun

Following the rules
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:52:07 PM »

I am new to the Lower Mainland and love to trout fish. I am amazed at the amount of people here who don't give a dam about the rules. I have ventured to a few stocked lakes so far this spring and every time I have witnessed the same thing. Today was the worst. The limit imposed for fish is not a guide line .....I keep seeing people and oddly enough pontooners and belly boaters going way over the limit. Today was ugly two Russian sounding guys took at least 20 trout between them. So much for the kid who was hoping to catch one at the lake this summer it will be cleaned out by the time his Dad takes him..... My fun trout fishing is going away quickly grow up follow the rules have some respect. Disgusting
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:53:14 PM by Troutfun »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Following the rules
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:19 PM »

Troutfun

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »

Thanks Rodney .......I came to fish not to be a cop .....that said I get it if nobody says anything nothing happens.....I need to work on finding the remote spots as the crowds and the Poachers are making me sick..... tough thing about this is those remote spots take local knowledge which I don't have .....new hobby perhaps..... one more day like today and Im hanging up the rod so to speak.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »

Definitely not asking any angler to be a cop on the water, but enforcement officers are encouraging all to phone in and report poachers because the number of calls they receive have been steadily dropping in recent years. Their success is highly dependent on our contribution. Phone the violations in. They may or may not get attended, depending on where the officers are at the time.

Fillibert

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:42:31 AM »

It's just that the ratio of times I've seen laws broken to officers is very high... dozens to zero. I've called it in a bunch of times but no response. From experience there is usually someone braking the law at all the popular spots, if the fisheries ppl showed up everyday, they would pay for their yearly budget in a week.

SteelHunter

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »

The best thing you can do when you see this is to call RAPP very easy to report on cell phone.

Plus you complain about it yet you have no excuse not to follow them to there car causally and take down there license plate and take pictures of them getting in there car or truck. Im pretty sure this would scare the shiet of them and with your testimony later on they can be convicted of poaching charges in court because DFO only needs a witness to testify.

I always have my camera on me and If saw that severe of an infraction I would be calling DFO instantly and following them to to get license plate and pictures.

You dont even gotta be a cop because you dont even gotta say a word to the poachers just follow them like you going to your car to go home .

How can You just let these people empty the lakes from our kids and walk away like they done nothing wrong. We need start getting pictures of these people and license plate numbers and we can post online and report to DFO.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:15:54 AM by SteelHunter »

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »

The poaching situation finally comes down to "how much will the people (you, we) put up with."

Troutfun:  posting here is a pretty good start on where finding out where the fishing is . . .

Troutfun

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »

Thanks Keithr .....I loaded the RAPP number in my phone and will use it as needed puts a new slant on fishing for sure. People will continue to amaze me lets hope this issue improves.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »

Plus you complain about it yet you have no excuse not to follow them to there car causally and take down there license plate and take pictures of them getting in there car or truck. Im pretty sure this would scare the shiet of them

Last year , i saw a guy get thrown in the cap river with his camera together, so be careful when you want to be a tough guy out there.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »

This will probably not be a popular  :) but I don't get too bent out of shape when anglers break the law at a urban put and take lake with gear or limit violations. Yes, it's llegal and they are abusing a public resource, but I don't get to bent out of shape. I tend to reserve my wrath for the retention, or over-harvesting (depending on the body of water) of wild fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »

This will probably not be a popular  :) but I don't get too bent out of shape when anglers break the law at a urban put and take lake with gear or limit violations. Yes, it's llegal and they are abusing a public resource, but I don't get to bent out of shape. I tend to reserve my wrath for the retention, or over-harvesting (depending on the body of water) of wild fish.

Problem with that is if he gets away with it, he'll probably try the same at other lakes, rivers etc.

Troutfun

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »

If this abuse is so common in stocked lakes I can only imagine the impact on salmon ect  If it is a fill the freezer cheap food motivation then its got be all of the fisheries feeling the pain.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:41:03 PM by Troutfun »

Fillibert

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 11:09:49 PM »

There needs to be a rapp line by text. A bunch of the times I called in discreetly because I don't want to have a "reputation" and then they call back 5 minutes later asking tons of questions with everyone around listening.

tanked_darren

• I love to troll
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »

I don't understand why people do things like this 20 lake trout?  Those guys are losers, I'm a loud mouth I would have confronted them.  Not sure if I'd call in, I like the texting idea.

zap brannigan

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »

i have no problem confronting them and reporting, dont get why people would need that many bland muddy fish though.