Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swapping out the trebles for a single  (Read 4450 times)

rootbeer

Swapping out the trebles for a single
« on: April 26, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »

I did the diligent forum search and read about switching from trebles to singles, but what I could not find was what type of single hook to use.  For instance the size 0 blue fox I bought for trout came with a single siwash hook, but it still seems big compared to the hooks I use for trout float fishing.  Can I just put the gamakatsu #6/#8 Octopus on the end of the blue fox, attached to a split ring?  I looked at other hooks and the eyes are all offset either towards or away from the point of the hook, unlike the siwash that came with the spinner where the eye was inline with the shaft.  I am mainly fishing for smaller rainbow and other small fish. 

O.k. more concise question: when swapping out treble for single, how much does the size and shape and type of the single matter?

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Swapping out the trebles for a single
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 01:45:46 PM »

Octopus hooks are generally a poor choice for spoons and spinners because the upturned eye causes the hook to ride at an odd angle (preventing hookups) and pulling on the line actually causes the hook to be levered out of the fish's mouth (lost fish).

Siwash hooks (straight eye) are your best bet. My favorites are Matzuo Sickle and Mustad Ultrapoint Siwash offset.

Not sure where you are but Sea-Run has the Ultrapoint Siwash hooks. C-Tire has the thin wire sickle hooks that will bend on salmon, but are probably okay for trout.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TerminalHooks/PRD~0784292P/Matzuo+Sickle+Octopus+Red+Chrome.jsp?locale=en
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:47:50 PM by typhoon »

rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »

Thank-you, that is helpful.  I live in the Interior, so I have a couple of tackle shops to choose from, as well as good 'ol CTire.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »

Typhoon, some good tips there! I knew that the siwash hooks have a bigger eye but I never thought of the angle that the hook would ride at. Good to know.

Question: is there a "difference" between the straight siwash (such as the Gamagatsu I usually buy) and the offset siwash like the Mustad Ultrapoint? I have heard some guys say that the straight siwash are better for colorados and other light spinners/spoons as they don't affect the action of the light lure. In other words they glide straight through the water. Whereas an offset siwash, so I'm told, will affect the action of the lure. However I've heard with bigger/heavier lures, say a 1/2oz spoon, will not be affected by either hook, so choose what you like.

I have also heard that the offset siwash are better at holding a fish on, although I'm not really sure why. I've never tried sickle style hooks (siwash or any other type). Personally I have not noticed a difference in fish retention between straight or offset siwash hooks on my spinners, spoons, etc. I generally just buy the straight silver Gamagatsu if I'm swapping out trebbles, replacing fouled singles, etc.

Lastly, I'll share a tip I learned from the TV show Fishful Thinking that has improved my hook up rate. It pertains to swapping out the trebble for a single hook on flatfish lures. I always just cut off the trebble, put on a split ring, and then added an appropriately sized siwash hook. However, as Charlie points out, now your hook is riding sideways through the water. Not great for hook ups. The sollution? Use two split rings together off the flatfish. When adding the siwash hook make sure the hook point will point up. I switched all my flat fish up this way and noticed I lost very few fish, whereas before with only one split ring the fish were flipping the hook often and I couldn't figure out why.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:29:45 PM by Spawn Sack »