Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary Lake  (Read 1598 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
St Mary Lake
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:18:50 AM »

I have reservations for the first three weeks in June and am hoping to wear out some flies and exercise the bass.  But I haven't been there for a couple of years now and am wondering if anything has substantially changed.  Thanx, keith.

BCLAX

Re: St Mary Lake
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »

That velociraptor migration really put a damper on things just dont stay out after dark, cheers.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:22:43 PM »

Poppers anywhere along shore, along downed trees, overhaning branches etc.  There will be ~1lbers until you are blue in the face, for fun.

Once you tire of that action, and are looking for bigger fish, find drop offs and areas adjacent to deeper water and go int/full sink with leech patterns, streamers, clousers etc....try to find areas with shallow water that transition to  deep water quickly.  I don't want to post specific areas, you'll find them with a sounder or good map.

Have fun, you will hook big trout while you target smallies.  And vice versa.

It is an awesome lake.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »

Thanks Damien,
I'm really gotta try those deeper areas you mention again.  Trouble is there so much along the edges, in shallow water that I give up on the deeper water really soon.  Like you say, fish like you were fishing for one thing and catch everything from perch to trout to bass.
Thanks also for telling me what I was mostly wanting to hear:  fishing is still good.

BCLAX:  I couldn't find velociraptors in the regs.  Since they are an invasive species I suppose they'll be like perch:  limit, twenty a day.  Thanks for the headsup! and grin.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »

We arrived Friday night. Mark's place (Lakeshore Gardens) is beautiful as always.  The lake has lots of algae at the moment; nonetheless, I and a few others have been fishing.  By St Mary Lake standards I'd say the fishing is a little slow, but still pretty good.  I've caught some (maybe ten) small (foot-long) trout (we ate four of them, and they were OK).  I'm catching much fewer perch than I did two years ago.  I've caught more little bass than perch.  I've caught five or six bass about a foot long and two seventeen inch ones.  (I realize bass are catch and release until the fifteenth.  I measured those bigger ones quick.).
Today I took the pontoon boat down, put it in the car, and went to Stewell, set it up again and caught four (13, 14 inch) cut throat.  Water was clear.  I was the only one fishing there.  Very pretty spot.
Tomorrow I'm thinking maybe Cusheon.
I've been fly fishing.  On St Mary Lake I've caught fish on damsel fly nymphs and black stone fly nymphs, and some other flys, but what has worked best so far is a blond stone fly nymph.  I think this is because it's easier to see in the cloudy water.  Today on Stowell I caught everything on a damsel fly nymph.