Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alice lake... What's up?  (Read 4945 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Alice lake... What's up?
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »

I noticed alice hasn't been stocked.   It's been like this for a while.   

Is something wrong with the lake?
see ya on the river

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Alice lake... What's up?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »

they told me monday that squamish lakes were going to be stocked tuesday 16th. dident get details of lakes stocked.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »

GoFishBC's 2013 stocking plan for each region can be found at:

http://gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports/fish-stocking-plans.aspx

For the approximate time when the lake will be stocked, you can find that out by phoning the hatchery.

The lakes in Squamish that are scheduled to be stocked this week are Browning and Edith.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »

Why so few in Alice is my question.     I used to love that lake
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:24:15 PM by jettabambino »
see ya on the river

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »

Probably later stocking because water is colder.  Probably less fish stocked because less anglers than urban lakes.

GoFishBC

• Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »

Alice Lake is on the stocking list to be stocked with 500 Catchables this spring.  This list is provided to the Freshwater Fisheries by the regional biologist for the lower mainland region.  The biologists determine the numbers of fish to be stocked into lakes taking many factors such as angling pressure into consideration.  The Freshwater Fisheries Society only has a limitted number of Catchables available for each region of the province each year.  Each biologist then has to prioritize their allotment of fish for the number of lakes that they wish to have stocked.  Even though some lakes could use more fish, those extra fish just are not available most of the time.

Cheers,

Tight Lines!!   :) :D

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »

Alice is a beautiful little lake our family goes camping there a lot, I always see the young kids trying to fish it but with only small stocking numbers they are often left empty handed.
Personally I would rather see more fish go into these types of lakes with kids camping close by than some of the people feeder urban lakes.

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »

Alice is a beautiful little lake our family goes camping there a lot, I always see the young kids trying to fish it but with only small stocking numbers they are often left empty handed.
Personally I would rather see more fish go into these types of lakes with kids camping close by than some of the people feeder urban lakes.
Well said, most of the urban poaching ponds are overstocked, to the detriment of Lakes such as Alice,Stump,Edith etc...

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »

I agree... Rather see some fish in this lake than the city
see ya on the river

RG

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »

Speaking of sea to sky lakes, anybody know if all the ice is off on Alta lake in Whistler?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »

Speaking of sea to sky lakes, anybody know if all the ice is off on Alta lake in Whistler?

It has been off for two weeks now.

RG

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 10:52:48 PM »

Sweet thanks!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 08:01:54 AM »

I'd have to agree with jimmy.  I fished this lake back in the mid to late 90's, and it was stocked quite well back then (4 - 5 thousand give or take per year).  In fact, I remember being out on Alice in my tube, and you could literally "smell" the fish in the air!  The setting provides for a much more pleasant and natural experience than the lakes in the city.  I always wondered why the stocking numbers were significantly lowered in recent years.  I too always thought of Alice being a very popular lake for families and children, and wanted to take my kids fishing there myself.

I understand that the city lakes receive much higher pressure, and the folks from GoFishBC wanted to promote fishing.  The city offers the highest population density, and the lakes within it have good shore access.  Alice and Browning have decent shore access as well, but other lakes like Stump and Brohm have limited shore access.  It's about resources, and getting the biggest "bang for the buck".  High density is good and bad.  There's more people who are just want to enjoy a nice fishing experience, which means more licenses sold. But there's also more poachers and unethical anglers in the mix.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »

I agree.  Gofish....do we get any input
see ya on the river

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »

Well said.
I have never fished there but went for picnics during summer.
It's such a nice lake for family and kids and it would be nice if more than 500 trout could be stocked there so that kids could have more fun fishing.