Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tube Flies  (Read 7874 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Tube Flies
« on: June 25, 2004, 06:30:05 PM »

I picked up a couple of them today to try out in the chuck this summer for coho on the kelp beds. Anyone had much experience/sucess with them ?

They llok simply enough to use, but do you need to attach anything to the line before tying the hook on. I mean, does there need to be anything between the hook and the fly ? And also, is there a need for a tandem-hook set-up ?

Thanks.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

otto

Re:Tube Flies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 11:13:05 PM »

spudcote......whats a "tube fly"  ???    this noob needs to know...... ;D ;D

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 08:40:26 AM »

Just started tying up some of these wonderful flies but haven't tried any yet. But as for your question about needing anything between the fly and hook, there is a small piece of tubing (called a junction tube) that is put on the bottom of the fly and the knot and eye of the hook are pulled up inside of the tube. Make sure you use a straight eyed hook. If your interested in tying up some of your own there is a great little tool that fits into most any vise made by HMH, and is availble in most fly shops. Hope this helps you out.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 02:18:01 PM »

A tube fly is simply a fly that it "constructed" around a tube instead of a hook. The tube is threaded onto the line, and then a hook is attached afterwards. The fly is able to slide up the line, but fits back onto the hook when retrieved. They seem lighter than "normal" flies, but that may just be me...
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

fishin_dude

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 08:35:59 AM »

I have used tube flies for the last two seasons and I think they are great. I have a better catch ratio. I found that there is no need for a tandum hook set up on lakes and rivers where I used them. I used them on leech patterns and minnow / fry patterns. I have been tying by using a finishing nail clamped into my fly tying vise and it works great. The tube from a qtip works quite well I have also used some copper tubing from an old fridge.

Let me know how they work on ocean.
Good luck