Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1340011 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2163 on: January 23, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2016/01/12/alleged-findings-of-isa-in-bc-salmon-will-not-spur-testing-changes/?utm_source=Watershed+Watch+Email+List&utm_campaign=22b673bf2e-Salmon_News_Jan_20_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_405944b1b5-22b673bf2e-166912013
  Nice to see the testing has been and will continue to be done by educated people and is refreshing to see from Doc Morton's "Dog Science". :)

"A recently released scientific paper claiming that a sequence of infectious salmon anaemia (ISA) virus is present in British Columbia, Canada, will not prompt any changes to the already-vigorous ISA testing program, according to the B.C. Ministry of Agriculture's senior fish pathologist Gary Marty."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:49:01 PM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2165 on: February 05, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »

http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/fish-farms-eye-piece-10-billion-aquaculture-pie
Nice!  It's plain to see aquaculture is here to stay in BC and is expanding it's potential for other opportunities to benefit others, much like the chicken, beef and pork industry has done with their waste products.  Good post ;)

wizard

« Reply #2166 on: February 05, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

So right now sea life on ocean floor under these pens should be thriving and flourishing more so then areas not close to the pens due to all the "nutrition"? 
Is this correct?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2167 on: February 05, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »

A few years ago I posted that I had the opportunity to jig for bottom fish with my brother in law, a few km outside of Port Hardy. Understand, neither of us were experienced with this type of fishing but he had a 40' sailboat, we were spreading my mother in law's ashes in the Pacific at her request, and it was a beautiful, sunny day.  Some beers were on board and consumed.  He knew my stand on salmon farms so I asked him to drift alongside a farm and we did, perhaps a hundred M from the first farm we came to (on the left, just out of Hardy Bay) jigging big ugly spoon like chunks of shiny metal, just off the bottom. Again, we are total beeks at this style of fishing but in about 45 minutes we caught 4 species of ground fish, the only 2 I could identify were a small ling cod and a capezon.
While drifting along side this salmon farm we saw many sea birds, a few dolphins, several sea lions and many seals. The place was alive with living things.
To me, this one day of fishing near a salmon farm totally convinced me a farm properly sited, taking into consideration sheltered bays and tidal influences, made my argument easier to defend.

There was a video posted earlier of prawns thriving beneath salmon farm net pens ..., perhaps someone could dredge that up ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2168 on: February 05, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »

A few years ago I posted that I had the opportunity to jig for bottom fish with my brother in law, a few km outside of Port Hardy. Understand, neither of us were experienced with this type of fishing but he had a 40' sailboat, we were spreading my mother in law's ashes in the Pacific at her request, and it was a beautiful, sunny day.  Some beers were on board and consumed.  He knew my stand on salmon farms so I asked him to drift alongside a farm and we did, perhaps a hundred M from the first farm we came to (on the left, just out of Hardy Bay) jigging big ugly spoon like chunks of shiny metal, just off the bottom. Again, we are total beeks at this style of fishing but in about 45 minutes we caught 4 species of ground fish, the only 2 I could identify were a small ling cod and a capezon.
While drifting along side this salmon farm we saw many sea birds, a few dolphins, several sea lions and many seals. The place was alive with living things.
To me, this one day of fishing near a salmon farm totally convinced me a farm properly sited, taking into consideration sheltered bays and tidal influences, made my argument easier to defend.

There was a video posted earlier of prawns thriving beneath salmon farm net pens ..., perhaps someone could dredge that up ;D
I wonder how many years the pens had been there when the Beaks drifted by?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2169 on: February 05, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

I have no idea how long that farm had been there and indeed is the only salmon farm I have seen first hand. What I did see, along with the fish caught, was a ton of avian and mammalian diversity close by, and a few people making a decent living who spend their earnings in the town of Port Hardy...  looked just about right to me.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2170 on: February 08, 2016, 08:08:59 AM »

" I could identify were a small ling cod and a capezon."

You could of seen her on facebook? So she's making a decent living eh.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2171 on: February 08, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »

I'd have liked to have seen some analysis on residuals in those fish Dave. Always the Devil's advocate.... ;)

End buy da Lard Tonderin', Eye kin teech ya how ta jig cod, my sun. Me Newfinese Dad end me Nova Scotian unkles tawt me reel gud, bye.
http://

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2172 on: February 08, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »

I'd have liked to have seen some analysis on residuals in those fish Dave. Always the Devil's advocate.... ;)

End buy da Lard Tonderin', Eye kin teech ya how ta jig cod, my sun. Me Newfinese Dad end me Nova Scotian unkles tawt me reel gud, bye.

Yeah, I'm sure better fishermen would have caught a lot more :)
The fish were released but looked healthy to me, and I have seen a ton of unhealthy fish ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2173 on: February 08, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »

" I could identify were a small ling cod and a capezon."

You could of seen her on facebook? So she's making a decent living eh.

Say what???

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2174 on: February 08, 2016, 02:23:37 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure better fishermen would have caught a lot more :)
The fish were released but looked healthy to me, and I have seen a ton of unhealthy fish ;D

Oddly enough, rules were lax enough that, even as 12 year old kids, we could row a dory out,set 'tubs of trawl" and hand line to our hearts content. Caught a lot of pollock, tommy cod, haddock even a cusk or two. We salted it down in punchins and barrels to be sold it at Christmas. 

I will admit you do know sick fish better than I would, but with my career I've handled tons of nasty chemicals( butyls,perc,wet and dry solvents, etc.)that I'm sure are residing in my liver or somewhere else and I appear healthy. Somewhat, anyway. Never get hydroflouric acid on your fingers.....
http://