Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1309049 times)

banx

Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1815 on: November 28, 2015, 07:44:08 AM »

Sheeesh. You really need to do some thing better than that. All you had to do was at least re-post one of them to prove my links are crap, or you can take your own advice,, move on and get over it. :)

i thought it was funny

anyways, that's not what you asked. you asked me to post a study saying sea lice is detrimental....  ::) i said go back 40 or 50 odd pages. I posted quite a few studies, etc and so have others. there's 120+ pages of links, studies, rebuttals, questions and concerns..... maybe like 8 if you removed all of yours...  If you can't remember, or are not in the mood to scroll back that's fine with me. there's a ton of information in this thread....  i will let it go.

again, i do read your links, and i find some have personal undertones. it honestly makes it feel like they are being biased..... and  the domain name itself.  most are accurate, i will give you that.  just combining the domain name and the writing style makes it less believable though.

hopefully you find closure with that $60 donation soon.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1816 on: November 28, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »

The way stores are dropping the dirty fish from their product list these day's, Bawb can look forward to selling them out the back of his truck. ;D Better deal than when he was shovelling "Money to Morton"  from the old pick up. No Dire Straights for you Bawb.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1817 on: November 28, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »

The way stores are dropping the dirty fish from their product list these day's, Bawb can look forward to selling them out the back of his truck. ;D Better deal than when he was shovelling "Money to Morton"  from the old pick up. No Dire Straights for you Bawb.
Yes, good to see the Boycott paying off now as the oppositions continues to grow on so many levels.

A recent letter helps as well.http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/opinion/article_4770941a-954f-11e5-9ecf-ff5e6c87302a.html

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1818 on: November 28, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »

Yes, good to see the Boycott paying off now as the oppositions continues to grow on so many levels.

A recent letter helps as well.http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/opinion/article_4770941a-954f-11e5-9ecf-ff5e6c87302a.html
Do you really believe that garbage Chris? Escaped Atlantics' threaten to displace Pacific salmon?  Really?

Did you actually read it?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1819 on: November 28, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »

Do you really believe that garbage Chris? Escaped Atlantics' threaten to displace Pacific salmon?  Really?

Did you actually read it?
Just posting the letter for those intersted in reading it. ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1821 on: November 28, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »

http://www.aquaculture.ca/files/documents/CAIA_Sealice_Info_20Dec07.pdf

Blast from the good old past when fishfarmers could throw the old curve ball. But that's 2007 Bawb. Nowadays their taking the product off the shelf. Fill the truck and try your luck fish mongering the beasties. No money typing on the net citing the old days. Good luck.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1822 on: November 28, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »

Blast from the good old past when fishfarmers could throw the old curve ball. But that's 2007 Bawb. Nowadays their taking the product off the shelf. Fill the truck and try your luck fish mongering the beasties. No money typing on the net citing the old days. Good luck.

LOL!!!  Chris does it all the time ;D  (but I don't think he reads 'em, too busy ;))

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1823 on: November 28, 2015, 07:09:41 PM »

"There are still many problems with closed containment and I would not brag about one that says we are doing it right and sea pens are doing it wrong while at the same time not being transparent them selves at all. That seems to be a conflict of interest to me.   "

http://www.kuterra.com/facts/news

I read the media articles related to that link you provided.  Surprisingly, I found them mostly informative and interesting because usually the reporting on these issues is kind of poor (in my opinion).  I do not see the conflict of interest you apparently observe.  Personally, I have nothing against closed containment and do not wish them to fail – actually the opposite.  Namgis officials make good points about controlling conditions, better able to avoid diseases from the wild, grow fish at a faster rate, and the recycling of waste into things like biofuel.  However, at this stage it is difficult for them because their operations are not at a stage that can meet the growing demand for seafood protein which increases more and more each year.  This is why I believe Aqua Bounty will eventually find stable markets for their genetically modified Atlantic Salmon.  Those fish grow even faster, needing less feed, and are raised in closed containment.  What was interesting to read was that the Federal government was one of the funding sources for the Namgis project which opponents of open net pen aquaculture do not really mention.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1824 on: November 28, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »

These almost seem like form letters where some activist creates these and just leaves a space at the end for someone's name. Shawn Calvert apparently didn't read the Cohen Report either.  Ignorance continues to grow on so many levels.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1825 on: November 28, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »

I read the media articles related to that link you provided.  Surprisingly, I found them mostly informative and interesting because usually the reporting on these issues is kind of poor (in my opinion).  I do not see the conflict of interest you apparently observe.  Personally, I have nothing against closed containment and do not wish them to fail – actually the opposite.  Namgis officials make good points about controlling conditions, better able to avoid diseases from the wild, grow fish at a faster rate, and the recycling of waste into things like biofuel.  However, at this stage it is difficult for them because their operations are not at a stage that can meet the growing demand for seafood protein which increases more and more each year.  This is why I believe Aqua Bounty will eventually find stable markets for their genetically modified Atlantic Salmon.  Those fish grow even faster, needing less feed, and are raised in closed containment.  What was interesting to read was that the Federal government was one of the funding sources for the Namgis project which opponents of open net pen aquaculture do not really mention.
He was quoting me Steve. You are right and thanks :)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1826 on: November 28, 2015, 08:08:21 PM »

I was trying to find out where that quote was coming from. I thought it was coming from the link even. My apologies to Rook.

Anyway, my main criticism with opponents of fish farms is not their desire to have closed containment a reality; instead it is these theories and correlations they keep bringing up.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1827 on: November 28, 2015, 09:17:01 PM »

I was trying to find out where that quote was coming from. I thought it was coming from the link even. My apologies to Rook.

Anyway, my main criticism with opponents of fish farms is not their desire to have closed containment a reality; instead it is these theories and correlations they keep bringing up.
I hear ya. I was talking before about this artical. The funding and who funds the anti propaganda. Neat to see where the smolts came from.

http://www.firstnationsdrum.com/2013/08/namgis-pin-hopes-on-closed-containment-fish-farm/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:20:16 PM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1828 on: November 29, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »

I doubt Namgis will have any problem covering the largest expense of closed containment and may not be all that it is cracked up to be.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=886949

The river flow chart data link is a must see on this link
https://www.brookfieldrenewable.com/content/asset_information/kokish_river_hydro-37702.html

Well at least we tried. I find it most interesting to see some of the "Keep the Kokish wild organizations and individuals" names have jumped on the closed containment "only" band wagon.

https://www.watershed-watch.org/2012/03/watershed-watch-signs-on-with-more-than-50-organizations-to-say-keep-the-kokish-river-wild/

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:32:38 AM by Fisherbob »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1829 on: November 29, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »

Always wondered how the Namgis were going to pay for the electricity at their closed containment site ... now we know.
I agree, it's interesting who some of the "players" are in this; Willie Mitchell is a financial backer of Kuterra salmon, but also signed on to keep the Kokish River wild.  Not really blaming him but his financial advisors should have kept him in the loop I think.