Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1336830 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1005 on: September 25, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »

I'm sorry Bawb - what was the question?
Take the blinders off Nova. I gave you a compliment. As far as the questions, scroll up. I think you do not need to much of your time if you actually take the time to read what you do not want to be asked. Or is it, you are not given the answers from your spongers? For your ease, why test Atlantic's with Pacific's? And for the heck of it, why not put farmed Alaskan salmon and Alaska wild in the cocktail mix? Why not a farmed Atlantic with a wild Atlantic? Or a Wild Pacific salmon with a farmed Pacific salmon? Looks to me that your post would not have near the "catastrophic" message that they wanted us to "obediently" listen to. As I said before, you "supposedly" being from the east coast and from a "supposedly fishing background" should know the difference between the Atlantic's and Pacific's. Still not holding my breath for an answer btw.    :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:46:04 PM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1006 on: September 29, 2014, 11:08:34 AM »

Hey Banx, I thought you might find this interesting. Pro's and con's I guess.

http://protestingtheprotesters.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/hatchery-fish-are-not-wild/

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1007 on: September 29, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »

Sounds like a person with a block of SLICE on her back Bawb. Couldn't find some real information on the subject?

About

I am a firm supporter of resource based industries on and around Vancouver Island. I have friends who work in  these industries and I am tired of seeing the bullying done by these so called “peaceful protesters.” My main focus will be on the fish farm protesters because they are very active in my community.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1008 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

Sounds like a person with a block of SLICE on her back Bawb. Couldn't find some real information on the subject?

About

I am a firm supporter of resource based industries on and around Vancouver Island. I have friends who work in  these industries and I am tired of seeing the bullying done by these so called “peaceful protesters.” My main focus will be on the fish farm protesters because they are very active in my community.
  Not sure what is on your back TB. A small box perhaps? It really makes me wonder why you seem to have no problem with the US doing the same thing as what happens in BC. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:00:32 PM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1009 on: September 29, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »

"Not sure what is on your back TB. A small box perhaps?"

A small box? A few hairs that's for sure but a small box? Just saying the person you quoted from has a vested interest in a particular way of salmon farming and is not likely to be unbiased with information. Also seems to have a paranoia about perceived threats by “peaceful protesters.”

Much like your segueing into US fishfarming practices and wondering, it may not matter really. I don't worry much about what the US does. You may worry because it may affect your livelihood. That's fair I guess. Maybe start a mudshark farm to diversify.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1010 on: September 29, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »

"Not sure what is on your back TB. A small box perhaps?"

A small box? A few hairs that's for sure but a small box? Just saying the person you quoted from has a vested interest in a particular way of salmon farming and is not likely to be unbiased with information. Also seems to have a paranoia about perceived threats by “peaceful protesters.”

Much like your segueing into US fishfarming practices and wondering, it may not matter really. I don't worry much about what the US does. You may worry because it may affect your livelihood. That's fair I guess. Maybe start a mudshark farm to diversify.
I guess my box must be a lot bigger than yours. I consider Alaska and Washington to be in our back yard. So yes, I do wonder why we do not hear about their farming practices, only what we do in BC. American protectionism at its best. American born Doc Morton is all over that from what I see these days. :)

banx

« Reply #1011 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:16 AM »

Hey Banx, I thought you might find this interesting. Pro's and con's I guess.

http://protestingtheprotesters.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/hatchery-fish-are-not-wild/

thanks.... yes there is a concern of wilds and hatchery fish mixing genes and maybe not making the 'wild' fish as pure. that's a definite concern.(for some people).......... your asking to pick the lesser of two evils.  and for me it will always be hatchery supported stocks over farms.

salmon; wild or hatchery, always benefit the environment in their death.  farms won't be contributing in a positive way ever.  even economically, I think sportfishing employs and contributes more than farms to our economy.... especially with distributing the wealth around and not for a few select stake holders like farms. 

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1012 on: September 30, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »

thanks.... yes there is a concern of wilds and hatchery fish mixing genes and maybe not making the 'wild' fish as pure. that's a definite concern.(for some people).......... your asking to pick the lesser of two evils.  and for me it will always be hatchery supported stocks over farms.

salmon; wild or hatchery, always benefit the environment in their death.  farms won't be contributing in a positive way ever.  even economically, I think sportfishing employs and contributes more than farms to our economy.... especially with distributing the wealth around and not for a few select stake holders like farms. 

I guess I can agree with you on most of what you say Banx. But you must also agree that, as big as the sport fishing industry is, we sport fishers kill a lot of wild and hatchery salmon for profit that would have put nutrients in the rivers and streams, fed the bears, eagles and trees, where I can not find proof of salmon farmers killing them. Just myths, fables, hearsay and lies. :) Btw, I know a few people in the sport fishing industry and they have second winter jobs because the industry is seasonal and does not sustain a year around income. Some head south and spend their hard earned money out of Canada and in a warmer climate. Seems to me that salmon farming is year around work in Canada and most of all in coastal communities that need and do benefit from it. 
  Now I have to ask you Banx, just why have we been pointing our fingers at salmon farmers when we have no direct Industrial competition with them? Also the same feed companies supply both hatcheries and farms giving them year around employment. Also I do not hear complaints from sport fishers about what is in the hatchery feed or the chemicals used to keep the smolts healthy that are released into the wild that we catch and eat. It looks like we have been misled with a double standard.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:05:27 PM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1013 on: September 30, 2014, 05:46:12 PM »

" It looks like we (I) have been misled with a double standard."

I would change that to the singular bawb. Comparing feeding trout and salmon smolts in a land based hatchery to shovelling chemically laden feed to farmed salmon in the open pens is inane.

You should think about your posts a little more btw. Your starting to sound like what you think Morten sounds like.

What about the mudshark farm bawb? Give it a go yes / no.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1014 on: September 30, 2014, 07:23:20 PM »

" It looks like we (I) have been misled with a double standard."

Comparing feeding trout and salmon smolts in a land based hatchery to shovelling chemically laden feed to farmed salmon in the open pens is inane.
Actually, fish farms in Canada and Washington State, all salmonid hatcheries throughout the Pacific Northwest, and salmon ranchers in Alaska use pretty much the same food formulations, produced from the same companies.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1015 on: September 30, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »

What about the mudshark farm bawb? Give it a go yes / no.
If there was a market for Mudsharks, and I believe there is, why not?  I have eaten these fish, freshly caught off Tofino.  When prepared correctly they are delicious ;)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1016 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »

Actually, fish farms in Canada and Washington State, all salmonid hatcheries throughout the Pacific Northwest, and salmon ranchers in Alaska use pretty much the same food formulations, produced from the same companies.

So your saying they're feeding SLICE and the same amount of food at the hatcheries as the fish farms do then. Hmmmmm

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1017 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »

Been down this road before....Whether you agree or not with the practice of fish farms in BC they do contribute economically to the province.  Not just the direct employment but indirectly also in goods and services.  I don't disagree with the larger economic impact of sportfishing, but I don't believe it should be one or the other nowadays or some competition between the two (i.e. one makes more money than the other). I think anything you can have diversity like that it's a good thing. Considering that the forest industry in many of these Vancouver Island communities is not like it used to it's not hard to understand that fish farming would be welcomed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:57:01 PM by shuswapsteve »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1018 on: September 30, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »

Alaskan salmon farm (opps...."ranching" or "salmon enhancement programs") facilities utilize several chemicals and antibiotics to treat illness. They also have to deal with sea lice. Ranched fish are also fed fish pellets, are vaccinated and leave "poop" on the ocean floor.

It should be noted that the antibiotic use with salmon ranching, like fish farming in BC, is much, much lower than that used in terrestrial agriculture. But of course, all the chemicals used in land-based agriculture go into some magical pit - never to make their way into any watercourse like the Fraser River.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1019 on: September 30, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »

But of course, all the chemicals used in land-based agriculture go into some magical pit - never to make their way into any watercourse like the Fraser River.
;)