Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1309030 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #990 on: September 19, 2014, 06:59:16 AM »

That was a lot of talk from some one that seems to not be able to tell the differance between Atlantic and Pacific Salmon. :)

http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/fishes.html

A little early for libations Bawb.... :o ::) ;)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:17:14 AM by Novabonker »
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #991 on: September 19, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »

WOW, You sure put a lot of thought into that one Nova. Good work son lol. :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:13:46 AM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #992 on: September 19, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »

Bob that link you posted just talks about the difference between 'ranching' in alaska, and 'farming' here..... though based on the several propaganda sites I visited to research ranching... most of what we do here could be classified as ranching as well.  releasing smolts into the wild with the hope of them returning to be caught.  which is from your positiveaquaharvestingalliance.com

What I did find wrong, as a matter of opinion of course, is that the authors try to say that ranching is better than farming.  It does use less feed per ton. But there are far more negatives associated with farms compared to ranching.  The largest being the effect on the environment.

If these 'ranched' fish come back to their natal streams and are not caught/harvested then they are a + on the environment.  They will contribute to the ecosystem via their death.  farmed salmon will never be a + on the environment and will only benefit the company who owns them.

now back to the original question.... as you posted earlier saying the sportfishing on the island is amazing, were you catching a lot of pinks in the 70's 80's and 90's? and if not, why do you think your catching more now?

you don't need to quote anyone Bob, I accept your opinion regardless of your feelings.
Yes you may be right on your points Banx. We also should look at how much those billions of ranched salmon eat in the wild when they are released from their net pens. They would also be competing with the wild. Their return btw is around 10% from what I have read meaning a lot of waisted feed from the start where farmed salmon has around a 90% return. I feel farmed has taken the consumer bite out of our wild and leaves more for the sport and more to spawn. We may not like it, but the only thing I have seen work to bring low populations back is to simply leave them alone for a few years. It has worked from Washington up to Alaska. Add a bit of enhancement into that pot :)
Oh btw, cant say as I have ever caught much for pinks. Guess it may be from targeting coho and springs.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:35:35 AM by Fisherbob »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #993 on: September 21, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »

WOW, You sure put a lot of thought into that one Nova. Good work son lol. :)

Yes Sir Captain Bawb - About as much thought as a parrot repeating what his masters tell him to from the same old and tired baloney factories;) Here's a challenge you may have to get managerial approval for - try finding some (dis)information from something other than those old dogs you drag out.Or aren't you allowed independent information sources from the command ship?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:19:32 AM by Novabonker »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #994 on: September 21, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »

Yes Sir Captain Bawb - About as much thought as a parrot repeating what his masters tell him to from the same old and tired baloney factories;) Here's a challenge you may have to get managerial approval for - try finding some (dis)information from something other than those old dogs you drag out.Or aren't you allowed independent information sources from the command ship?

So happy you can talk about yourself like that Nova. Your work has begun. :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #995 on: September 22, 2014, 09:27:58 AM »

"Oh btw, cant say as I have ever caught much for pinks"

Can't say you what?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #996 on: September 22, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »

"Oh btw, cant say as I have ever caught much for pinks"

Can't say you what?
Oh look,, the never answer a question guy asked a question. Try taking the blindfold off and read my post fully TB hehe. :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:44:09 PM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #997 on: September 23, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »

banx

« Reply #998 on: September 23, 2014, 11:54:24 AM »

Yes you may be right on your points Banx. We also should look at how much those billions of ranched salmon eat in the wild when they are released from their net pens. They would also be competing with the wild. Their return btw is around 10% from what I have read meaning a lot of waisted feed from the start where farmed salmon has around a 90% return. I feel farmed has taken the consumer bite out of our wild and leaves more for the sport and more to spawn. We may not like it, but the only thing I have seen work to bring low populations back is to simply leave them alone for a few years. It has worked from Washington up to Alaska. Add a bit of enhancement into that pot :)
Oh btw, cant say as I have ever caught much for pinks. Guess it may be from targeting coho and springs.

well this is just opinion of course, but I kind of disagree that farmed/ranched fish compete with wild species for food out in the ocean.  yes they are out there eating food for sure.  But to say that they are over competing the wilds is kind of silly.  Wild fish are stronger, that is a fact.  They would also be more wiley when out in the chuck as compared to some hatchery fish who's been handed everything since the day it's born.

I think, opinion only of course, that these hatchery/ranched fish would be easier pickings for predators than the wilds who have already run a gauntlet since emerging from an egg.  Thus off setting the destruction to wild stocks that have already occurred. As mentioned earlier, these ranched fish will return nutrients to their natal streams when they return. Which feed insects, trout, mammals, birds, the trees....everything.  All farmed salmon does to the environment is give it a beating.

what would you rather drop in the ocean? live small fish, or antibiotics and crap?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #999 on: September 24, 2014, 08:22:38 AM »

Here's a piece from your chum(bucket) and fellow shill-for-hire Patrick Moore.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/09/23/patrick-moore-link-between-climate-and-co2-is-far-from-clear/

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1000 on: September 24, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

Here's a piece from your chum(bucket) and fellow shill-for-hire Patrick Moore.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/09/23/patrick-moore-link-between-climate-and-co2-is-far-from-clear/

Thanks Nova. That was a good read. :)

"If we wish to preserve natural biodiversity, wildlife, and human well-being, we should simultaneously plan for both warming and cooling, recognizing that cooling would be the most damaging of the two trends."

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1001 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »

You are going to like this one Nova. :)

http://youtu.be/WLhilIwK2YQ

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #1002 on: September 25, 2014, 06:36:16 AM »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1003 on: September 25, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »

You just reminded me of some one having the three monkey syndrome lol. I thank you Nova, for reminding me why I left your side of the fence. I felt I was to listen and not to ask questions. When I did, and still do ask a question, there is no answer from your side. At least Banx is willing to chat.  :) 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:13:45 PM by Fisherbob »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #1004 on: September 25, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »

I'm sorry Bawb - what was the question?