Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1339971 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #900 on: August 03, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »

Not to be talked about - It's on the "We can't talk about it" list.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/mark-hume/toxic-algae-may-be-killing-salmon-probe-told/article2133150/
I'm aware of this from the Cohen. I'm not denying that toxic algae can kill marine life. What I'm asking is can you find me studies that implicate salmon farms as the cause of toxic algal blooms off our coast. This is what the article you posted did but is very vague on details. The researcher in the G&M article doesn't implicate salmon farms as the cause; instead talks about these blooms in general as possible cause for Fraser Sockeye declines.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #901 on: August 03, 2014, 09:11:53 AM »

Hard to lift the Cone of Silence (or Cohen Of Silence :o)

http://

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #902 on: August 03, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »

Funny Nova, but you have not answered Steve's question.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #903 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »

Funny Nova, but you have not answered Steve's question.

I wasn't aware there was a timed posting stipulation. I'll work on my response times by climbing into my Delorean and reading the forthcoming posts so I can have the response ready before any questions get asked.. ::) I'm sorry I can't get timely responses for 2 reasons -one is business is booming, sales are up over 50% from last year, number two is the government shutting everyone up or out. You pick.three- I just got back from dropping a bunch of materials and equipment for my upcoming work on Bowen this week. (You can meet me live and in person at Horseshoe Bay, 6AM, lane 69) If you can pry some info out of DFO, let me know who to call.  ;) Ooops - one too many.

Now I gotta go finish my pressure washing so I can fire up the scoot and go for a nice Sunday ride.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

GordJ

« Reply #905 on: August 04, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »

http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/schools/law/lawreviews/journals/bcealr/27_1/03_TXT.htm
Never Boinked'er (since you seem to like making fun of peoples names) I am curious why you have edited this to remove any reference to the date or the fact that it was written by a lawyer who seems to live in Boston? Does her lack of credentials in marine biology make her a kindred spirit with "Dr" Morton?
Or is it because it is a 15 year old study that actually involves American fish farms and has little relevance to salmon farming in the 21'st century in BC?
Here is the submission to the Boston College Law Review in its entirety. http://lawdigitalcommons.bc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1219&context=ealr
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:37:07 PM by GordJ »

GordJ

« Reply #906 on: August 04, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »

OOPS
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:31:00 PM by GordJ »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #907 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:45 AM »

Never Boinked'er (since you seem to like making fun of peoples names) I am curious why you have edited this to remove any reference to the date or the fact that it was written by a lawyer who seems to live in Boston? Does her lack of credentials in marine biology make her a kindred spirit with "Dr" Morton?
Or is it because it is a 15 year old study that actually involves American fish farms and has little relevance to salmon farming in the 21'st century in BC?
Here is the submission to the Boston College Law Review in its entirety. http://lawdigitalcommons.bc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1219&context=ealr

Well Gourd ( or do you prefer Gored? ;)) since that report has someone invented Pampers for fish? No you say? So the poo goes under the pens and does nothing but foul the ocean. That's a fact Jack. And the chemicals used to kill sea lice, the antibiotics and all the other crap involved in the feedlot business have been replaced with biodegradable fairy dust, imported from Middle Earth. Carry on! ( Are you Bawb's supervisor at the feedlot? :o)
BTW - That report echoes mine and others concerns.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #908 on: August 06, 2014, 08:01:32 AM »

banx

« Reply #909 on: August 06, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »

global news was talking about a die off on griege's fish farm... an algae bloom apparantly.  ms.morton believes otherwise.... talked about pumping dead fish 6 days ago, and red spots on the belly of those still alive.

steward hawthorn says its misinformation.

what would cause red spots and be harmless?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #910 on: August 06, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »

I caught the last of that on TV banx ... way more information needed to make any informed opinions but here are 2 possible reasons for the red spots ...
the fish are dying from this bloom, bad things are happening to their internal organs hence some hemorrhaging on the skin or, and more likely I think, the fish are sloughing sea lice and again, immune systems are not up to speed due to impending death so lesions occur.

Jut my uniformed opinion of course  :D

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:40:53 PM by Dave »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #911 on: August 06, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »

Not all dead fish float on the surface. Carcasses can sit on the bottom for weeks before surfacing. Grieg is probably collecting fish that died a week or more ago, but I'm sure Morton wants to say that the fish are still dying of some disease. Like Dave says, the spots could be the result of different things; however, it should be emphasize that fish whether it's farmed or wild can have various pathogens and not necessarily suffer negatively (i.e. mortality) from their presence. If someone says that fish should not have any pathogens because it's not normal then they are either ignorant or they are lying.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:09:57 PM by shuswapsteve »

GordJ

« Reply #912 on: August 07, 2014, 06:33:07 AM »

Well Gourd ( or do you prefer Gored? ;)) since that report has someone invented Pampers for fish? No you say? So the poo goes under the pens and does nothing but foul the ocean. That's a fact Jack. And the chemicals used to kill sea lice, the antibiotics and all the other crap involved in the feedlot business have been replaced with biodegradable fairy dust, imported from Middle Earth. Carry on! ( Are you Bawb's supervisor at the feedlot? :o)
BTW - That report echoes mine and others concerns.
It is not a report. It is a submission to a law review in the States about American fish farms, including catfish farms, by a lawyer.
 The report was written in the last century by a Harvard lawyer to get her name in the law review and if you had credited it as such I wouldn't have a problem. But you conveniently edited out any reference to date or origin to mislead someone reading your post. That is the problem I have with the "Doctor"s various campaigns, like yourself she uses all sorts of misleading information to "prove" her point instead of just using science. And like yourself she has found that it is easier to attack the person rather than prove her case with facts.

banx

« Reply #913 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:23 AM »

thanks dave and steve.  It appeared to me from watching the segment that she was trying to make two points.  1.) this is some sort of 'new' disease.... and 2.) they are trying to hide this.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1495995/biologist-raises-alarm-about-salmon-farm-in-nootka-sound/

personally I don't feel they are hiding anything if they are openly talking about killing 44,000 salmon. as for a new disease, well I don't know if she's grasping at straws. I've seen all kinds of weird things on wild salmon and trout i've caught.  even some stuff like ick or fin rot when I was first starting out playing with aquariums.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #914 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:15 AM »

It is not a report. It is a submission to a law review in the States about American fish farms, including catfish farms, by a lawyer. i
 The report was written in the last century by a Harvard lawyer to get her name in the law review and if you had credited it as such I wouldn't have a problem. But you conveniently edited out any reference to date or origin to mislead someone reading your post. That is the problem I have with the "Doctor"s various campaigns, like yourself she uses all sorts of misleading information to "prove" her point instead of just using science. And like yourself she has found that it is easier to attack the person rather than prove her case with facts.

Then it dovetails in nicely with the feedlot propaganda that Bawb claims to be gospel truth. I'm merely a foil to the non stop feedlot Pravda that Bawb throws up here. As far as editing goes, I simply posted a link that led to the article. I didn't edit squat - that was the same link I read that I posted. False accusations Gordo. You don't know what you're talking about.