Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1309384 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #826 on: May 21, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2014/05/20/activist-alexandra-morton-makes-her-lie-even-bigger/
From Alex
Dear Dr. Penny Greenwood (CFIA):

I am writing to you because an anonymous blogger heckling me reports that:

"Dr. Greenwood, of the Canadian food agency, said that research to determine where one of Ms. Morton’s market-purchased samples came from produced conflicting accounts from people in the supply chain. Without a clear chain of custody, she said, there was no point testing the fish at all. She said there had been no attempt to cover up anything.

“We couldn’t even verify that that fish was in fact Canadian in origin,” she said”

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2014/05/20/activist-alexandra-morton-makes-her-lie-even-bigger

I’m sorry, but I don’t recall having a conversation with you, or any correspondence on this. I don't recall anyone from the CFIA asking me where my samples have come from.

The Globe and Mail contacted Loblaws and they confirmed the fish I was buying came from a BC supplier.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/supermarket-salmon-test-positive-for-virus-found-in-europe/article4100831/

I would be happy to discuss where my samples have come from. If BC markets are selling Atlantic salmon from outside Canada - as BC farmed salmon, I think that would be something the CFIA might want to investigate.

In any case, I writing to let you know I welcome discussion with you on the source of the salmon I am sampling. I know the CFIA gets this information with each sample I submit, but if there is indeed confusion, this is something that would be easy to clear up.

Thank you for your consideration,

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #827 on: May 21, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »

Nice link, thanks Bob.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #828 on: May 21, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »

From Alex
Dear Dr. Penny Greenwood (CFIA):

I am writing to you because an anonymous blogger heckling me reports that:

"Dr. Greenwood, of the Canadian food agency, said that research to determine where one of Ms. Morton’s market-purchased samples came from produced conflicting accounts from people in the supply chain. Without a clear chain of custody, she said, there was no point testing the fish at all. She said there had been no attempt to cover up anything.

“We couldn’t even verify that that fish was in fact Canadian in origin,” she said”

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2014/05/20/activist-alexandra-morton-makes-her-lie-even-bigger

I’m sorry, but I don’t recall having a conversation with you, or any correspondence on this. I don't recall anyone from the CFIA asking me where my samples have come from.

The Globe and Mail contacted Loblaws and they confirmed the fish I was buying came from a BC supplier.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/supermarket-salmon-test-positive-for-virus-found-in-europe/article4100831/

I would be happy to discuss where my samples have come from. If BC markets are selling Atlantic salmon from outside Canada - as BC farmed salmon, I think that would be something the CFIA might want to investigate.

In any case, I writing to let you know I welcome discussion with you on the source of the salmon I am sampling. I know the CFIA gets this information with each sample I submit, but if there is indeed confusion, this is something that would be easy to clear up.

Thank you for your consideration,

Saying that your source is a Safeway or Superstore does not constitute a definite chain of custody. Saying it was a BC supplier sounds like a smoking gun but there is more to it than that.  It is not just where the fish ultimately came from but who handled it, how it was handled and where it was taken between the time the fish was killed to the time it arrived to the lab. In addition, saying that the Globe and Mail confirmed this should be taken with a grain of salt because how much investigative work did they do into the matter.  They may have well asked a Loblaw's spokesman, but there could always be more to the story that isn't discovered by even a journalist.  If there were conflicting accounts from people in the supply chain it doesn't bode well for the credibility of the samples. Basically, if you want to do credible, defensible work you need to put the effort in otherwise you get the response by people like Dr. Greenwood.   

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #829 on: May 22, 2014, 07:36:09 AM »

Steve, that stuff you wrote is almost hilarious, except I think your serious. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #830 on: May 22, 2014, 08:02:43 AM »

Of course this makes us very suspicious of what is going on at FOC as well as the FF issue,very sad this whole situation we are faced with related to fisheries and the hush hush from so many.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/ministers-say-salmon-not-being-restored-in-fraser-river/article18789252/

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #831 on: May 22, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »

Steve, that stuff you wrote is almost hilarious, except I think your serious. :-\

Not as funny as your ignorance on the subject.  In this case I am serious.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #832 on: May 22, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »

The reply I expected ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #833 on: May 22, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »

The reply I expected ;D
What is happening, no response to my post above, I guess you chaps are getting worn down. ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #834 on: May 22, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »

What was your question?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #835 on: May 22, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »

What was your question?
Response to this:

Of course this makes us very suspicious of what is going on at FOC as well as the FF issue,very sad this whole situation we are faced with related to fisheries and the hush hush from so many.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/ministers-say-salmon-not-being-restored-in-fraser-river/article18789252/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #836 on: May 22, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »

Oh, that Cohen thing? ;D  Said at the very beginning it was a farce and the money would have been better spent on habitat restoration; instead we paid lawyer's mortgages ..

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #839 on: May 26, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »