Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1340089 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #750 on: March 23, 2014, 10:37:14 AM »

What kind of whine goes with mushy chemical dripping net penned salmon? :-\

Whine away.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #751 on: March 23, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »

Conley's paper on the history of the industry is an interesting read. I was involved in the "gold rush" days of the industry as one of the first of the trained group of workers trying to bring some rationality to the pursuit of riches and can attest that he is mostly accurate in his summation. As he suggests, as a consequence of the work of anti-farm activists, public opinion and understanding hasn't kept pace with the development of the industry and has resulted in an extremely unproductive conflict between the ideals and opinions of the activists and the real on the ground consequences of the industry. That conflict isn't going to be resolved until it is focused on the "realities" instead of the "potentials" and it certainly isn't going to be resolved by online pissing matches in sport fishing forums.

A Danish friend ran the Hagensborg tank farm and I had a good deal of both personal and business involvement with the operation so I am quite familiar with the requirements for making those operations work. I watched the operation eat between 20 and 30 million dollars of investor money including 3/4 of a million dollars of public money before it's eventual demise and since it is about a kilometer from my home, have kept close track of the various subsequent attempts to make it viable since then. It is currently operating as an algae farm with some space leased to to an investor funded operation trying to develop cultivation techniques for Black Cod. The only reason it is still in existence is that the current owner acquired it at pennies on the dollar and used largely Indian Affairs money to acquire those pennies with the stated intent to use it as a shellfish depuration facility. That lasted until the non-native owner screwed over his native partners and walked away with full ownership and a good beating. It is not a pretty business nor a particularly ethical one.

I understand your sentiments about funding those things you disagree with. I, along with everyone else, am funding the attempts by Harper to remake this country in his own image, Charter of Rights and the underclasses be damned.

banx

« Reply #752 on: March 23, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »

well, it is what it is, I suppose.  At least theres crazy morton to keep them the most highly regulated in the world.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #753 on: March 23, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »

At least theres crazy morton to keep them the most highly regulated in the world.

And that may be her legacy.  Not so bad ..

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #754 on: March 23, 2014, 10:02:35 PM »

And that may be her legacy.  Not so bad ..

Damning with faint praise.... Colour me shocked
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #755 on: March 24, 2014, 07:59:15 AM »

"Despite some desperate efforts by a small, extreme segment of the environmental movement to try to convince the general public and the mainstream media that ocean-based salmon farming is destroying wild fish and the environment in general, some international environmental organizations and national media outlets are taking an interest in the subject, and finding the situation to be quite different."

http://www.fishfarmingxpert.com/index.php?page_id=37&article_id=104509

http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/salmon-farming-gets-leaner-and-greener
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:06:25 AM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #756 on: March 24, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »

"If you are farming fish that eat fish, you are reducing the amount of fish available for humans to eat. Farmed salmon are dreadful for feeding people and for protecting ocean health, though they might make good business sense," said Sharpless.

Thanks for the post Bawby

I already knew that though. People will do anything to make some money. Even shamelessly promote a badly run industry like open pen fish farming. :-\

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #758 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #759 on: March 28, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »

http://www.fishfarmingxpert.com/index.php?page_id=81&article_id=104668

"By anti-salmon farming activist Alexandra Morton: I will comment more later, but that was a very, very difficult day. I was unable to communicate the risks, so much so I had to ask one of them after if I had been called a "liar". It was very disappointing. (Alexandra Morton on Facebook)"
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:31:27 PM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #760 on: March 28, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »

Well now the have good old "Nancy " piping up for fish farms. How a skier turned senator makes a good committee member on any kind of farming seems skeptical. Maybe some perks from the Salmon farming industry?

By Nancy Greene-Raines, the only Committee member from B.C.:

On January 2, 2009, Greene took her seat as a Conservative member of the Senate of Canada

Thanks for posting that odourous link FarminFishbawb.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #762 on: March 28, 2014, 05:36:16 PM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #763 on: March 28, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »

http://www.fishfarmingxpert.com/index.php?page_id=81&article_id=104668

"By anti-salmon farming activist Alexandra Morton: I will comment more later, but that was a very, very difficult day. I was unable to communicate the risks, so much so I had to ask one of them after if I had been called a "liar". It was very disappointing. (Alexandra Morton on Facebook)"
I honestly feel sorry for Almo as her passion for wild fish is obvious, just majorly misdirected in the causes of their decline.  I think this Senate fact finding tour might slow her anti salmon farm fear mongering, and that of her followers, considerably.
Alex, time to do something important … start advocating for the low population salmonid stocks that are going to be overfished this late summer, when the PSC/DFO will be intensely lobbied by all user groups to harvest what they think is their share of returning Shuswap sockeye.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #764 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »

Why Greenpeace can’t – and won’t – ever be taken seriously

http://www.alaskasalmonranching.com/why-greenpeace-cant-and-wont-ever-be-taken-seriously/