Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1339053 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer

banx

Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #707 on: February 26, 2014, 06:56:54 AM »

we can always treat them as canadian cows and puff some corn.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #708 on: February 26, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »

Another interes ting read Fisherbob.  Keep em comin' ;)

delusional entertainment ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #709 on: February 26, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »

Another interesting read Fisherbob.  Keep em comin' ;)

http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #710 on: February 27, 2014, 08:14:15 AM »

Hope animal feeders are looking for better sources of feed oil.

"Fishmeal is also widely used as a food source for variety of purposes such as poultry, pigs, cattle and sheep. They can be of great importance in enhancing the quality of poultry and others by fattening them. fishmeal also fulfills all the protein requirements"

http://www.agricultureguide.org/fishmeal-plants/

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

banx

« Reply #712 on: February 28, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »

bob thanks for that youtube link in the ocean acidification thread.

however, your last link here doesn't address the fact that aquaculture generally exists is open water where the antibiotics are free to swim around and enjoy the currents.

obviously more is used in land based farming, but it's disposal isn't as readily distributed in the ocean.  same with pets.... sure they are given antibiotics.  but they are probably thrown in the garbage to  be in a landfill or they are flushed down the toilet.... and I think peoples antibiotics are more likely to end up in the ocean than the ones prescribed for pets.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #713 on: February 28, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »

What the last link clearly outlines is that there are individuals (in this case economics professors) who are critical of salmon farming, but have no idea about it.  Like I said before....If someone is going to be highly critical of something so strongly then take the time to learn something about it.  The professor in this case shows so much ignorance - making assumptions which are not even reality of the industry (at least here that is).

Land-based farming disposal isn't as readily distributed in the ocean?  If it ends up in ground run-off into tributaries or big rivers like the Fraser why couldn't it can eventually find it's way to larger water bodies - like the ocean?  What about all those farms between Chilliwack and Delta - could it not enter the Fraser River?  Once waste makes it's way to the Fraser River delta why couldn't it be distributed in the ocean?  According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the biggest source of pollution in the ocean is land-based.  Apparently 80% of the pollution to the marine environment comes from land.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/pollution.html

banx

« Reply #714 on: February 28, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »

yes steven. it will eventually make it to the ocean... but it gets filtered by the ground,  processed or pollutes indiectly. 

in larger quantities yes. but not as direct

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #715 on: February 28, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #716 on: February 28, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »

Filtered by the ground, processed or pollutes indirectly?  Hmmm.....well, if it "gets filtered by the ground" then why does NOAA suggest that 80% of the ocean pollution begins on land?  So pesticides and fertilizers are just "indirectly" making their way so that is not as bad?  We haven't even touched on storm drains or even ground water impacts.  How much precipitation falls in the Lower Mainland annually?  C'mon stop making me giggle, banx.

banx

« Reply #717 on: February 28, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »

come on steve. I don't think i'm coming across correctly to you. I don't mean its 'filtered' in a good way. all of what i was saying is bad. terrible. just not good. and its not intended to make you giggle.

all i'm saying is its not as direct. yes it does make its way into water sources, obviously. in huge quatities. its just cows don't live in the ocean.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #718 on: February 28, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »

What does it really matter?  Both situations have waste that directly or indirectly (better to say non-point source pollution instead) goes into the water which ends up in the ocean.  Whether farmed salmon and cows do their business in different environments is a bit of a red herring.  Waste that comes out of the Fraser is free to swim around and enjoy the currents also.  However, it is pretty clear which activities share the bigger piece of the pollution pie as well as the main source of this pollution.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #719 on: March 04, 2014, 06:15:47 AM »