Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1308897 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #645 on: January 12, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »

Try READING what I wrote there Sidestep and not twisting what I said about Canadian influence on American policy. When you can comprehend it states if they pull crap like that elsewhere- then they don't belong here. I didn't stutter when I said that. But again, avoid the blood of the workers that's on their corporate hands. Nice sidestep/ poor attempt at diversion. Stevie, but try READING AND COMPREHENSION.

No, of course you don't stutter - you stumble.  Seems like you cannot comprehend because the study is about Marine Harvest CANADA.  The "diversion" here is posting something (from 2008) from Wikipedia regarding Marine Harvest in CHILE deflecting from any positive work being done here in BRITISH COLUMBIA because you simply can't accept that people in the industry here want to make changes for the better even when it is documented that they are trying.

The blood of the workers...lol??  Nice dramatics there, NB.  Which workers are you referring to?  Are we talking about coal miners from Cape Breton now? 

Canadian influence on American policy??  There's a new one...lol.  Now that was actually funny.  Good one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:29:01 PM by shuswapsteve »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #646 on: January 13, 2014, 07:51:16 AM »

Pro guys are going Chuck Strahl on us.....they can't see the conflict. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #647 on: January 13, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »

banx

« Reply #648 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:28 PM »

that article does a good job at twisting some numbers.  900k is not a lot of money at all. especially to run a non profit.

probably has a few full time staff... probably some kind of comprehensive medical/disability benefits. probably has an office/lab to maintain. travel, research expeditions. etc.    that would eat up 900k pretty fast.

I work for a non profit, my understanding is that for an 'enterprise' to hold a non profit standing they are openly audited and everything accounting related is disclosed. All of my expenses and spending is accounted for down to the last penny.  If you truly wanted to find out her 'salary' it would be fairly simple as she can't hide that.

It also fails to mention that true for profit companies use lobbyists.  I'm not too sure there are any non profits of there actually paying people to sway government decision in their favour.

so, bob. maybe you can just post her salary and tell us how deep her pockets are with cash.  You'd think if she was rollin in money she would take better care of her appearance.

i'm definitely interested to know what she takes home.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #649 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

No, of course you don't stutter - you stumble.  Seems like you cannot comprehend because the study is about Marine Harvest CANADA.  The "diversion" here is posting something (from 2008) from Wikipedia regarding Marine Harvest in CHILE deflecting from any positive work being done here in BRITISH COLUMBIA because you simply can't accept that people in the industry here want to make changes for the better even when it is documented that they are trying.

The blood of the workers...lol??  Nice dramatics there, NB.  Which workers are you referring to?  Are we talking about coal miners from Cape Breton now? 

Canadian influence on American policy??  There's a new one...lol.  Now that was actually funny.  Good one.

Read this and see about the on the job deaths you seem to think are funny. And their wonderful labour practices Sidestep. Now there's something to mock about. Maybe you can get in touch with the families and have a good laugh about it. Only I think you'd be the only one that sees humour in that.

Are we really that desperate for the few jobs that we accept this kind of company to run here? Oh, one more little chore for you - go down across the line and tell them that Canada wants their policies changed. Let me know how that works for you ::)

http://www.puresalmon.org/labor_practices.htm

http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #650 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »

Read this and see about the on the job deaths you seem to think are funny. And their wonderful labour practices Sidestep. Now there's something to mock about. Maybe you can get in touch with the families and have a good laugh about it. Only I think you'd be the only one that sees humour in that.

Are we really that desperate for the few jobs that we accept this kind of company to run here? Oh, one more little chore for you - go down across the line and tell them that Canada wants their policies changed. Let me know how that works for you ::)

That link is a dead end NB.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #651 on: January 13, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »

that article does a good job at twisting some numbers.  900k is not a lot of money at all. especially to run a non profit.

probably has a few full time staff... probably some kind of comprehensive medical/disability benefits. probably has an office/lab to maintain. travel, research expeditions. etc.    that would eat up 900k pretty fast.

I work for a non profit, my understanding is that for an 'enterprise' to hold a non profit standing they are openly audited and everything accounting related is disclosed. All of my expenses and spending is accounted for down to the last penny.  If you truly wanted to find out her 'salary' it would be fairly simple as she can't hide that.

It also fails to mention that true for profit companies use lobbyists.  I'm not too sure there are any non profits of there actually paying people to sway government decision in their favour.

so, bob. maybe you can just post her salary and tell us how deep her pockets are with cash.  You'd think if she was rollin in money she would take better care of her appearance.

i'm definitely interested to know what she takes home.
The so called none profits like Doc Morton should practice what they preach and be transparent about their finances and post it for their donors to see. Why should I have to dig for it? :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:29:30 PM by Fisherbob »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #652 on: January 13, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »

That link is a dead end NB.

fixed and you won't like the picture it paints

http://www.puresalmon.org/labor_practices.html

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #653 on: January 13, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »

fixed and you won't like the picture it paints

http://www.puresalmon.org/labor_practices.html
Kinda sounds like the garment industry that provides the clothes we North American Walmart, Target, etc, shoppers seem to crave ... but   
why are you comparing outdated Chilean human rights issues and their aquaculture practices, to ours in 2014?  As Steve said, it's like apples and oranges and, for so many reasons previously stated, is irrelevant to our situation in BC.

Show me how and where BC or Washington State salmon farmers have impacted wild salmon stocks, here in BC.  Do that and that's when our salmon farming practices will become important to me.  In the meantime I will concern myself with the real issues confronting wild salmon.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #654 on: January 13, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »

Kinda sounds like the garment industry that provides the clothes we North American Walmart, Target, etc, shoppers seem to crave ... but   
why are you comparing outdated Chilean human rights issues and their aquaculture practices, to ours in 2014?  As Steve said, it's like apples and oranges and, for so many reasons previously stated, is irrelevant to our situation in BC.

Show me how and where BC or Washington State salmon farmers have impacted wild salmon stocks, here in BC.  Do that and that's when our salmon farming practices will become important to me.  In the meantime I will concern myself with the real issues confronting wild salmon.

Same company, different country Dave. I'd bet dollars to donuts they'd do the same thing here if they could get away with it. Didn't you post how screwed up the feedlots are making eastern waters and the impacts on the wild stocks there? Does that make them good corporate citizens? And it's not just the impacts on wild stocks, but the impacts from the pollution they add to our waters. You can't ever convince me that the crap they use to feed, medicate and treat the frankenfish doesn't have a profound effect on our waters.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #655 on: January 13, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »

That same “crap” is used in our Provincial and Federal hatcheries Nova, likely more than most know.
I realize I can't change your mind but I do believe the salmon aquaculture industry practiced here by BC and Washington State does not have the same negative effects as we have seen in countries with indigenous Atlantic salmon.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #656 on: January 13, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »

As predicted you have gone into another sob story; however, as Dave correctly pointed out, you and all your fellow fear mongers are quite happy to shop at places that obtain products from 3rd World countries where labour practices are no better......but you mainly like it because the products are much cheaper.  That's where your morally and concern for the poor workers in 3rd World countries goes by the wayside.  Juan Valdez and his friends get thrown under the bus pretty quick so you can enjoy the great deals, don't kid me.  So please, get off your soapbox and stop preaching like you are so concerned for Chilean workers.  It is hollow like the rest of your arguments.  You (and Pure Salmon Campaign) likely couldn't give a damn about them when you are shopping in Superstore when you pick up those Chilean grapes or those Joe Fresh clothes from Bangladesh.  If you are so upset about labour practices in Chile then why don't you complain to those that are ultimately responsible - the Chilean government.

Few jobs?  Again, you are so misinformed, NB.  Farmed salmon is BC's number one agricultural export and employs 6,000 people directly and indirectly.  Go to places on Vancouver Island like Campbell River and tell City Council that it is only a few jobs.  Meanwhile they will be happy to know what your plans are to replace a major agricultural export with something else.

Hey there, Swifty.....Seems like you didn't understand your own humour.  You are the one that said "Canadian influence on American policy" which I thought was kind of strange thing (and funny) to say because it should be the other way around.  I actually paid you a compliment for your humour.  Tough crowd.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:09:39 PM by shuswapsteve »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #657 on: January 13, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »

You can't ever convince me that the crap they use to feed, medicate and treat the frankenfish doesn't have a profound effect on our waters.

BC farmed fish are not genetically modified to enhance growth, so I don't know where you get "frankenfish" from.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #658 on: January 14, 2014, 06:42:06 AM »

And another masterful Sidestep Steve- BTW I'm so glad you're shadowing me so closely that you're able to sniff out the labels on my underwear, and here I thought it was my cheeks. Did you enjoy shadowing me when I shop and rifling through my drawers to read the labels? Mumsy and Daddy wasted all that money on education and you're reduced to looking at others attire and food :o ;D. Pity. I notice a big gap in the less than spirited defense of Marine Harvest , the practices and legacy of the company by you and Mr. B. Another sob story? Pointing out the facts about a company history and expressing an opinion that they aren't worthy of trust is a sob story? Just sitting back or trying to polish that turd is a sob story. 6000 jobs you say? How many are part time and what's the pay scale?
So let me hear your defense of Marine Harvest's past.....

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #659 on: January 14, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »

Get the pop corn ready. Sheeple are producing a block buster on what they do not know. :)