Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1340536 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #315 on: July 30, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »

Comments based on fact or fiction?
"Thankfully the courts in Canada are willing to stand up to bullies and demand that they back up their claims with facts. I don’t believe that this ruling will slow Staniford down in his pursuits but it does send a clear message to activists: do your homework before you open your mouths."

http://protestingtheprotesters.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/fair-comment/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:28:42 AM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #316 on: July 30, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »

About June Sharkey
I am a firm supporter of resource based industries on and around Vancouver Island. I have friends who work in these industries and I am tired of seeing the bullying done by these so called "peaceful protesters." My main focus will be on the fish farm protesters because they are very active in my community.

Sounds like your kind of shrill fisfarmenbob. I wouldn't expect her to be more than one sided though. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #318 on: August 09, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »

Looks like Morton has debunked herself.
http://blog.farmfreshsalmon.org/?p=438

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #319 on: August 12, 2013, 06:18:44 AM »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »

More self serving BS. Maybe Farmfisherbawb, instead of insulting the intelligence of adults who see through your "links" you and the posse could start on the children, like MacDonalds, Coke or the other corporations that find brain washing an acceptable practice.
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »

These days, I prefer to read the news from both sides of the fence and form my own opinion thank you very much NB. :) 

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #322 on: August 12, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #323 on: August 12, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »

These days, I prefer to read the news from both sides of the fence and form my own opinion thank you very much NB. :)

Farmfresh(haha)salmon and bcsalmonfacts are on one side of the fence FYI

I hope you learned a lesson about giving money away to people. Seems like you haven't quoted that in awhile so I though you might be slipping back into old habits. Just looking out for you ...TB
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #324 on: August 12, 2013, 06:12:52 PM »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #325 on: August 12, 2013, 07:33:10 PM »

Thank you TB but it will be a very long time before I forget about donating to Morton's cause. Please feel free to tell me what she has gotten right btw. I have not seen an answer from the anti's yet. Just school yard back talk lol. :)   

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »

http://www.courierislander.com/opinion/dfo-s-management-plan-a-conflict-of-interest-1.130816

"I recently attended the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) meeting to discuss new aquaculture regulations. A five-year plan was presented that speaks of expansion, markets and profits. The DFO should be a regulatory and enforcement body. Concern with industry markets, promotion and economic growth is a conflict of interest.

The plan discusses eco-certificates to meet market demand, but open net fish farms use Slice, transfer sea lice to smolts, have disease and impact depleted wild stocks such as herring through what is termed by-catch. How are they "eco" anything?

A representative of Grieg Seafoods explained to us that they could not publicly share their disease information as it could negatively affect their shareholders; however disease in the farms can kill our Pacific stocks.

In an interview, Dr. Neil Frazer, from the University of Hawaii, spoke of an IHN epidemic in BC's Broughton Archipelago in 2001-2003, indicating that stocking levels of Atlantics in the farms exceeded the threshold for viral epidemics.

"BC's sockeye, chinook and steelhead salmon are susceptible to IHN, and stocking levels have increased since the 2001-2003 epidemic. Even without expansion, stocking levels have already made BC a 'sitting duck' for viral epidemics," he said.

In an article in the Courier-Islander of Nov. 8, 2009 the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association said "preliminary research shows that the common species of louse on sockeye (Caligus) is not the species normally found on farmed salmon which is Lepeophitherius". The Fish Health Report 2007, found on the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands website (BCMAL), state Caligus is one of two species of lice most common on farmed salmon. According to data graphs for the Broughton and Discovery Islands in Fish Health 2007 fish farms show rising levels of Caligus sea lice in June and July of 2007, when the sockeye smolts migrated past the farms.

From the Vancouver Sun, "Sockeye runs near the Fraser River that did not pass salmon farms including, Columbia River to the south and Somass River to the west, survived better than forecast...only the sockeye stocks that are known to migrate past 60 salmon farm sites failed at over 90 per cent."

Why the pink return did so well? For their 2008 spring out-migration, the BCMAL required action of fish farms, "In the spring of the year...if three motile lice are detected must include treatment or harvest." Does the fate of our wild fish depend whether fish farms use drugs or not?

Days after the sockeye collapse, the DFO were in Norway inviting more open net farms to our coast.

Before any inquiry they stated that the collapse was not the fault of the fish farms, even though they were in receipt of a letter of 2007 where 18 scientists warned to move the farms to closed containment and/or off the migration routes.

Just last month there was another call by scientists to move open net fish farms off the migration routes during smolt migrations.

When I asked for a moratorium on open net fish farms until the new regulations were put in place and until after the judicial inquiry on the collapse of the sockeye salmon, DFO's answer was no.

Why doesn't the rule to limit impact on declining species apply to the farms?

The DFO plan does not include closed containment. If we use technology to keep the farm and wild fish separate, we will have a thriving fish farm industry into the future, while keeping our Pacific salmon and the industries and ecosystems the Pacific salmon support.

At the DFO meeting a representative from the provincial Ministry of the Environment told us that he is in discussion with companies that believe land-based closed-containment fish farms are commercially available and financially viable.

Please write the Prime Minister and Gail Shea, Minister of DFO and urge our federal government to move open net fish farms to closed containment before any expansion and in the interim, to heed the scientists request to move open net fish farms off the Fraser migration routes during smolt migrations.

Leona Adams"
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »

Hey farmfisherbawb - I hear Enbridge is hiring in the Fairy Tales department AND I understand there's a serious opportunity in Inuvik selling air conditioners , but the high season won't start until mid November. Since you are falling flat on your face trying to convince anything above an amoeba that feedlots are good, I thought I might help guide you to an easier career path were your odds of success are at least ten times better. No need to say thank you, I just feel good about making things easier for you! :o
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:23:13 PM by Novabonker »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »

More media scare tactics that will go no where. Get back to me when Morton gets something right NB. Btw you would sound more realistic if you had the science to back up your claims young man. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:58:16 PM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #329 on: August 13, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »