Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1343308 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #3136 on: October 31, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »

IS our wild salmon harvest sustainable?
Other than a few sockeye stocks every 4th year, the answer is no.  If people will insist on wild salmon they will be getting them from Alaska, and a large % of those are questionably "wild"
We are finished as a race of hunter-gatherers ... farming is the only way to feed people now.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3137 on: October 31, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »

I could pick apart that link about a thousand ways. It says Salmon in Scotland have went extinct in Scotland because of fish farms. Yet more and more pink salmon are showing up in Scotland each year.  In Chile Chinook salmon are thriving in the wild after introductions from fish farms.  In the arctic salmon are starting to expend their range.

Me thinks the climate change around the world is probably most responsible for the changes we are seeing.

Alaska salmon returns are cupcakes this year with exception to Bristol Bay returns . 70%+ of the Bristol Bay sockeye population rears in the Bering sea.  Guess where Chilko and Adams also rear? a good portion of them spend time in the Bering Sea.  The bearing sea has also seen some of the poorest King crab harvests in recent years. King crab specifically like to stay in waters of about 4C.  Cod populations in Alaska have recently crashed

Almo's statement

"It is clear to me, open net salmon farms are destroying all of the world’s incredible wild salmon; each tearing down a massive riparian ecology with it."

Is pretty darn ignorant

IMO what Almo is doing is hindering efforts to find the actual cause of diminishing salmon returns,

Have a read

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060104389
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:45:12 AM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3138 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »

Harvesting millions of wild salmon a year, then blame fish farms for their decline....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:35:58 PM by wildmanyeah »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3139 on: October 31, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »

Chris did I just read you bonked a chum? Despite the fact that chum are in some serious trouble this year?

Yet you wonder why wild stocks are declining.
Haha!   Didn't you read the Chilliwack is the only river with an "abundance" of chums?  Lets hope so ... they are going to be slaughtered.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3140 on: October 31, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »

I emailed them to ask why the wack was still open the repligh.

"In addition to overall low returns of Chum this year, info. from info. from FIA Stock Assessment staff are indicating that none of the terminal areas are showing any abundance of Chum;  the only exception to this is Chilliwack where it is looking like we will make brood targets."

Apparently abundance is barely making brood targets

makes you feel all warm and fuzzy dont it

Sorry chris i removed my post i didn't mean to single you out!

Haha!   Didn't you read the Chilliwack is the only river with an "abundance" of chums?  Lets hope so ... they are going to be slaughtered.

The sad part is sportties will kill them for the same reasons they are pointing their fingers at the FN fishery. For the roe, Sturg bait and dog food....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:54:42 PM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3141 on: October 31, 2018, 08:57:35 PM »

I emailed them to ask why the wack was still open the repligh.

"In addition to overall low returns of Chum this year, info. from info. from FIA Stock Assessment staff are indicating that none of the terminal areas are showing any abundance of Chum;  the only exception to this is Chilliwack where it is looking like we will make brood targets."

Apparently abundance is barely making brood targets

makes you feel all warm and fuzzy dont it

Sorry chris i removed my post i didn't mean to single you out!

The sad part is sportties will kill them for the same reasons they are pointing their fingers at the FN fishery. For the roe, Sturg bait and dog food....
No we enjoy them and use them and are very good smoked too.There was a lot of chum showing this AM and I noticed the side channels have good numbers too.

As well what we take is a minimal amount in the few weeks they run. So many other issues that cause their smaller numbers than in the past, most of know what they are.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3144 on: November 01, 2018, 09:01:32 AM »

http://shuswappassion.ca/shuswap/what-happened-to-this-years-salmon-run/?fbclid=IwAR3GFWwB44ECGpQvzjSrsblaiLOWB0SXqO3ZacguUfcq6pcM3c1Kv6fOQHM

The watershed watch is really pushing for terminal fisheries and you can see why, Most of the adams run was harvested in the ocean before they even had a clue on the run strength,

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #3147 on: November 08, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/08/08/Sea-Shepherd-Documents-Wild-Fish-Trapped/?fbclid=IwAR3woFk50epnkl2EHIEWLQNNkmEMs-QT1kj1rT-Cfyi4kwzzToKggqPLuGs

I always laugh when looking at photos of general population shots of, in this case herring near a salmon farm(in the article), and in other cases sockeye fry, and the fish look fantastic and healthy not a single lice on them or even a blemish.  Its a challenge for activists to present two different topic without contradicting themselves.  On one hand farms are lice infested and rampant with disease but when they want to show wild fish "trapped" or near a salmon farm the wild fish look immaculate. Hmmmm.
Just an observation.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:04:33 PM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3148 on: November 09, 2018, 04:35:44 AM »

https://youtu.be/72Lqrdb-Ebg Filmed this last night, 150 people honored Eddie for all his work.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3149 on: November 09, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »

I always laugh when looking at photos of general population shots of, in this case herring near a salmon farm(in the article), and in other cases sockeye fry, and the fish look fantastic and healthy not a single lice on them or even a blemish.  Its a challenge for activists to present two different topic without contradicting themselves.  On one hand farms are lice infested and rampant with disease but when they want to show wild fish "trapped" or near a salmon farm the wild fish look immaculate. Hmmmm.
Just an observation.
Hard to believe with all the negative fishery management decisions lately why fish farms are still thought by some to be the reason for wild salmon declivity.
As a past poster said ... if you want to save wild salmon, stop killing them.