Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1338861 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #3120 on: October 19, 2018, 05:38:45 PM »

The only people who can stop this Fraser River carnage are FN themselves - that is where Eddie Gardner and others who think likewise can really make a difference.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3121 on: October 19, 2018, 08:20:05 PM »

The only people who can stop this Fraser River carnage are FN themselves - that is where Eddie Gardner and others who think likewise can really make a difference.
This is where it is.

Steelhead conservation is a significant priority for us" - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Date: 2018-10-13 1:57 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: "Reid, Rebecca" <Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Subject: Fwd: Fraser River salmon fishing closure

Rebecca I know you have seen the e mail trail attached. Please see message from Bent Rods received today. Very genuine concerned sentiment that is shared by most within the Rec community. I am personally asking you to instruct your staff & C&P people to closely monitor the beach seining. This has to happen NOW as the remnants of the Thompson /Chilcotin fish are currently migrating. I know skeptics might suggest the fish ID was misinterpreted by the individual & we can again be told the fishery is closely monitored & mortality is low. Past studies & current observations refute those statements.

Last year the Beach Seine EO fishery reported 25 steelhead intercepted. That's 15% of the total hat reached spawning grounds. We can only guess at numbers intercepted in other legal & non legal net fisheries. I don't want to get into further e mail discussions on the issue & the generic DFO response. We have individuals within the rec community who suggest actions which could destroy the rapport we have established thru Peacemakers & other direct meetings with First Nations. We are not going to get into a war of words with First Nations as that is counter productive. We want to continue dialogue with our First Nations friends & hopefully expand thru perhaps a Fraser River Round Table. We have requested DFO support establishing that table but hear nothing.

I know you take conservation of endangered species very seriously. We need your as RDG to initiate the actions to save these steelhead & wild Thompson coho. Lets all stop the blame game & look at reality. The rec sector is totally committed to conservation & saving threatened stocks. The Fraser fishery is a tremendous Canadian heritage we must preserve for future generations. The constitutional rights of First Nations does not mean exclusivity to the resource. They must bear a significant responsibility for conservation of all species.

Rebecca I am sincerely reaching out to you in respect of your position & attempting to ensure these priceless Thompson steelhead can be saved. I honestly don't know what else to do.

An obvious DFO presence on the river & independent monitoring of by catch could help. That's a call I hope you can make immediately.

Yours in Conservation

Rod Clapton
BCFDF President
Co Chair Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance

---------

To: "Rod Clapton"
Cc: "Andy Thomson" <Andrew.Thomson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>, "Carlson, Mike" <Mike.Carlson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>, "Fogliato, Cara" <Cara.Fogliato@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:54:45 PM
Subject: Re: Fraser River salmon fishing closure

Hello Rod - you are absolutely right that we do care about steelhead and conservation. Thank you for writing to me and sharing your concerns. I will be sure to discuss your e-mail with my enforcement, management, and species at risk staff to ensure this information is included in our operational planning.

Steelhead conservation is a significant priority for us and I can assure you we are making every effort to work with BC, indigenous groups and other partners on this important issue, including the rec sector.

Rebecca Reid

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3122 on: October 20, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »

You really aren't listen to what Dave is saying, Even with Fish farms removed without First Nations agreeing to stop fishing for endangered stocks thoes early fraser chinooks u used to love to fish for will never return in numbers sufficient for a recreational fishery to open.  Nor will the SRKW have enough food to eat.

You also know that for DFO to stop the Seine chum FSC fishery they would be required to shut down all recreational fishing even out in the ocean and implement a 8 week closure window this would effectivly shut down rec fishing for pinks as well on the fraser.  Fred and Rod don't want that they want rec fishing to be open so they can make money.

Their is years worth of court challenges that have set precedence for this.

The real solution is to have first nations agree to stop fishing not just whine to DFO about it.  Cowichan tribes on the island have agreed to do this and the cowichan has been seeing increased returns since.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:16:07 AM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3123 on: October 21, 2018, 05:16:30 AM »

You really aren't listen to what Dave is saying, Even with Fish farms removed without First Nations agreeing to stop fishing for endangered stocks thoes early fraser chinooks u used to love to fish for will never return in numbers sufficient for a recreational fishery to open.  Nor will the SRKW have enough food to eat.

You also know that for DFO to stop the Seine chum FSC fishery they would be required to shut down all recreational fishing even out in the ocean and implement a 8 week closure window this would effectivly shut down rec fishing for pinks as well on the fraser.  Fred and Rod don't want that they want rec fishing to be open so they can make money.

Their is years worth of court challenges that have set precedence for this.

The real solution is to have first nations agree to stop fishing not just whine to DFO about it.  Cowichan tribes on the island have agreed to do this and the cowichan has been seeing increased returns since.
Thanks for your comments, hope you join and work with a group to come to a solution, if there is one. For me at 75 I have enough on my plate to do more than I am doing. I think you know what I am involved in, I think about 7 projects, I could list them but most people know, including looking after 6  or 7 FB pages with videos and pictures that take a bit of time. Of course I like to fish, hunt, play badminton and enjoy 8 soon to be 9 grandchildren, enough to start a ball team soon, maybe I could coach. ;D
Of course you may have a lot on your plate but as most on this site never post under their real name whitch is too bad as easy to say almost anything.

Also forgot to mention advisor to the Maple Leafs. ;D ;D ;D

Off for coffee now and maybe join the weekend warriors on the fishing grounds for an hour.

stsfisher

« Reply #3124 on: October 21, 2018, 06:45:33 AM »

maybe I could coach. ;D

Well this forum has probably helped you develop thick skin, you will be ready for any of today's parents as a coach.  ;)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3125 on: October 21, 2018, 07:56:16 AM »

Chris if you need to free up some time you can stop fighting fish farms and leave that up to the ENGOs. Theirs is about a 100 different ones fighting fish farms spending millions lobby and activists to get rid of them.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3126 on: October 21, 2018, 08:45:40 AM »

Chris, nobody is asking you to personally solve this problem.

As mentioned, FN themselves can be the solution … all I am saying is you seem to be tight with a few FN elders who may or may not have some influence on how and when their respective band members fish.  If that is the case simply suggesting to them they are losing the PR battle with this controversial beach seine fishery may be beneficial to all.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3127 on: October 21, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »

Well this forum has probably helped you develop thick skin, you will be ready for any of today's parents as a coach.  ;)
Done that as an coordinator for minor hockey and baseball for many years. Could right a book on that one, oh and for adults too.lol

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3128 on: October 21, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »

Chris if you need to free up some time you can stop fighting fish farms and leave that up to the ENGOs. Theirs is about a 100 different ones fighting fish farms spending millions lobby and activists to get rid of them.
Nope,will continue to do that for what time I have left. Have worked with Eddie and Alex since the Get Out Migration, I think around 8 years. Great people too with many others as well. Of course without the work of these people  it would be a lot worse.

One day I may write a book one of, the success and failure of what I have worked at for many years.

Could write more but off to church now where I will pray for you too.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3129 on: October 21, 2018, 10:47:38 AM »

Thanks Chris

even with fish farms gone were looking at like what a 10% increase in returns best case scenario?  That's like what 10 more Thompson steelhead?  That's about the same amount that was intercepted in just the test gillnets this year.

Some of our endangered runs need to double a few times over to be opened up again to recreational fishing or have healthy returns.

You wanna look up what happens with over exploitation lookup rivers inlet sockeye. was at one point the second largest return of sockeye on this coast.

Climate change and ignoring the over exploitation of wild salmon will be salmons down fall not fish farms. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:16:43 AM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3130 on: October 21, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »

Thanks Chris

even with fish farms gone were looking at like what a 10% increase in returns best case scenario?  That's like what 10 more Thompson steelhead?  That's about the same amount that was intercepted in just the test gillnets this year.

Some of our endangered runs need to double a few times over to be opened up again to recreational fishing or have healthy returns.

You wanna look up what happens with over exploitation lookup rivers inlet sockeye. was at one point the second largest return of sockeye on this coast.

Climate change and ignoring the over exploitation of wild salmon will be salmons down fall not fish farms.
Of course I know what you speak of, it is several causes but you put them all together and that is why we are in trouble. including the rec sector. If you read the post on rivers conditions I posted this AM you will see so many uneducated anglers out there. Flossing of course does not help as I have written about for years as it brings out the worse of some people. As someone that has fished the Vedder since the seventies I see how things have changed for the worse. That is maybe why Dave gave up angling. Many of us older guys keep saying "We have seen the best of it'

Not sure if you work for FOC but it has not done the greatest job of management of our fishery but one should maybe point our fingers at many levels of government who are FOC masters, remember the Atlantic cod scenario for example/

Time for a nap.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:25:17 PM by chris gadsden »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3132 on: October 22, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »

https://www.seawestnews.com/the-cost-of-farming-fish-on-land/

Its weird bob but the public generally accepts the destruction of habitat and wildlife on land, yet for some reason does not extend that belief to the ocean.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:35:17 PM by wildmanyeah »