Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1342871 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2941 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »

Chris,

Maybe you can apply for funding now from Almo she looks like shes got some serious cash flowing in.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2943 on: March 05, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »

"“Does the governor want to be known for holding a Canadian company to a different standard than that which his predecessors applied to US-owned companies who actually experienced larger fish escapes in the past?”"

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/03/05/lobby-group-calls-on-washington-governor-to-veto-bill-ending-salmon-farming-in-state/

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2944 on: March 05, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2945 on: March 05, 2018, 03:38:39 PM »

Chris,

Maybe you can apply for funding now from Almo she looks like shes got some serious cash flowing in.
Thanks for the idea but all my work is volunteer as it has been since I got involved with this issue.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2946 on: March 05, 2018, 06:51:57 PM »

A little history of Cooke buying out Isicle.
https://thefishsite.com/articles/last-gasp-attempt-to-prevent-washington-salmon-farm-ban

Cooke also invested in state-of-the-art technology and net-pen infrastructure to ensure the long-term viability of the company and the economic benefits it provides

Blah de blah for Cooke those nets were really state of the art.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

santefe

« Reply #2947 on: March 05, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »

I've been reading about this topic for a long time now and my conclusion is that fish farms are detrimental to the health of our wild salmon stocks.  Years ago I saw a video, I believe it was 'calling from the coast' showing migrating smolts passing fish farms in the Discovery Passage/Broughton Archipelago literally infested with sea lice.  Yes sea lice are naturally occurring in the wild.  But thousands of Atlantic salmon in a pen is not a natural occurrence.  That video convinced me that fish farms do impact the wild stocks.
PRV virus is not harmful?  I've never heard of a helpful or harmless virus.
That recent news report of a discharge of some red looking effluent from a fish farm was found to be not so harmless as the salmon farm industry says.
Yes, there may be a place for fish farms in BC but too many in one area is not prudent for the environment.  Lets hope the politicians and scientists make the right calls and decisions.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2948 on: March 05, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »

Chris can you enlighten him about the sea lice isssue in discovery passage. What does almo refer to
It again as?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2949 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:41 PM »

What's this? A tiny admission that there might be something wrong?

"the very low risk posed to native salmon,”
 Although it's lukewarm at best, at least it's a tiny crack.
The part that cracks me up is the wages they say "support families". They pay peanuts to their employees and drive them hard. 
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2950 on: March 06, 2018, 08:52:27 AM »

I've been reading about this topic for a long time now and my conclusion is that fish farms are detrimental to the health of our wild salmon stocks.  Years ago I saw a video, I believe it was 'calling from the coast' showing migrating smolts passing fish farms in the Discovery Passage/Broughton Archipelago literally infested with sea lice.  Yes sea lice are naturally occurring in the wild.  But thousands of Atlantic salmon in a pen is not a natural occurrence.  That video convinced me that fish farms do impact the wild stocks.
PRV virus is not harmful?  I've never heard of a helpful or harmless virus.
That recent news report of a discharge of some red looking effluent from a fish farm was found to be not so harmless as the salmon farm industry says.
Yes, there may be a place for fish farms in BC but too many in one area is not prudent for the environment.  Lets hope the politicians and scientists make the right calls and decisions.
  Do you have any  scientific information on when and where salmon farming has harmed wild salmon in BC or Washington?
 http://www.vancouversun.com/lice+outbreak+shows+links+salmon+farming+report/11728714/story.html

http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/another-lousy-sea-lice-study
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:24:17 AM by Fisherbob »

santefe

« Reply #2952 on: March 06, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »

I have not been able to find that video on sea lice and migrating smolts.  But I will keep searching.
It depicted small salmon netted adjacent to salmon farm nets literally covered with lice.  They were not healthy looking fish.  It made a believer in me that fish farms do impact wild salmon stocks.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2953 on: March 06, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »

I have not been able to find that video on sea lice and migrating smolts.  But I will keep searching.
It depicted small salmon netted adjacent to salmon farm nets literally covered with lice.  They were not healthy looking fish.  It made a believer in me that fish farms do impact wild salmon stocks.

You find it anymore because Almo calls it her biggest blunder. She took all the footage and then claimed that pink stocks in the area would go extinct. 4 years later the area had its biggest return of pinks salmon ever.

She then claimed it’s because salmon farms started treating for sea lice thanks to her pictures and videos.

https://biv.com/article/2017/05/whats-destabilizing-bcs-wild-salmon-stocks

"“The louse-induced mortality of pink salmon is commonly over 80% and exceeds previous fishing mortality,” the study, co-authored by Martin Krkošek and Alexandra Morton, concluded. “If outbreaks continue, then local extinction is certain, and a 99% collapse in pink salmon population abundance is expected in four salmon generations.”"

"And in 2010, the Cohen Commission heard testimony that sea lice and disease transmission from fish farms might have contributed to the 2009 collapse of Fraser River sockeye.

But wild pink salmon stocks in the Broughton Archipelago didn’t collapse – they surged dramatically in 2014. And in 2010, Fraser River sockeye made a stunning comeback, with a return of 28 million fish, followed four years later with a return of 19 million."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:14:29 PM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2954 on: March 06, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/create-wild-salmon-secretariat-bc-green-mla-proposes-1.4564138

Agreed the Provence has total dropped the ball on steelhead.

"Currently, responsibility for salmon falls between 6 provincial ministries and 1 federal department"

6 provincial ministries that the definition of passing the buck.