Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1338847 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2925 on: March 03, 2018, 06:09:28 PM »

Can you see the irony if that happens  8)  and it wouldn't surprise me a bit ... face saving, no job losses, great solution to a politically driven agenda.
Just taking a guess that it would be a different story if a U.S. company like Icicle Seafoods did not sell the farms to Cooke in 2016 and had to deal with this. Looks like Cooke bought some crap that was not updated for many years. Doc Morton should have been on top of Icicle farming Atlantics from the start in Washington as she was in B.C. since they are in her own home country. Too busy campaigning for her home country benefits I guess.  But then again, Icicle is also in the "Farmed wild Catch" Alaska fishery. We are well aware that there is "no" salmon farming going on up there in Alaska LOL.
 As Chris says, that is outside our back yard.  ::)
 https://alaskasalmonranching.wordpress.com/
  it is good to see Icicle advertising U.S. Washington Farmed Atlantic salmon still :)
http://www.icicleseafoods.com/products/Atlantic_Salmon/

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:30:07 PM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2926 on: March 04, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »

"Looks like Cooke bought some crap"

Nice way to talk about your fellow fish farmer Bawb. Its a race to the bottom for you guy's. :P
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2927 on: March 04, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »

Nice way to talk about your fellow fish farmer Bawb. Its a race to the bottom for you guy's. :P

That's where the fish are!  8)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2929 on: March 04, 2018, 03:22:22 PM »

I just remembered SS was always writing how we should complain about the FF in Washington, I am sure he is happy now and will not have to write about that anymore.

That was Bob not me. But I do agree that you fish farm critics complain a lot and miss the bigger picture while you are at it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2930 on: March 04, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »

one day people will realize that farm farms are the only one actually tackling the supply side of the equation.

Fish Farm critics like to portray that if fish farms are gone that suddenly the next day that salmon stocks would be back to normal and will be on our merry way.

They like to completely ignore all the facts about warming oceans, habitat loss and the other scientifically proven facts that face wild salmon.

That kind of message is harmful because were left ignoring the actual environmental factors causing wild stocks to plummet.  Now the masses are buying the quick fix.

In the end we're going to be left with an ever growing demand for wild salmon, with pressure from all sectors to continue to lobby DFO to manage our stocks to zero.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:40:00 PM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2931 on: March 04, 2018, 07:53:54 PM »

one day people will realize that farm farms are the only one actually tackling the supply side of the equation.

Fish Farm critics like to portray that if fish farms are gone that suddenly the next day that salmon stocks would be back to normal and will be on our merry way.

They like to completely ignore all the facts about warming oceans, habitat loss and the other scientifically proven facts that face wild salmon.

That kind of message is harmful because were left ignoring the actual environmental factors causing wild stocks to plummet.  Now the masses are buying the quick fix.

In the end we're going to be left with an ever growing demand for wild salmon, with pressure from all sectors to continue to lobby DFO to manage our stocks to zero.
The solution, move the farms onto land, so many miss this solution to the problem.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2932 on: March 04, 2018, 08:35:25 PM »

The solution, move the farms onto land, so many miss this solution to the problem.
If you actually followed this issue with your head instead of your heart you would know land based salmon farms are not yet economically viable on a comparable scale as open net pens. .  The Namgis experiment proved that. 

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2933 on: March 04, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »

Agreed. Everything has a cost and money is just one type of cost. If land-based pens aren't economically viable then it begs the question: what are the non-monetary costs of keeping them in the ocean? We're effectively subsidizing fish farming businesses at the expense of the health of our local waters. Get them on to dry land and I'm on board.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2934 on: March 04, 2018, 08:45:20 PM »

‘Land based farms in Canada years away from being profitable’
[/i]http://salmonbusiness.com/land-based-farms-in-canada-years-away-from-being-profitable/

"While Kuterra is not yet profitable, Hobson said it is breaking even."

"Namgis Chief Don Svanvik said the project just needs to scale up to become profitable. “If the farm is even twice the size it is now, we’d be making money,” Svanvik said."

“We sell all of our coho everywhere outside of B.C.,” said Don Reed of Willowfield Enterprises, which owns West Creek Aquaculture. “No one in B.C. will buy our fish because it’s farmed. Our inability to sell our land-based salmon is directly related to the campaign against ocean farmed salmon.”

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2935 on: March 04, 2018, 08:53:44 PM »

I have been a big propionate on land based fish farms unfortunately from everything i've read land based fish farms are not economically viable in BC and probably will never be without government subsidies.

you need cheap land, cheap electricity, moderate climate, cheap labour

http://www.timescolonist.com/life/islander/are-land-based-fish-farms-a-financially-viable-option-1.23111387

Land based fish farms are coming and I support them. However I have yet to be show scientist proof that they creating harm or more harm than any other user group to our pacific salmon.

I can however quantify the harm that recreation fishers, first nations and commercial harvest is doing.  Case in point look at the Thompson steelhead, its madness

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2936 on: March 04, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »

[/i]http://salmonbusiness.com/land-based-farms-in-canada-years-away-from-being-profitable/

It's operating costs are breaking even, Its initial capital cost of $4.5 million is yet to be recouped, they would not be covering the interest payments on it, the land was free and there's no property taxes. It also does not take into consideration deprecation of the assets.

http://www.kuterra.com/files/6315/0845/2477/17_10_19_-_Kuterra_update_statement.pdf

its close but not there yet and Vancouver area or vancouver island is definitely not the place to do a land based fish farm.

here is potentially a better example of land based fish farms

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1547322-huge-inland-salmon-farm-planned-for-maine-where-cooke-now-dominates

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2937 on: March 05, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »

I have been a big propionate on land based fish farms unfortunately from everything i've read land based fish farms are not economically viable in BC and probably will never be without government subsidies.

you need cheap land, cheap electricity, moderate climate, cheap labour
It looks like they have the cheap electricity taken care of.
https://renewableops.brookfield.com/en/presence/north-america/recreation-and-safety/kokish-river-hydro

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2939 on: March 05, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »

"Namgis Chief Don Svanvik said the project just needs to scale up to become profitable. “If the farm is even twice the size it is now, we’d be making money,” Svanvik said."
  Twice the size would equal twice the loans, which I would think only brings twice breaking even. How about putting twice the amount of fish in the tanks they have?  ;D