Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1339976 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1800 on: November 27, 2015, 08:25:18 AM »

Wow!  The virus was not found in Atlantic salmon and was found in sockeye 1000km from the Fraser River (and fish farms)  Wow!
Looks like Doc Mortons anti-farming myths will be dealt with in a timely fashion  now with the unmuzzling. The only argument the hard core antis will have, will be, they are payed to say that LOL. I doubt the old, gov are in the pockets of the farmers finger pointing will go away any time soon. :)

Thanks again for the link Aqua. Miller time at 3:00. :)
http://youtu.be/sovKDToTFNE
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:48:52 AM by Fisherbob »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #1801 on: November 27, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »

I think I will be talking to my MP shortly to try to get fish farms banned outright in BC.
Maybe the Minister, as well.

Why take chances with foreign owned companies when they can setup shop elsewhere in the world where there are no native salmon stocks to harm?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1802 on: November 27, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »

You said nearly the same thing 10 days ago Easywater. Let us know how that conversation goes  ;D

banx

« Reply #1803 on: November 27, 2015, 12:17:10 PM »

Why is it when the anti-farm crowd has no science to back up their claim of farming being detrimental to wild, caricature attacks start. Nothing new though. I noticed it all the time when I was believing in Morton. Now it just seems silly. Btw I do not think it is anyones business or brag about who I donate to or volunteer  for these days. Fun times though. :)

really bob? theres plenty of 'science' that says farms are likely detrimental to wild stocks. I have yet to read a report that says an open pen floating in the ocean is beneficial to wild stocks, beneficial to the environment or beneficial to the other organisms in the immediate area....... 

i summed up the cohen report as 'ya, farms aren't to blame, but they're not exactly good either' 

I don't see a caricature attack. i asked if you actually cared about wild stocks or if it was a conflict of interest.... 

banx

« Reply #1804 on: November 27, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »

Another good post Banx, as usual. … Chris does tons for angler and fish advocacy; of that there is no doubt. His work with the Fraser Valley Salmon Society and Chilliwack Vedder River Clean up Society is unquestioned and is perhaps the reason these two organizations are still functioning and functioning well.

Here’s the thing though … he firmly believes BC salmon farms are the biggest reason salmon populations are declining.  Some here, me especially, don’t believe that; we think there are far more and bigger reasons and all have been discussed here and on other sites, ad nauseam.
When Chris posts what he posts, a few of try to show the many younger readers on this site he may not be scientifically accurate, may simply be “posting from the heart”, or what he has been told by others.  For some of us that is simply not good enough, hence our posts.  I think Fisherbobs posts reflect that line of thinking.
I suggest if people don’t like what we say, dismiss it and go on to other things.

Interestingly, although Chris and I fight like cats and dogs on salmon farming here on FWR, and at the Long Table (although he is not nearly as vocal there ;)) we are really pretty good friends … perhaps it's something to do with aging that does that to people with nearly common interests  ;D

thanks. I agree with you on the whole 'not the biggest reason'  and I believe in accurate science. i appreciate the links steve usually posts as well because they do not start with www.salmonfarms-are-awesome.com

for all of humanity's accomplishments and talents i'm sure there is a way to make this farming profitable and better for the environment without them just floating around in an open pen.

i personally feel though, that as man has played god with other species we farm, we have created problems. and I don't think the 'strongest regulations' in the world can prevent mother nature from mutating.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1805 on: November 27, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »

really bob? theres plenty of 'science' that says farms are likely detrimental to wild stocks. I have yet to read a report that says an open pen floating in the ocean is beneficial to wild stocks, beneficial to the environment or beneficial to the other organisms in the immediate area....... 

i summed up the cohen report as 'ya, farms aren't to blame, but they're not exactly good either' 

I don't see a caricature attack. i asked if you actually cared about wild stocks or if it was a conflict of interest....
Realy Banx? Implying conflict of interest? Looks like you want me to post only links that you want to hear. That to me is propaganda. If you actually took the time to open my links and see the links they provide you will find that, yes I do care about wild stocks. There are still many problems with closed containment and I would not brag about one that says we are doing it right and sea pens are doing it wrong while at the same time not being transparent them selves at all. That seems to be a conflict of interest to me.   
   Also, you imply that farms are likely detrimental and then not to blame. Can you make up my mind for me. On top of that, nobody is stopping you from posting links that you would like to debate about. Warning, some of us do not do face book. Join the fun not the fight. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:15:03 PM by Fisherbob »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #1806 on: November 27, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »

Wow!  The virus was not found in Atlantic salmon and was found in sockeye 1000km from the Fraser River (and fish farms)  Wow!
Not found in chinooks either.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1807 on: November 27, 2015, 01:28:46 PM »

Not found in chinooks either.
Looking forward to hearing more about the parasite found as well.  Glad I voted Liberal as now it's pretty obvious people like Miller-Saunders are going to be interviewed regularly and the media will lap this stuff up.  It's all good.
I'm sure this latest video will turn Almo's hair white, oh wait ...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:30:55 PM by Dave »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #1808 on: November 27, 2015, 02:25:16 PM »

I'm sure almo is busy going through her blog feverishly making omissions on anything parvo.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1809 on: November 27, 2015, 06:20:35 PM »

banx

« Reply #1810 on: November 27, 2015, 07:47:32 PM »

Realy Banx? Implying conflict of interest? Looks like you want me to post only links that you want to hear. That to me is propaganda. If you actually took the time to open my links and see the links they provide you will find that, yes I do care about wild stocks. There are still many problems with closed containment and I would not brag about one that says we are doing it right and sea pens are doing it wrong while at the same time not being transparent them selves at all. That seems to be a conflict of interest to me.   
   Also, you imply that farms are likely detrimental and then not to blame. Can you make up my mind for me. On top of that, nobody is stopping you from posting links that you would like to debate about. Warning, some of us do not do face book. Join the fun not the fight. :)

yes really bob. no I'm fine with you posting links from other organizations other than your top three that start with www.salmonfarm. and most of those are written with such personal bias it's tough to believe they are being impartial.

also robert, it's also possible for something to be detrimental and not the root cause of a problem....

take for instance the seymour river estuary. there's no real habitat due to industrial development for these smolts to grow, they get flushed out pretty quick. literally.....a bunch of them end up in the capilano (steelhead radio tagged).....  now ask these same fish to swim by a few farms where sea lice can be, here's the word, detrimental. would a farm be the sole culprit of that fish not surviving... of course not, but does it benefit that fish? no. obviously it doesn't.

does that not make sense to you?

post all you want bob, everybody's got a job to do man, bills to pay. you know how it is :-*

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1811 on: November 27, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »

yes really bob. no I'm fine with you posting links from other organizations other than your top three that start with www.salmonfarm. and most of those are written with such personal bias it's tough to believe they are being impartial.

also robert, it's also possible for something to be detrimental and not the root cause of a problem....

take for instance the seymour river estuary. there's no real habitat due to industrial development for these smolts to grow, they get flushed out pretty quick. literally.....a bunch of them end up in the capilano (steelhead radio tagged).....  now ask these same fish to swim by a few farms where sea lice can be, here's the word, detrimental. would a farm be the sole culprit of that fish not surviving... of course not, but does it benefit that fish? no. obviously it doesn't.

does that not make sense to you?

post all you want bob, everybody's got a job to do man, bills to pay. you know how it is :-*

How about you get back to me when you can sound a little bit less angry next time. I am up for questions, but please reread your post. A link to a scientific study that points farmed sea lice to be detrimental to wild would help. From the studies I have seen and posted, farmed salmon enter the salt water farm disease and lice free and monitered during the time to harvest. By now Morton should know this. Then mayby she does and that could be why her hair is white now. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:13:55 PM by Fisherbob »

banx

« Reply #1812 on: November 27, 2015, 09:17:34 PM »

How about you get back to me when you can sound a little bit less angry next time. I am up for questions, but please reread your post. A link to a scientific study that points farmed sea lice is detrimental to wild would help. From the studies I have seen and posted, farmed salmon enter the salt water farm disease and lice free and monitered during the time to harvest. By now Morton should know this. Could be why her hair is white now. :)

a scientific study that says sea lice is detrimental? wow, come on man,  maybe just drop back 47 or so pages. they are there, several, from the metric tons of antibiotics used, to the condition of bottom, yadda yadda it goes on.....  I spoke my piece. had to back it up and eat my words a few times. but i'm pretty sure the 90's were golden. golden bobby.

for the record, yet again, i am not a morton fan, supporter, or previous sponsor, nor am I angry. 

i know the cuts run deep bob. but maybe with regards to morton you can just....

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1813 on: November 27, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »

a scientific study that says sea lice is detrimental? wow, come on man,  maybe just drop back 47 or so pages. they are there, several, from the metric tons of antibiotics used, to the condition of bottom, yadda yadda it goes on.....  I spoke my piece. had to back it up and eat my words a few times. but i'm pretty sure the 90's were golden. golden bobby.

for the record, yet again, i am not a morton fan, supporter, or previous sponsor, nor am I angry. 

i know the cuts run deep bob. but maybe with regards to morton you can just....

Sheeesh. You really need to do some thing better than that. All you had to do was at least re-post one of them to prove my links are crap, or you can take your own advice,, move on and get over it. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:17:45 PM by Fisherbob »

salmonrook

« Reply #1814 on: November 27, 2015, 11:48:18 PM »

"There are still many problems with closed containment and I would not brag about one that says we are doing it right and sea pens are doing it wrong while at the same time not being transparent them selves at all. That seems to be a conflict of interest to me.   "

http://www.kuterra.com/facts/news