Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If you're going to Lafarge Lake, please read this!  (Read 6091 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
If you're going to Lafarge Lake, please read this!
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:40 AM »

Starting today, if you decide to go fishing at Lafarge Lake, you should note the following changes so you don't end up getting fined for littering.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/2013-04-01-pilot-program-aims-to-remove-terminal-tackle.html

Too often, when we go fishing, our fishing lures, hooks, weights, line, floats and other so-called terminal tackle become tangled to underwater structures. Occasionally we are lucky enough to retrieve it, but more often than not, they are lost when the line is broken off.

Instantly, these precious fishing commodities become aquatic garbage. They sit idly in the water until being retrieved by someone. Occasionally, some wildlife become unfortunate victims of these unclaimed items. Water fowls and birds of prey can be tangled by fishing line. Animals can be hooked by fishing lures, flies, baited hooks when swimming close to the bottom or nearby structures. It is a growing environmental problem with no immediate solutions.

Friends of Lafarge Lake, a citizen group formed among communities around Lafarge Lake, is hoping to make a difference. Lafarge Lake is an urban lake in Coquitlam. It is enjoyed by walkers, nature lovers and of course recreational fishermen. Because it is an urban fishery, higher fishing pressure also sees more terminal tackle lost in the lake and along its shoreline. On April 1st 2013, Friends of Lafarge Lake is launching a pilot program called "Terminal Tackle Disposal Report", which aims to reduce the amount of fishing waste.

Working closely with the local conservation offices, Friends of Lafarge Lake have developed a reporting system for anglers. Here is how it works. In the next six months during the catchable rainbow trout stocking period, anglers who wish to fish Lafarge Lake are required to print out this report form. When an angler loses his or her terminal tackle, he or she is required to complete the form by describing the lost terminal tackle and its location. The form can be submitted in the drop box located on the fishing pier at the south end of the lake.

Click here to download report form

Forms will be collected weekly. Volunteer divers and kayakers, will follow the directions given in the reports, to retrieve each terminal tackle on weekends. Once collected, identified and matched, anglers are contacted so they can claim their lost items.

To ensure high compliance, volunteers from Friends of Lafarge Lake will be patrolling the lake regularly with video cameras. They will document anglers' tackle and collect evidence when terminal tackle are lost. All evidence will be handed to the authority so appropriate littering charges can be filed and fines are given to offending anglers.

Friends of Lafarge Lake hopes to succeed in this pilot project so a province-wide program can be implemented. Such program does not only reduce the amount of unnecessary waste in our environment, but also gives anglers a chance to reunite with their precious fishing tackle.

For more information on the background of this pilot project, please visit Friends of Lafarge Lake's website at www.friendsoflafargelake.com.

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: If you're going to Lafarge Lake, please read this!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »

Will any local tackle shops have the forms as well?

SteelHunter

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »

DFO can thank me cause i usually go around lake with my boat and find those lost bobbers and extra hooks . last year i pulled out tons of line, hooks, baits, spinners. I got some really nice meps spinners . its really back by the eastern side of the dock tons of stuff there .

Maybe dfo can hire people on the lake as there solution to clean up lost gear. Its just sad when you see wildlife 
hooked and drowns. Who gonna really wanna fill out these forms LOL!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »

It is good idea. We should do this for other systems like the Vedder or the Cap.  ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »

ROTFLMAO! ;D ;D ;D

What about flies?
Should I report every fly I lose?  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »

Well according to some fly guys, this is an unacceptable initiative. ;D

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=42918

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »

Do they have an app? It is easier then trying to find a pen.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »

The "Friends of Lafarge Lake" has also hired an army of mobile app developers to write apps for Androis, Apple and Windows with voice recognition and GPS support. You won't even need to fill out the form.  ;D

Shawn6o4

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »

They should just go around the lake pick up all the lures floats line ect and then sell them at the lake for say $1 or $2 something cheap. They make a bit of money to support what they are doing, and the angler could still pick up a few items they may have lost for much cheaper then they paid. Just my thoughts, at the end of the day I'm just happy something is getting done even though it sounds like a pain.

-Shawn.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »

Lol good one Rodney, that's hilarious  ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »

They're still biting ;)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »

islanddude

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »

Orwell 1984

alhambra

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »

Is this serious?
The most important information would be the exact location of the lure, not your name etc...
And who is gona waste time to get back a 3-4 bucks lure?
Better keep them for a sale.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »

Is this serious?
The most important information would be the exact location of the lure, not your name etc...
And who is gona waste time to get back a 3-4 bucks lure?
Better keep them for a sale.

You would be surprise the length some people will go to retrieve their lure. Couple of seasons back I witness a guy dove into the Fraser to retrieve his spoon.