Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lafarge Lake daily limit changed to 2  (Read 5219 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Lafarge Lake daily limit changed to 2
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »

Was at Lafarge Lake today and noted that there is a sign posting that starting April 1st, the daily quota at Lafarge Lake will be 2 trout per day. Please take note of that if you are going to fish Lafarge. Is this change for all stock lakes in the city like Como, Green Timber etc? This is a good idea   indeed so each stocking will last a little longer before it is fished out in a hurry.

bcboy

Re: Lafarge Lake daily limit changed to 2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:53:59 AM »

That's good news for all the families around.  I walked my dog there yesterday and it was PACKED.  I believe they are stocking Sasamat and buntsen today.  Should be lots of good fishing very close to home :) The 2 limit might actually give me enough time to teach the GF to fish.  (slow learner lol)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »

Wonder what the reasoning for this change is.

bcboy

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »

I believe it is so the lakes don't get fished out as fast.  It usually takes about 2 weeks after stocking for the fishing to start to slow.  Maybe now we will have 4 weeks of hot fishing lol.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »

That is only true if people don't bring the whole family with them fishing each time while they used to go alone, or that the wives don't get called multiple times to take fish home during the day while the husbands keep on fishing.  ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »

Wonder what the reasoning for this change is.

Too much exposure online has caused more pressure on those lakes that they can currently take. For a number of people, these lakes had become a cheap source of protein. I have witnessed the same people fishing it EVERY DAY for weeks on end, many of them double and triple dipping when the fishing gets hot (like after stocking it).

By limiting the daily quota to two, at least they will have to stop fishing more often and take the fish home before they come back for more.

As usual, it's greed of the few that spoils it for the many.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

This is a put and take fishery. If someone wants to go and fish these urban lakes every day and take home their limit, they are within their rights.
Double dipping (poaching) / getting your wife to pick up your catch so you can keep killing the fish (still poaching) is another story.
I agree with the limit being reduced to 2, but it's not like we're overharvesting a wild population. These brats were put there for people to catch and kill if they please.

Troutfun

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »

I went to Lafarge today for the first time I now see what the deal is. Easily 20 folks around the lake fishing and if even half are keeping the daily limit of now 2 I can see how it could get fished out . Why not straight catch and release policy its suppose to be a place for families and novice fishermen. To me it would make great sense to teach catch and release to these folks and keep plenty of fish in the lake.

colin6101

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »

I don't know about Lafarge in particular but some of these city lakes would really struggle to support thousands of trout living in them for long periods of time. It would be better to see people harvesting some of these hatchery fish then see a whole bunch floating in the lake.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »

Catch & release will reduce the fishing pressure for sure. There is a delicate balance though and government wants to encourage people fishing and buy licesness to generate the revenue to substain various fish enhancement programs. If only the c&r folks go fishing, there will not be enough of them to generate the license sales for the government.

Troutfun

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »

Enlightening thank you for the input... I guess some folks are dedicated to this source as a food source. I also see how the economics of this would be impacted. I guess for the price of a fishing license you can feed many on stocked pellet raised fish ....hmmmmmmmmm

SteelHunter

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »

i think a few people are mistaken on here about the new limit of 2 , you are still allowed 4 fish per person since they stocked it last and will wont be in-effect intill April 1st. This goes for all lakes with limit change.
Always be aware and read your regs and dont forget to renew your license and that will be offical day of new limit , LMAO lets see how that plays out :-\ ???

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »

Dont think there is any confusion as it was stated in liketofish's report
Was at Lafarge Lake today and noted that there is a sign posting that starting April 1st, the daily quota at Lafarge Lake will be 2 trout per day.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »

I had debate with a fellow angler about what the limit is at Rick Lake today.  He said it was 4 but.  I though it's 2 right now, so I guess I was wrong.  I will be right on Monday April 1st then.