Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for advice on buying new baitcaster.  (Read 13453 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Looking for advice on buying new baitcaster.
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 08:33:11 AM »

Hahaha you totally got me! A**!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »

My experience with Calcutta 400 is not good at all. I think the reel is over-rated. I owned two of them. The first one had slippage problem when reeling in, like you turn the reel after casting and it won't engage the spool at all. I had it sent in for fix and they charged me over $80. Used it a few more months. Same problem. So I thought the reel is old. I got a birthday gift with a new one. This one lasted a year and now the same problem with slippage. I literally had to unscrew the reel to take the spool out, mess around with that lever which controls the spool-engage function to reset something. Then it works for a while and go back again with slippage. Can you imagine after a long cast/drift you can't reel in the line and have to remove the spool out to fix things while other fishermen have to wait for your line to be out of the water? Quite embarrassing literally. I am hesitant to send it in to fix again, as I don't want to pay $80 for a problem which will occur again. I thought I am the unlucky guy. But recently I talked to another friend who owns a 400 and he said the same problem too with his 400. I am now shopping for the Abu Revo or Daiwa Luna on Ebay. Do you have this problem with your Calcutta 400?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:11:49 PM by liketofish »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »

SS, eventually you will find out that one rod/reel fits all is not going to make you happy as different target species/river will require a different set up to get most enjoyment out of your fishing. I have three bait caster setup, a 8-12lb medium rod with Curado 201E7 used for coho fishing, a 8-17lb medium heavy rod also mounted with a Curado 201E7 used for steelheading and a 10-20 lb heavy rod mounted with a Luna 253L for springs. Each rod has a role to play. But most of the time I use the lighter rods as I fish mostly for coho and steelhead.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »

My experience with Calcutta 400 is not good at all. I think the reel is over-rated. I owned two of them. The first one had slippage problem when reeling in, like you turn the reel after casting and it won't engage the spool at all. I had it sent in for fix and they charged me over $80. Used it a few more months. Same problem. So I thought the reel is old. I got a birthday gift with a new one. This one lasted a year and now the same problem with slippage. I literally had to unscrew the reel to take the spool out, mess around with that lever which controls the spool-engage function to reset something. Then it works for a while and go back again with slippage. Can you imagine after a long cast/drift you can't reel in the line and have to remove the spool out to fix things while other fishermen have to wait for your line to be out of the water? Quite embarrassing literally. I am hesitant to send it in to fix again, as I don't want to pay $80 for a problem which will occur again. I thought I am the unlucky guy. But recently I talked to another friend who owns a 400 and he said the same problem too with his 400. I am now shopping for the Abu Revo or Daiwa Luna on Ebay. Do you have this problem with your Calcutta 400?

Yes I have the exact same problem. I brought it in to Riverside Tackle to have it fixed. Unfortunately the same problem happened. (I think the guy didn't know what he was doing). I finally brought it in to Berry's to have it shipped to Shimano in Ontario to have it fixed. It's OK now

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »

Thanks FA for the post. Now I know I am not the only one with problem with the 400. Why do you have to send it to Ontario for fixing. Did they close the local Shimano repair shop? They use to have a shop in Port Coquitlam. Then it moved to Delta (I think). Is it still there? Does it cost you quite a bit to have it shipped so far for fixing?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »

SS, eventually you will find out that one rod/reel fits all is not going to make you happy as different target species/river will require a different set up to get most enjoyment out of your fishing. I have three bait caster setup, a 8-12lb medium rod with Curado 201E7 used for coho fishing, a 8-17lb medium heavy rod also mounted with a Curado 201E7 used for steelheading and a 10-20 lb heavy rod mounted with a Luna 253L for springs. Each rod has a role to play. But most of the time I use the lighter rods as I fish mostly for coho and steelhead.

I have 5-6 different rods but only 1 reel I use on regular basis that I put on each rod depending on what I'm targeting.
But in general if you get a 10-20lb rod that has a sensitive rod tip and strong butt section you will cover coho, steelhead and springs.
Although I find for springs I like rods with stiffer rod tips. Sets the hook better on those bigger fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »

Thanks FA for the post. Now I know I am not the only one with problem with the 400. Why do you have to send it to Ontario for fixing. Did they close the local Shimano repair shop? They use to have a shop in Port Coquitlam. Then it moved to Delta (I think). Is it still there? Does it cost you quite a bit to have it shipped so far for fixing?

Shimano moved their repair centre to Ontario. Doesn't make much sense to send your reel on a cross country trip

kalex60

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 07:45:14 PM »

I have a 400b on a 10'6" technium in good condition text me 7786895700 if you are looking for one