Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wut do the numbers and letters mean?  (Read 10436 times)

brad7

wut do the numbers and letters mean?
« on: February 21, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »

So I tried cruising Wikipedia and goggle to figure out what the numbers and letters on sage rod mean, but I had no luck. Can anyone enlighten me? 3106? Wut line rating? Wut power? Wut action? Wut handle style? Wut length?

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: wut do the numbers and letters mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »

3 power 10' 6"

brad7

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »

Wut is 3 power?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:44:41 PM »

Wut is 3 power?

3-power = a rod of great strength, suitable for most rivers and species, except maybe for the biggest chinook in the Fraser and Thomson and Skeena steelhead. Overkill for coho and pink salmon, IMO.

The higher the power, the heavier the setup you can toss out.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:28:42 AM »

Wut is 3 power?

Letter spell words.  "Wut" isn't a word.

Pin-nook

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »

I was looking through Wikipedia and couldn't find the word "Wut", can someone please explain? ;D ;)

I'm pretty sure if you do a search there's a thread talking about Sage's and how they are broken down in terms of power, action, and length.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »

I was looking through Wikipedia and couldn't find the word "Wut", can someone please explain? ;D ;)

LMAO!!!   ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »

I can explain.  You are using the wrong resources.  :P
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wut

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:19:17 PM »

I can explain.  You are using the wrong resources.  :P
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wut

I hate it when the Easter Bunny does that LOL urban dictionary is the best!

There have been many discussions on the meanings of model numbers for Sage rods, try searching "sage" or the specific model number on the forum. What is the exact model number of your 3106? There were many different 3106 models made, some came only as blanks.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

poper

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »

Don't think a 3power is over kill for coho and pinks, but that's my opinion,it's pretty much an all around power for salmon and steelhead.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »

http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/SAGE-CP-Gear-Rods-_p_332.html

That's some of the info for the green blank sage rods, what about all the brown blanks...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »

That's some of the info for the green blank sage rods, what about all the brown blanks...

something from the archives, hope this helps....

Hi folks. I thought I had better jump in here and clarify a few things. First off, so everyone understands where I'm coming from, I have run the Sage Gear program for the past two years. Any and all changes are my responsibility. I initiated the factory rods and was responsible for the colour change. I develop all of the new models and decide which old ones stay.

For the record, the new green blanks are exactly the same as the old brown blanks. Colour change only. Now before everyone starts giving me anecdotal stories about differences in action, let me explain a few things. Some of those blanks have been around for almost 20 years. In that time, there has been changes in basic raw materials - graphite, resin, etc. Sage has always attempted to maintain the exact actions as the originals, but I'm not going to say that it's impossible, over the span of 20 years, to not find some subtle differences within specific models. I will tell you, however, that the new green blanks are manufactured exactly the same as any brown blanks manufactured in the 3 or 4 years prior to my involvement. Rest assured that each and every Sage Gear rod is still being manufactured at our plant on Bainbridge Island WA. We have developed some new models - currently CT296F, CT396F, SP196. These can all be viewed at www.sagegearrods.com I am currently working on some new designs for down the road which are very exciting - Stay tuned!

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Brian Babcock

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »

Sage 3 power has a wide range, from 3106L which is really a slow action 2106 to 3106 CT rod which is a heavy steelhead/salmon casting rod rated 10-20lb line.
For lower mainland coho, I could use a 3106L CP (which I use for steelheading) for coho, but a 2106L CP would be more enjoyable to use IMO.
For baitcasters, I do occasionally use my 2106 CT for coho, but most of the time I end up using my Lamiglas rod rated at 8-12lb as I find it more enjoyable.
For pinks, I go spinning with light power spinning rod of 6-10lb rating.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »

3-power = a rod of great strength, suitable for most rivers and species, except maybe for the biggest chinook in the Fraser and Thomson and Skeena steelhead. Overkill for coho and pink salmon, IMO.

The higher the power, the heavier the setup you can toss out.
A 3 power is great lowermainland rod for most salmon steelhead , if you target chinook i would bump up to a 4 power 4110 ,4120 ......2 power is good for summer steelhead and smaller coho.